Max-fossils

Finally spotted this posting. Great trip report. Cris & Kyle took good care of you and you came away with a great sampling of what Florida rivers have to offer if you stand in them with a sifting screen rather than floating by in a canoe like most visitors so.

I've been in the Peace many times over the past decade but have yet to dip my toes into the Santa Fe. I think 2018 is the year to do so.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

@digit thanks, and yes it was indeed a fantastic trip. And I do definitely recommend going to the Santa Fe once, the variety of mammal fossils (and the abundance too!) is absolutely stunning! LOTS of reptile too! If you are more of a shark-tooth-lover, then you might like the site a little less, there are a few Eocene teeth but kinda uncommon. Luckily I love mammal stuff, so that wasn't a problem for me :)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

@Max-fossils I have been off the forum for awhile and just came across your thread. I am glad that you had a great hunt in Florida! After you told me that you were going, I had been wondering how everything turned out for you. Congratulations! 

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I also missed out on this report until now and just wanted to say thanks for all the information about the successful hunt, the activities of Cris & Kyle and the great photos of that beautiful area.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Darktooth thanks Dave! It sure was a lot of fun :ighappy:

@Ludwigia thanks, and I'm glad you liked the report :)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

On 1/22/2018 at 1:29 AM, Echinoid said:

Awesome finds! I wish Aus had fossils like that! 

Haha, thanks! Just saying though, I am honestly astonished by the fossils Australia seems to offer. I mean, @Ash and @Jesuslover340 ALWAYS find absolutely fantastic stuff there!!! Also, I heard of a place called Beaumaris, where cool fossils could be found, right?

Max Derème

19 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Also, I heard of a place called Beaumaris, where cool fossils could be found, right?

Yup. Cool place with a possibly uncertain future. Tammy and I spent a few hours there back in October 2016 when we visited Australia. You'll find my trip report (and several others if you search for 'Beaumaris' on this forum). Here is a link to the types of fossils that can be found there:

http://www.nobeaumarismarina.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Fossils-of-Beaumaris.pdf

We obtained local permission to export the very common Lovenia woodsi echinoids (about the size of chestnuts). Australia has strict laws on the exports of their 'cultural heritage' fossils being included so we obtained a letter of permission from the invertebrate curator of the Victoria Museum. These echinoids have been more than amply represented in local scientific collections.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

19 hours ago, Archie said:

Awesome photos and finds!

59 minutes ago, digit said:

Yup. Cool place with a possibly uncertain future. Tammy and I spent a few hours there back in October 2016 when we visited Australia. You'll find my trip report (and several others if you search for 'Beaumaris' on this forum). Here is a link to the types of fossils that can be found there:

http://www.nobeaumarismarina.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Fossils-of-Beaumaris.pdf

We obtained local permission to export the very common Lovenia woodsi echinoids (about the size of chestnuts). Australia has strict laws on the exports of their 'cultural heritage' fossils being included so we obtained a letter of permission from the invertebrate curator of the Victoria Museum. These echinoids have been more than amply represented in local scientific collections.

Cheers.

-Ken

I did indeed look for Beaumaris yesterday after having mentioned the name here. I hear there is talk about it becoming a World Heritage Site?  Seems like an awesome place anyways, I'll definitely try to go there when I go to Australia (which hopefully will be soon!).

Max Derème

On 24/01/2018 at 6:36 AM, Max-fossils said:

Haha, thanks! Just saying though, I am honestly astonished by the fossils Australia seems to offer. I mean, @Ash and @Jesuslover340 ALWAYS find absolutely fantastic stuff there!!! Also, I heard of a place called Beaumaris, where cool fossils could be found, right?

Not ALWAYS :P 

As Digit stated, though, anyone wishing to visit Aus, look for fossils, and export them will need to get the appropriate export permit(s), preferably ahead of time, as they can take awhile to obtain. 

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

2 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Not ALWAYS :P 

As Digit stated, though, anyone wishing to visit Aus, look for fossils, and export them will need to get the appropriate export permit(s), preferably ahead of time, as they can take awhile to obtain. 

Very often still haha. I really love these croc jaws, they're incredible! I somehow have the feeling that I rather visit your basement (or wherever it is you keep all your treasures) than the AMNH :P

I will take into account that thing about the permit, as I know Australia is on my family's travel-destinations-bucket list (and on mine too!). 

Max Derème

Just seeing this now for some reason.  You obviously had a great trip!  Could you point out the dire wolf jaw?

When I lived in the Netherlands (a long time ago I must admit, somewhere around 1971/1972) I had a teacher who had some great mastodon/mammoth/woolly rhinoceros teeth and bones he got from North Sea fishermen.  Apparently the bones would get tangled in their nets as they dragged along the sea bottom.

Don

21 hours ago, Xiphactinus said:

Thanks for taking us along!

Glad you enjoyed the report!

18 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Just seeing this now for some reason.  You obviously had a great trip!  Could you point out the dire wolf jaw?

When I lived in the Netherlands (a long time ago I must admit, somewhere around 1971/1972) I had a teacher who had some great mastodon/mammoth/woolly rhinoceros teeth and bones he got from North Sea fishermen.  Apparently the bones would get tangled in their nets as they dragged along the sea bottom.

Don

Thanks, and I did indeed have a great trip. ^_^

Unfortunately, I am having trouble uploading images on TFF recently (@Cris and @Fossildude19 are already investigating the problem), but once the problem gets solved I will show you a good picture of the dire wolf jaw. You can see it though in the two photos of the finds: in the 1st one it is completely at the top; in the second photo it's the fossil that is in the other hand. You can recognize it by the holes which represent the tooth sockets. You can also see some good pictures on the Vertebrate Fossil Find of the Month of December 2017. Note that it is not complete, and unfortunately only half a tooth remains; it's still a rare find nonetheless.

Yeah, the North Sea is well known for its awesome Pleistocene mammal bones! In fact, quite a few scientists now go with a fishersboat equipped with a big sturdy net onto the North Sea for the purpose of fishing those fossil bones. I really wish to participate in one of these "bottenvistochten" one day, but unfortunately it seems like they are not really open to the public. Luckily, the bones sometimes wash up on the Dutch coast; also some locations along the Dutch coast (including the Zandmotor, my usual hunting spot) have been refilled with sand from the North Sea, so the fossils got sucked along. Though of course I find a lot less, I am still quite happy. 

Max Derème