I Was Whining...

BobC

Hey guys! Had a great hunt this morning in an Austin quarry with two pals from the forum (if they want to identify themselves they can)--the quarry is large with an Edwards layer on top, but further down it gets into blue rock that is just packed with oysters, gastropods, clams, echinoids and ammonites (not sure what formation it was--there was a lively debate)! The trip was really cool for two reasons--first, my two friends each found a spiny echinoid that we had never seen before. The tubercles were huge--in fact the whole thing was huge! Here is a pic of part of one sticking out of that blue matrix--it was very exciting even though I was secretly quite bitter that I never got my greedy sausage links on one!!!

post-1290-1249855807_thumb.jpg

Now to the whining part. I was talking to one of my fossil pals, whining and bellyaching, rambling on and on, that I had found many Coenholectypus around Central Texas--but that they were always in really craptastic shape. Well no sooner did I end my tiresome diatribe, when I found a layer in this blue stuff that had perfect Coenholectypi in it! It was really strange. Here they is:

post-1290-1249856049_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1249856075_thumb.jpg

beyond cool outing! try to take a bunch of in-situ pictures if you can on trips like that. i love seeing that kind of stuff.

Hey guys! Had a great hunt this morning in an Austin quarry with two pals from the forum (if they want to identify themselves they can)--the quarry is large with an Edwards layer on top, but further down it gets into blue rock that is just packed with oysters, gastropods, clams, echinoids and ammonites (not sure what formation it was--there was a lively debate)! The trip was really cool for two reasons--first, my two friends each found a spiny echinoid that we had never seen before. The tubercles were huge--in fact the whole thing was huge! Here is a pic of part of one sticking out of that blue matrix--it was very exciting even though I was secretly quite bitter that I never got my greedy sausage links on one!!!

What a Goniopygus ??? :o

Now the sad part. As I drove onto the access road of Mopac Expressway to go home, I saw a bunch of cars stopped--then I realized why. There was a small, black stray dog running up the ramp--she was so hot and so freaked out she wouldn't come to any of us. We never did catch her. I hope she is okay. It was 100 degrees and she was clearly in distress. Man I hate seeing dogs suffer. Ruined my day.

That isn't a Goniopygous--but I have found three before in that same quarry.

Tracer--I usually take pics of the terrain but my two friends are camera shy so I skipped it.

I'm just happy to have found some different echinoids than what I'm used to. Today was definitely a success

Thanks John--but there are others more deserving of that title than I--namely my two "friends" who dared to upstage me by finding the mystery spiny urchin!!! :angry:

didn't mean the locality, just close-ups of the fossils in place...

...so i can pretend it was me finding them.

Oh I see. You what the problem is Tracer? It is so freaking unbearably hot that taking pics in the field is just miserable--unless you find the fossil in the early morning as my friend did (hence the photo). But once sweat starts rolling down my forehead, I just don't feel like taking any glamour shots

MB that little guy is a Salenia Mexicana. I found him in a clay area, not in the blue stuff. One of my friends found a Salenia too.

MB that little guy is a Salenia Mexicana. I found him in a clay area, not in the blue stuff. One of my friends found a Salenia too.

Stunning finds. Congrats!

BobC, I'm talking about the big echinoid in blue stuff, show me it when cleaned, please ;)

I don't think what my two friends found is Goniopygous (sp)--I've found those before in this quarry and they were all very small and in a totally different layer. We shall see. I would love to give you an answer, but as I already noted rather bitterly, I didn't find any of them this trip. I did, however, thoroughly crush my fossil hunting pals in the Coenholectypus department, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. I think I'll chug some Goldschlagger and dream up some more "successes."

Bob

Is that my severed finger in the first photo? I was wondering where I left that thing......thanks for the trip today, had a blast, sorry I had to bail early. Johnny Rotten was the first to clean up one of the doorknob tubercled echies, and has ID'd it as Goniopygus zitteli, thus confirming the Edwards formation. However, the ammonites Oxtytropidoceras and Mortoniceras confirm spoils of overlying Kiamichi formation (I didn't realized that Morts ranged down into the Kki until today). In my site log I'll document the place as Ked/Kki transition. I grabbed a few Heterasters and Coenholectypus as well. And for now on, your official name is BobC(oenholectypus)!!!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

So the secret to finding great echinoids like that are to whine a lot?? (*said in a nasally high pitched voice* "whyyyyyy can't IIIII find oneeee)

Oh God. It is a Goniopygous. Once again I have brought shame upon the proud name of the Fossil Forum. Don't go listening to every bit of nonsense that comes outta my mouth-- I frankly have no idea what I'm doing. I can be used for cheap muscle for carrying large fossils but intellectually, I am a fused ganglia.

Oh God. It is a Goniopygous. Once again I have brought shame upon the proud name of the Fossil Forum. Don't go listening to every bit of nonsense that comes outta my mouth-- I frankly have no idea what I'm doing. I can be used for cheap muscle for carrying large fossils but intellectually, I am a fused ganglia.

I am going to remember that "cheap muscle" comment in case you come to LC in the future -_-

Your sea urchins are nice ! :drool: Congrats !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

BobC, I'm talking about the big echinoid in blue stuff, show me it when cleaned, please ;)

Thanks to Bob "Coen" for allowing us to collaborate on this trip. I was able to coax a couple of Goniopygus zitteli from a single boulder. That's a species new to my collection and my best finds for the location. All of us found something we didn't have, so it was a lot of fun. No whining here!

double in boulder

post-420-1249939173_thumb.jpg

post-420-1249939201_thumb.jpg

post-420-1249939233_thumb.jpg

post-420-1249939337_thumb.jpg

post-420-1249939359_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Holy snarge!!! that guy is BEAUTIFUL!! Great job cleaning him up!! I'm sure it wasn't easy--although I will say cleaning the my echinoids was easier than I expected it to be. I figured prying these guys out of rock would be much harder.

john, you've gotten so good at the photography that it's really a pleasure to see your coolnesses in detail.