I Was Whining...

BobC

Thanks to Bob "Coen" for allowing us to collaborate on this trip. I was able to coax a couple of Goniopygus zitteli from a single boulder. That's a species new to my collection and my best finds for the location. All of us found something we didn't have, so it was a lot of fun. No whining here!

double in boulder

post-420-1249939173_thumb.jpg

post-420-1249939201_thumb.jpg

post-420-1249939233_thumb.jpg

post-420-1249939337_thumb.jpg

post-420-1249939359_thumb.jpg

mmmmmm... I love Goniopygus :wub:

Congrats Bob - looks like another great day to bake in the sun! And find cool stuff. B)

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Thanks Owen--I really learned a lot going out with John and Dan. By the way, not sure if I told you all this, but back in May I found a bone jutting out of a collapsed bank of Shoal Creek--and was told by someone more experienced than I that if the bone was not super heavy, it was probably recent. Turns out that is not necessarily so. Well I just went back to this site last night to see if the bone was still there, and someone has carved out a gigantic circular hole in the bank where the bone was--the pit is probably at least thirty feet across--and whoever did it actually chopped down the trees around it. I couldn't believe it. I still have a chunk of that bone but obviously someone found this site very interesting.

Bob

Is that my severed finger in the first photo? I was wondering where I left that thing......thanks for the trip today, had a blast, sorry I had to bail early. Johnny Rotten was the first to clean up one of the doorknob tubercled echies, and has ID'd it as Goniopygus zitteli, thus confirming the Edwards formation. However, the ammonites Oxtytropidoceras and Mortoniceras confirm spoils of overlying Kiamichi formation (I didn't realized that Morts ranged down into the Kki until today). In my site log I'll document the place as Ked/Kki transition. I grabbed a few Heterasters and Coenholectypus as well. And for now on, your official name is BobC(oenholectypus)!!!

I'm confused (happens all too often) what "Austin" area quarry has Kiamichi exposed? Don't think it makes itself known this far south (Austin) You sure it was from above the Edwards? Maybe Comanche Peak or Keys Valley if it was from below the Edwards?

Either way some excellent fossils!

I don't wanna say where it is. sorry.

Sure I understand. I was more interested in the stratigraphy than the exact location. I know many folks have "special" relationships with quarries or private locations. Unfortunately there have been enough bone heads over the years to sour quarry and private land owners for the rest of us.

John:

I agree that the regular echinoid is Goniopygus zitteli Clark, 1891. Goniopygus zitteli Clark and Goniopygus texanus Ikins, 1940 are characteristic regular echinoids of the Middle Albian Edwards Formation of central Texas. Goniopygus zitteli Clark, 1891 has 5 tubercles located on the inner margin of the plates. In addition, the pores are located on the distal ends of the plates of Goniopygus zitteli. Goniopygus texanus has 3 to 4 tubercles on the inner margins of the apical system and the pores are located on the side of the plates. Very nice preservation on the Goniopygus specimen. Hopefully, the other specimens will prep out well from the matrix.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks, Mike. It's great to see confirmation from one of the best echinoid researchers on the Forum. Interestingly, there was an associated echinoid spine laying across the top of the apical system of the prepped one. The larger one (by my thumb) was crushed laterally, but most all of it is there.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yup--John showed me the spine after he found that little guy! This is so cool! MikeD tried to show me spines last Spring but I couldn't be bothered to be interested!! I feel like a whole new world has opened up for me!! I have been having a great time finding common fossil urchins--since I've only been doing this for a year or so, but after hunting with John and Dan I know there are even rarer echinoids to find!!