Sept Nodule From Poc After We Cut It And Somewhat Polished It.

danielp

Still needs some finer polishing. Just thought I would share the pic. Thanks Barry for showing me these things.

post-1942-1249832712_thumb.jpg

tj has broken open septaria from a number of locations in north texas and some are much harder and more interesting inside than others, so keep an eye out for them at different places. for the most part, they are sort of a mudstone-type composition up there and therefore won't really polish like the ones out west, but the crystal formations inside can still be pretty cool.

there are places up there where the concretions form around fossils.

tj found several septaria once in the stone city bluff that were black inside, almost carbonized looking, and one of them had delicate little yellow "bouquets" of calcite crystals growing in it, which looked really cool against the black background. one of the septaria that day was near the river's edge, and it had ice crystals inside, which pretty much means we were being crazy that day to be there at all...

Very cool Daniel! I've got some polished free-form "sculptures" and spheres from Madagascar. My husband calls the spheres "giraffe balls" because they look just like a giraffe! :P

great stuff. by the way, the brown crystals are aragonite, which is also calcium carbonate, but with a different crystalline structure from calcite.

I love the nodule. I have a porch full of them. I have a few that I have tried to shape them on my grinder, but it doesnt seem to work very well. I believe the "Mudstone" theory that Tracer has is close. Cant polish mud can ya??

I have some that have "dog teeth" little crystals that look a lot like small teeth all over them.

What do you use for polish?

Still needs some finer polishing. Just thought I would share the pic. Thanks Barry for showing me these things.

Are those geodes coming out of the Eagleford Shell? Have you ever found any with water in them? I always wondered if that water would be millions of years old. I used to get them from a pit on Chalk Hill road just off Fort Worth Ave. I would love to get permission, this time, to go in there again. Lots of shells & ammonites with mother-of-pearl have been found there over the years. The "dump piles" are also worth going through. Dove hunting was great there also. My fish slab was found behind that pit, close to Loop12. Ah the good ole days, fossil huntin' & shooting dove both within Dallas city limits. :rolleyes:

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Are those geodes coming out of the Eagleford Shell?

Yes they are! I'll grab you one if you would like????

Dang, that ones looks eerily similar to one I found 3 weeks ago.

Wow,at first before I opened the pic it looked like a Thunderbird painting.

That's a nice one.Care to sow off that yellow one you posted some time back.

If I remember correctly it was from the Trans Pecos??????

I love the nodule. I have a porch full of them. I have a few that I have tried to shape them on my grinder, but it doesnt seem to work very well. I believe the "Mudstone" theory that Tracer has is close. Cant polish mud can ya??

I have some that have "dog teeth" little crystals that look a lot like small teeth all over them.

What do you use for polish?

They polish up quite nicely. Here's some pics of my freeforms and spheres. :)

post-1761-1249847293_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847328_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847358_thumb.jpg

post-1761-1249847397_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847444_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847602_thumb.jpg

post-1761-1249847544_thumb.jpg

Yes they are! I'll grab you one if you would like????

Thanks, Barry, but I'd like to go with you & find my own if you don't mind. I'm itching to get out of the house. I need to show you some locations that we need to approach the land owners about doing some hunting there. Never hurts to ask. Sometimes they even say yes. :D

Thanks, Barry, but I'd like to go with you & find my own if you don't mind. I'm itching to get out of the house. I need to show you some locations that we need to approach the land owners about doing some hunting there. Never hurts to ask. Sometimes they even say yes. :D

Sounds great! I understand about finding your own.At least I can carry it out for ya :)

I'll wear my camoflage overalls and put those wacky teeth in my mouth when we talk to the landowners :P

Oh, and drape an 8ft Boa constrictor over my shoulders.That should do it :D

Sounds great! I understand about finding your own.At least I can carry it out for ya :)

I'll wear my camoflage overalls and put those wacky teeth in my mouth when we talk to the landowners :P

Oh, and drape an 8ft Boa constrictor over my shoulders.That should do it :D

Well, if that doesn't work, I can always sling my AK102 over my shoulder. :P

post-15-1249849659_thumb.jpg

i was being a tad flippant when i said "mudstone", in that i at times like using generic terms to irritate those more scholarly than i. (shouldn't have admitted that, should i? i also seem to try to fit in by lapsing into twangy speech when around those more "country" than i. i'm kinda a karma chameleon, i guess. whatever) where was i? OH, nodularities. um, i have a theory supported by smidgens here and there of reading different stuff that septaria formation is kinda helped by volcanoes and sea critters. the reason i say this is that i think really the main components of the outside are "limestone" + "bentonite", which is a type of volcanically-derived clay with unique properties that cause it to be used for a bunch of things, one of which is "driller's mud", so there. and then all that dissolved CaCO3 that grows crystals inside once the lime/mud cracks pretty much has to be from sea critters poopin' out those shells, huh? (i haven't read up on sea critters' shell-production means, so i just throwed "poopin' out" in there, but i didn't mean literally poopin', i just meant...well, you know what i meant. i'm speaking parenthetically a lot today, huh?)

