Sept Nodule From Poc After We Cut It And Somewhat Polished It.

danielp

I used a belt sander with 400 grit to polosh that one.
The finer you go with that sandpaper the more you'll bring up that shine. :)

Well, if that doesn't work, I can always sling my AK102 over my shoulder. :P

Man Mike, cool fossils, and guns!!

I'll have to bring over my AR-15 with my fossils, and we can compare both! ;)

I can still do those with my Ak--it's called bump firing! :D Good for mowing down those pesky hogs ;)

I remember an add on that you could simply bolt/screw on to a Ruger 10/22's trigger housing that was called a Tri-Burst.

I think it's kinda similar to the bump method.I sold my only rifle that could be considered/modified to be an assault rifle.It was the Ruger Mini 30,I'm still trying to buy it back from the friend that I sold it to ;) However the 7.62 x39 that it was chambered in is pretty diminutive compared to the .223 variants.

Guest solius symbiosus
Be carefull, solius might want to know if you've got a permit for that beauty! :D

Permits aren't required for long arms anywhere in the US, that I am aware of. And, I am a firm defender of the Constitution of this great nation.

Too, some might consider your post an ad hominem insult.

EDIT: delete

Since I'm responsible for getting us off topic, I feel I should be the one to get us back on. The attached came out of the afore mentioned blue shell pit where the geodes are also found. This ammonite has been out of the ground for over 30 yrs & still has some blue shell (has not been cleaned) & the mother-of-pearl on it. It even retains some of the iridescent shine. These ammonites & the purple crystal geodes are the reasons I'd like to get to search the "dump heaps" again. The area the pit is located in is called Acardia Park.

post-15-1249917153_thumb.jpg

post-15-1249917181_thumb.jpg

post-15-1249917217_thumb.jpg

post-15-1249917236_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

That's nice Mike.It's nice to see some of the original shell material left on that piece.We need to get into that pit!!

Arcadia Park,isn't that Eagle Ford??

Hey Mike, I have found pieces like that ina creek that is Britton Shale. Have even found a silver dollar sized pyrite ammonite in there. The nodules in there are awesome too. There are some pyrite nodules that look like a clump of mud that someone squeezed and pyrite is coming out of all the cracks.

I found a softball sized Sept there last night, and cracked it with my hammer. Looks just like a Geode.

Since I'm responsible for getting us off topic, I feel I should be the one to get us back on. The attached came out of the afore mentioned blue shell pit where the geodes are also found. This ammonite has been out of the ground for over 30 yrs & still has some blue shell (has not been cleaned) & the mother-of-pearl on it. It even retains some of the iridescent shine. These ammonites & the purple crystal geodes are the reasons I'd like to get to search the "dump heaps" again. The area the pit is located in is called Acardia Park.
Hey Mike, that's a pretty nice hunk of ammonite you've got there! :wub: Is that iridescent shine fairly rare down there? That looks a lot like the shine you see on Madagascar ammos. :)

danielP..... well done and keep polishing.....

Fig.... lol @ giraffe balls

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hey Mike, that's a pretty nice hunk of ammonite you've got there! :wub: Is that iridescent shine fairly rare down there? That looks a lot like the shine you see on Madagascar ammos. :)

It's the only place I have ever found them in this condition. They are a lot brighter pink when you first expose them. They are found near the middle on down in the shell, which is 20ft+ deep. I guess if one were to dig 20 ft or so into a shell location somewhere else one could possibly find them there. The "ridge type" ammonite are also found there.

That's nice Mike.It's nice to see some of the original shell material left on that piece.We need to get into that pit!!

Arcadia Park,isn't that Eagle Ford??

Yes.

Hey Mike, I have found pieces like that ina creek that is Britton Shale. Have even found a silver dollar sized pyrite ammonite in there. The nodules in there are awesome too. There are some pyrite nodules that look like a clump of mud that someone squeezed and pyrite is coming out of all the cracks.

I found a softball sized Sept there last night, and cracked it with my hammer. Looks just like a Geode.

Sounds familar, where is Britton Creek?

Wow very cool where do you find these? If it's ok to ask that is.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Wow very cool where do you find these? If it's ok to ask that is.

See post #8 on this thread. S/W Dallas County.

It's the only place I have ever found them in this condition. They are a lot brighter pink when you first expose them. They are found near the middle on down in the shell, which is 20ft+ deep. I guess if one were to dig 20 ft or so into a shell location somewhere else one could possibly find them there. The "ridge type" ammonite are also found there.
You might be able to preserve that colour if you treat it like an ammolite and sand it with some 600grit wet and dry and then give it a coat of some Opticon or Envirotex. :)

You might be able to preserve that colour if you treat it like an ammolite and sand it with some 600grit wet and dry and then give it a coat of some Opticon or Envirotex. :)

The coating turns to a powder, so I doubt that would work, but thanks for the info.

danielP..... well done and keep polishing.....

Fig.... lol @ giraffe balls

Thanks for the comment.