I might have one this time!

kerrimarie805

I live very near New Hope in a very narrow spot that, we've been told, is a geological anomaly. Not only have I had crinoids, brachiopods, corals, and ferns identified, but I also think I do have two poorly preserved trilobites. I'm trying to get decent pics for positive identification, but I rather hope I don't find a better specimen as the trilobites give me the heebie jeebies!

On 12/6/2017 at 8:39 AM, Plax said:

Only fossils I know of from Bucks County are some Cambrian Trilobites up near New Hope in a small quarry near the river (from the Book Fossil collecting in Pennsylvania). Here's a link from a google search I did just now:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00357529.1966.11765556?journalCode=vram20

I looked at the link and the maps included in the article. That narrow spot I mentioned, where I live, is the narrow strip shown in the article. I live about two miles from the river, about where the strip begins, and the quarry is just up river not far. I have pictures of it, actually, from days out photographing the fall foliage. I'm going to start looking down instead of up the next time I'm down there, tho we've found plenty 100 feet from our back door.

• I found this Informative 1

Would love to see pics! Those trilos were tough to spot at the best of times. Great to read that they are accessible so near to your place. Mine were collected in the quarry about 30 years ago and I don't even know if I could find them in my collection. Grew up in Delaware County so this was the closest trilo spot for me.

I have pics of the trees around the quarry, not of any trilobites. We've found several other things, but no trilobotes to the best of my knowledge. My husband thinks we may have two, possibly poorly preserved trilobites, but I'm not so sure. I'm getting better at recognizing our finds and identifying what we already have, tho, so I'll be right back here if I do get good pics of even one of those creepy little things!

• 1 year later...

Greetings all,

Am new to this site and came across this older posting.  This quarry is close to where I live in Bucks County.  Am trying to locate it and I believe I know the general area ... however, the name of the street intersecting Rt 32 is not the same and may have changed.  Would anyone have better directions to the quarry location?

2 hours ago, Rainier42 said:

Greetings all,

Am new to this site and came across this older posting.  This quarry is close to where I live in Bucks County.  Am trying to locate it and I believe I know the general area ... however, the name of the street intersecting Rt 32 is not the same and may have changed.  Would anyone have better directions to the quarry location?

Looks to me like they are gone/filled in, or it is the quarry that looks active still. 

New Hope.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for getting back to me ... is what I was thinking as I looked at the satellite map as well.  Only hope is the last post above was made at the end of 2017 and I don't believe this area was developed in 2018 at all.  Hopefully we are both missing something.

• 2 years later...
On 12/6/2017 at 8:39 AM, Plax said:

Only fossils I know of from Bucks County are some Cambrian Trilobites up near New Hope in a small quarry near the river (from the Book Fossil collecting in Pennsylvania). Here's a link from a google search I did just now:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00357529.1966.11765556?journalCode=vram20

I live in Bucks and actually have one of the original books that this article is in. Found it online after a Google search on BC fossils and bought it. I've often wanted to go looking for this spot. 

On 2/26/2019 at 1:47 PM, Rainier42 said:

Greetings all,

I'm in Bucks as well and have often wanted to go looking for this spot. Have you had any success finding it? 

On 12/12/2017 at 6:27 PM, KraZshardLady said:

I looked at the link and the maps included in the article. That narrow spot I mentioned, where I live, is the narrow strip shown in the article. I live about two miles from the river, about where the strip begins, and the quarry is just up river not far. I have pictures of it, actually, from days out photographing the fall foliage. I'm going to start looking down instead of up the next time I'm down there, tho we've found plenty 100 feet from our back door.

Hi, I also live in Bucks and am closer to the river as well in that area. I have the booklet this article is in. Found it online. Have you had any success finding it?  

• 2 years later...

I've check street and satellite views of the Quarry location. The street to access it off of River Rd (32) doesn't seem to exist. Appears you'd have to go through private property to access where the quarry was located. 

Would love to hear if you can access elsewhere, legally. It's less than a 30min drive from me. I'd be there all the time! 

Eric - @philly_fossil_collector on Instagram