Poc Monster Tooth

makoken

Went to poc today and ran into a geologist from the Dallas area. Anyway long story short he(Bobby) found a monster shark tooth. It looks like something from Morroco, Otodus or Cretolamna . Any help in i.d.?? Sorry for the lack of scale. the sunglasses were all we could come up with. I'll post my finds a bit later not near as exciting.

Coming from the Eagle Ford Group in the Texas Cretaceous would likely limit the tooth to either Cretodus crassidens or Cretodus semiplicatus. Without scale it's somewhat difficult to give a more definite assignment. C. crassidens can exceed 2" in length while C. semiplicatus may reach an approximate 1.5" maximum size. Cretolamna woodwardi teeth are much smaller as repored by Bruce Welton. In fact the validity of this taxon has been questioned. Without checking my literature sources I seem to recall C. woodwardi was reassigned by Siverson to the genus Cardabiodon. (Remember I am only "guessing" on this reassignment issue w/o first checking my literature sources)

Hope this helps and I can make the necessary literature check if anyone is interested. I seem to recall two papers which address the issue of C. woodwardi.

Great tooth, had no idea there were such amazing teeth in TX!

Post Oak creek is in Sherman Texas which is about an hour North of the Dallas area. The area is Cretaceous in age and the formation that outcrops there is the Eagle Ford Shale.There is a mix of shark teeth in the gravel bars that are collected by sifting or crawling the gravel bars.One can also find Paleolithic material and more recent vertabrate finds.

We should call it Glass Creek as there is plenty to go around :D

Thanks for the info, I was quite confused as well!

Guest fossiliferous forrest
Went to poc today and ran into a geologist from the Dallas area. Anyway long story short he(Bobby) found a monster shark tooth. It looks like something from Morroco, Otodus or Cretolamna . Any help in i.d.?? Sorry for the lack of scale. the sunglasses were all we could come up with. I'll post my finds a bit later not near as exciting.

Hey Mako, I'm still buzzing from the find! I've been carrying it around with me all day. Are you still in the area? If so, I'm going to be up there tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to meeting up with you guys. fossiliferous-

Hey Mako, I'm still buzzing from the find! I've been carrying it around with me all day. Are you still in the area? If so, I'm going to be up there tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to meeting up with you guys. fossiliferous-

Hey Bobby,Ken here! Just got back from POC with Barry and am on his computer! Still crying about that tooth!!!!!!!Didn't see you at the bridge today! Cruised by our spot at 4pm and didn't see your truck.Hope you found some great stuff and welcome to the forum!

post-417-1250222253_thumb.jpg

looks moe like a Cretolamna to me from what I can find

Looks like Cretodus possibly. Awesome find!! Could be C. crassidens.

I think you are totally right! I think C. crassidens is the only possibility.

http://www.elasmo.com/ Paleo-fauna: Smoky Hill Chalk

Upr Cretaceous Sharks & Rays of Kansas

The Great Interior Sea

Regards,

Martijn

Qua patet orbis