Dinosaur eggs from Guizhou

Crazyhen

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Those ichnofossils always confuse me, but I can say those are some nice eggs!

I don't think dinosaur eggs are ichnofossils they have real eggshell around them

9 hours ago, Troodon said:

How is Hong Kong treated in this stiuation since it's China.  Are vertebrate fossils illegal from China into Hong Kong

You’re correct since we implement one country two systems.  It is illegal to ‘export’ fossil from Mainland China to Hong Kong.

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I don't thing dinosaur eggs are ichnofossils they have real eggshell around them

Sorry meant trace fossils. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

43 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Sorry meant trace fossils. 

Eggs are not "trace" fossils either.

They are a living organic, so they are true fossils.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

Eggs are not "trace" fossils either.

They are a living organic, so they are true fossils.

I’d always been told otherwise, but this could be wrong...:headscratch:

From university of buffalo: “...the egg itself is the trace fossil, whereas any bodily remains of an embryo constitute a body fossil.”

From Wikipedia:

“As evidence of the physiological processes of an animal, egg fossils are considered a type of trace fossil.”

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

From university of buffalo: “...the egg itself is the trace fossil, whereas any bodily remains of an embryo constitute a body fossil.”

From Wikipedia:

“As evidence of the physiological processes of an animal, egg fossils are considered a type of trace fossil.”

That is a new one on Me. Never would have thunk it.

Seems illogical to Me, but I do not make those choices.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

36 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

From Wikipedia:

New one on me trace fossils typically consist of an imprint of fossil or a mark left by an organism.  Eggshell is a physical remain

• I found this Informative 1

I guess some things can be both. 

A trace fossil, to me, has always meant the evidence that an organism once lived or moved past this spot, impressions, tracks, burrows, bore holes and that sort of thing. But eggshell would be the trace of whatever laid it as well as the actual physical evidence of the egg itself, as an individual fossil in its own right. So, likewise, a coprolite could be considered a trace fossil as well as being an actual fossil and indeed often containing actual fossils of the depositor's lunch. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Fossilized eggs can also contain embryonic bones so how is that a trace fossil?  I just think it's a stretch to think eggs as trace fossils.  I think poo is a trace fossil :D

13 hours ago, Troodon said:

The eggs in last clutch are much too small to be standard hadrosaur type that we see sold but fit dendroolithus or spheroolithus morphology slightly oval and 12 cm.  To try to speculate beyond that is a reach since we do not know the specific age or formation they were collected in.   I can say it's a very nice clutch that I would love to have them in my collection. 

Edit:

Found this in a paper.  Is Ganzhou same as Ginzhou?

Nanxiong Fm.:  The redbeds of the Nanxiong Basin, Guangdong, may be divided into an upper and lower formations, for the lower section of the Nanxiong Fm. produces such forms as dinosaurs, turtles, and fossil eggs.  The upper section's Luofozhai member produces Middle to Late Paleocene Amblypoda. The lower unit contains such elements as  Nanhshiungochelys wachingensis, Microhadrosaurus nanshiungensis, Nanshingosaurus brevispinus,  Tyrannosauridae indet., Coelurosauria indet.,  Oolithes elongatus, O. spheroidas, O. rugustus,  and  O. nanshingensis.   Fossil preservation in the Nanxiong Fm. is fragmentary, but undoubtedly the Fm. belongs to the Upper Cretaceous based upon the presence of hadrosaurs and tyrannosaurs.  C.C. Young conducted detailed research upon the fossil eggs and believed the egg-producing lithologies at Nanxiong and Ganzhou belonged to the upper Upper Cretaceous.

Dong_80.pdf

Guizhou is located in the southwestern part of China, it is not Ganzhou where you find the Ganzhousaurus.  Recently, a group of Chinese scientists have found massive dinosaur footprints in Maotai, Guizhou.  It is believed to be the largest cluster of sauropod footprint fossils ever found in China dating from the early Jurassic period.footprint.jpg.24a2a52bd3ddf0137d6f03adf4affd19.jpg

20 hours ago, Haravex said:

Included is my two pieces of Macrooolithus might help with identification. 

Nice Macrolithus. I've heard they are Oviraptorid, or theropod eggs.

1 hour ago, Crazyhen said:

How about the following eggs?  Are they genuine?

I wish the dealer would stop waiting his eggs. They make them harder to identify, if anything.

Anyway, these eggs look real to me too.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Don't think it has epoxy coating.  It looks just like the seller only wet the eggs to highlight the features.  And guys, you would surely be amazed to look at this picture!KIWA1137.thumb.JPG.2abb9851f89d94b530a78bde23e10401.JPG

Wow , beautiful an entire nest, now that belongs in a museum.   Do museums buy from diggers like they do in this country or just confiscate the specimen

15 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Wow , a beautiful an entire nest, now that belongs in a museum.   Do museums buy from diggers like they do in this country or just confiscate the specimen

As far as I understand, public members who found dinosaur eggs are requested to donate their finds to museums.  I am not sure if museums would buy from diggers as trading of dinosaur eggs are forbidden.

19 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Don't think it has epoxy coating.  It looks just like the seller only wet the eggs to highlight the features.  And guys, you would surely be amazed to look at this picture!KIWA1137.thumb.JPG.2abb9851f89d94b530a78bde23e10401.JPG

Wow!