so anyway - seems like the septaria that get polished mostly come from utah or madagascar (go figure), and i surmise (which i guess would be a surmisation) that it's because those places have the hardest rocks so they polish better. 'course it could just be some weird trade deal cooked up by the democrats or somepin. [look ya'll - i don't like gettin' off on political tangents at all but ya'll have been doin' it here too much lately and i don't want to feel left out, but feel free to substitute any other group you want for the d-word if you choose because i'm not into group identity anyway, as you probably can well imagine if you went around trying to find a group of tracers to hang with. they're just not out there.)

but anyway - like i said before, tj has found and busted a plethora (heheh) of septaria, and he's busted 'em from post oak creek (yeah, i been there, hasn't everyone?) and also from other places, to include the north sluffer reebar, and let me tell you, the ones from the north sluffer are about three times as hard as the ones from poc. and the most gorgeousitinessitudinous ones he found were i think somewheres around west of dallas. (we wuz running around so much there a coupla years back that i lost track of what town we was in part of the time.)

ok, this here post oughta pretty much be done by twenny minutes ago now. cracks me up how ya'll actually read this stuff.

They polish up quite nicely. Here's some pics of my freeforms and spheres. :)

WOW, do you polish those??

If I send you one, you wanna polish it for me???? :rolleyes:

I love those speres. As much as I tried to get a round ball, I couldnt get that much material off of it.

WOW, do you polish those??

If I send you one, you wanna polish it for me???? :rolleyes:

I love those spheres. As much as I tried to get a round ball, I couldn't get that much material off of it.

No, unfortunately it's done by those highly paid people in Madagascar. :P I just send them my hard earned money and they send me their balls. :D

Well, if that doesn't work, I can always sling my AK102 over my shoulder. :P

That's a nice piece of hardware ya got there! If the landowners get a little hostile we can calm them down a little.

Or alot :rolleyes:

That's a nice piece of hardware ya got there! If the landowners get a little hostile we can calm them down a little.

Or alot :rolleyes:

Be carefull, solius might want to know if you've got a permit for that beauty! :D

Be carefull, solius might want to know if you've got a permit for that beauty! :D

Permit? Permit!?! Don't need no stinkin' permit! :rolleyes: This is Texas! Land of the free & well armed! :D The Second Amendment is alive & well in Texas! B)

hey, um, ya'll, there's this word called "transition". that's where you throw a sentence or three into going from one thought to another so as not to create mental whiplash in your beloved readership.

so now, the one time when i'm stayin' on-topic, and the topic is darn near related to something related to fossils, everybody else is jumpin' around like they's dancin' on hot coals, and it's gone from purty rocks to AKs to snakes to permits to hostile landowners to the second amendment. it's a wonder there aren't some jokes and references to global domination and conspiracy in this thread.

now don't get me wrong. i'm not sayin' that people need to talk about fossils oncest in awhile on a fossil forum. i'm just sayin' if'n the thoughts would have a transition sentence in 'em, i wouldn't be mentally floppin' on the floor right about now. i'm just glad this didn't happen in the middle of the week when my brain's fried-er.

now i guess it's time to go oil the flowerbeds again. some of us don't count too much on amendments and pea shooters, if'n you know what i mean.

(p.s. - that last part was a joke. i would never oil my flowerbeds. and mike, it looks like you're missin' a selector settin' on that pea shooter you got. stutterin' is where it's at with bullet launchers for serious social situations.)

hey, um, ya'll, there's this word called "transition". that's where you throw a sentence or three into going from one thought to another so as not to create mental whiplash in your beloved readership.

so now, the one time when i'm stayin' on-topic, and the topic is darn near related to something related to fossils, everybody else is jumpin' around like they's dancin' on hot coals, and it's gone from purty rocks to AKs to snakes to permits to hostile landowners to the second amendment. it's a wonder there aren't some jokes and references to global domination and conspiracy in this thread.

now don't get me wrong. i'm not sayin' that people need to talk about fossils oncest in awhile on a fossil forum. i'm just sayin' if'n the thoughts would have a transition sentence in 'em, i wouldn't be mentally floppin' on the floor right about now. i'm just glad this didn't happen in the middle of the week when my brain's fried-er.

now i guess it's time to go oil the flowerbeds again. some of us don't count too much on amendments and pea shooters, if'n you know what i mean.

(p.s. - that last part was a joke. i would never oil my flowerbeds. and mike, it looks like you're missin' a selector settin' on that pea shooter you got. stutterin' is where it's at with bullet launchers for serious social situations.)

Actually, it's missing two. Three shot burst & full auto. Thanks for noticing. It's post 1987 & Big Brother took those options away from us. I take it fossil hunting to keep the gnats away, so it is germaine to the post. :rolleyes:

Hey fig I love those spheres. Nice work. Sure are some freaky looking rocks in Texas.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Actually, it's missing two. Three shot burst & full auto. Thanks for noticing. It's post 1987 & Big Brother took those options away from us. I take it fossil hunting to keep the gnats away, so it is germaine to the post. :rolleyes:

I can still do those with my Ak--it's called bump firing! :D Good for mowing down those pesky hogs ;)

They polish up quite nicely. Here's some pics of my freeforms and spheres. :)post-1761-1249847293_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847328_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847358_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847397_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847444_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847602_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1249847544_thumb.jpg
I used a belt sander with 400 grit to polosh that one.