Just how bad is Hayward Fault’s (California) nightmare scenario?

Oxytropidoceras

Earthquake warning: Just how bad is Hayward Fault’s 

nightmare scenario? East Bay Times

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/04/18/hayward-faults-nightmare-scenario/

San Francisco Earthquake Risks: Questions and Answers

New York Times, April 19, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/us/san-francisco-earthquake-risks.html

Quake On Bay Area Fault Could Kill Hundreds, USGS 

Simulation Shows. Here and Now, NPR, April 19, 2018

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/04/19/quake-hayward-fault-bay-area

The HayWired Earthquake Scenario

U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2017–5013

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2018/3016/fs20183016.pdf

Yours,

Paul H

• I found this Informative 2

I hate to say this...but I'm glad that I don't live in California any more!  I lived in Northridge (Los Angeles area) for about a year back in the mid-1980s so I managed to miss the big Northridge earthquake in 1994.  I had more than my fill of earthquakes when I lived in Turkey for a few years.  At least here in the Dallas area, we only need to worry about flooding and tornadoes!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Dallas area hazards: Joe forgot to mention giant hail, straight line thunderstorm winds and wildfires (rural areas such as Possum Kindom Lake.) Earthquakes might be a problem if your home is in bad shape to start out with.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Ahhh...giant hail, straight-line thunderstorm winds and wildfires don't skeer me none!  Now them tornado thangs do cause me a bit of worry occasionally! (And no...I do NOT really talk like that!)

cowboy-hat-face.png

-Joe

Fruitbat's PDF Library

The most dangerous thing about Texas are the drivers. Apparently cars there do not have turn signals and they often end up one carlength ahead of you on the freeway. A local finally admitted that they do not use turn signals because they are afraid that if they use them, the other driver will speed up and not let them in.

Traffic, weather and natural disasters aside, the fossil hunting and the people are fantastic.(Just read the posts from Texas here on TFF.)

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Texas is great,  great people and fossils

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

While Texas can have a lot of scary weather (and drivers), the kinds of earthquakes that occur in California are a whole lot scarier. You build shelters for tornados, hail, and wind. There is no shelter for a 8.0.  

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe them thar quakes might expose some nice thangs fur usins to be digging up. :fingerscrossed:

Quakes =Mother Nature's earth mover.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

I do believe that I'll forego the earthquakes and let moving water do the work for me.

-Joe

Some of us don't get exposures in river beds like you "easterners" do and thusly must mull around in hillsides.

Anything short of being allowed to take a bulldozer up with me turns into a major excavation w/ hand tools.

It doesnt rain enough here to do much erosion. I'd welcome some large scale earth movement anyway I can get it. :ighappy:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

EASTERNERS???????  Well hush my mouth and call me mumbles!  Them's fightin' words, ya fur-bearing varmint!

51CSjgxBS7L._SY355_.jpg

Next thing you know, you'll be calling us YANKEES!

-Joe

Fruitbat's PDF Library

2 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

EASTERNERS???????  Well hush my mouth and call me mumbles!  Them's fightin' words, ya fur-bearing varmint!

51CSjgxBS7L._SY355_.jpg

-Joe

It is extremely ironic that @Fruitbat's alter ego is named after a very famous California site: Yosemite. 

When I lived in the Dallas area I was well aware of the fact that I was living in the eastern half of the contiguous US. I also have always lived south of the Mason-Dixon Line (as long as it is extended to the Pacific Ocean.) I guess that I am a life-long southerner. I always found it odd when some consider all of Texas as part of the US Southwest.

We still love ya regardless of what part of the US Texas is in. I am glad that I got to live in Texas. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States

Heck, when you live this close to the western portion of the U.S., pert much everybody in the direction of the sunrise is an easterner.

I'll try to tame my name calling in the future Joe. Would you rather I call you a Midlander? :blink:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Let's move on. I want to know what @caldigger is. Is he a Northern Californian, Central Californian or a Southern Californian? Exactly where are the boundries? What state will you be in if the resent proposal to break up California into several states happens.

Another question. Why is it you have to go through West Texas when traveling south from Dallas to go to the wonderful fossil collecting areas in Waco? Dallas and Waco are both in the eastern half of Texas. BTW, West Texas has yummy Czech pastries, kolaches.

As I am currently understanding our boundaries, southern Ca. is south of Santa Barbara. Northern is anything north of Monterey so whatever is in between is Central.

I am literally living in the exact middle (same mileage to either) between San Francisco and Los Angeles. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

12 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Yeah...yeah...let's get technical about it!  OK...we're west of the Mississippi and west of the prime meridian anyway! :D

-Joe

But east of the rocky mountains (continental divide), the great basin and the sierra nevada mountains. Sounds like an easterner to Me.:D

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

As I am currently understanding our boundaries,.... Northern is anything north of Monterey so whatever is in between is Central.

You can keep San Francisco in the central part too. We do not want it in northern california.:rofl:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

16 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

-Joe

Hey! I resemble that Statement!

I mean, ... resent! :P 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Oh NO you don't!  You're not getting rid of San Francisco THAT easily!  Give it to the folks in Rhode Island!  They could use a little more room anyway!  Better yet...give it back to MEXICO!  Maybe THEY can figure out what to do with it!

-Joe

Fruitbat's PDF Library

This thread has been hijacked and is headed for Cuba. :ighappy: My apologies to the OP, Paul H. and Cuba. Although, we are still talking about breaking up California: political vs geological.

Here is an interesting article about several recent proposals (out of 200-300) to break up California. 

I cannot remember ever hearing plans to break up Texas since Texas reserved that right when it entered the US as its own country. Then again maybe there were plans but no one cared to listen to them.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2018/04/13/45392/six-californias-from-jefferson-to-colorado-the-cal/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_divisionism

• 3 years later...
  • New Members

The Hayward fault is no joke. Grew up right on the Oakland / Berkeley border. This is a constantly moving fault that is building up pressure. Averages a catastrophic quake every 150 yrs. It has been about 145 yrs since the last one. But the one before that was only 120 yrs before. Heck it even has its own dormant volcano. It last erupted 10,000 yrs ago. Remember the Bay Area is not an old place. The stone age just ended here less that 200 yrs ago. Yes this quake will be big than all the rest. I just hope I'm aroun d long enough to see it.

IMG_20210903_004508183.jpg

10 minutes ago, Tim Delaney said:

Heck it even has its own dormant volcano. It last erupted 10,000 yrs ago.

There are no dormant or such young volcanos near Berkeley or Oakland.

The Clear Lake field north of the Bay Area is still active and last erupted about 11k years ago. It is the closest active volcano.

https://www.usgs.gov/observatories/california-volcano-observatory/california-has-active-and-hazardous-volcanoes

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Tim Delaney said:

Robert Sibley volcanic Preserve

Have you seen the amygdaloidal agates including the Berkeley Blue Agate that are scattered in the volcanic in the Berkeley Hills in the general  vicinity of the Miocene Volcano?

If you like geology, check out the Northern California Geological Society that meets in Orinda:  http://www.ncgeolsoc.org Also check out Andrew Alden’s great blog on the area geology:

https://oaklandgeology.com