FL Shark Tooth ID

Grimlock

Hello Everyone. I would like to get some opinions on this tooth that I found at the Peace a few years back. Thanks

20180409_124517.jpg

20180409_124531.jpg

Well it has one cusp showing, so not a hemi. Was thinking maybe a worn posterior chub, or something in the lineage. 

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Well it has one cusp showing, so not a hemi. Was thinking maybe a worn posterior chub, or something in the lineage. 

I see that now. And also I missed seeing the bourlette (pic a little dark :)), which upon further inspection I think I see.

I second Darktooth with a small chub. The presence of a bourlette and at least a vestigial cusp, gives that away. Plus, I think that the serrations might be a little too small for a hemi.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I assume that "chub" refers to Carcharocles chubutensis.  "Chub" just confuses newbies.  Beyond that, I don't think any C. chubutensis have been found in Florida.  Carcharocles is probably best thought of as a chronospecies, and the Peace River sediments are too young to contain anything other than C. megalodon.  This is a very small tooth, but probably in the range for a newborn (young megalodons often have atavistic lateral cusps).

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest