Graduating from hands and eyes!

MeargleSchmeargl

Well, fellow Fossilers, today is a very important day in my career!

Today marks the day I got my first geological hammer and chisel (courtesy of dad)! :yay-smiley-1:

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.890aba56ec1ba49fda6095329c15b64b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Congratulations, Careful though, unless the hammer head is really large, you might want to get some chisels with larger heads/ guards because when you hit your fingers instead it will really hurt. I have painfully found this out several times. Wearing thick gloves might help a bit.

I heard that Estwing makes good chisels. A nice chisel is cheaper than a trip to the doctor's office.

http://www.geo-tools.com/fossil-rock-chisels

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Congratulations on your first set of tools! This will up your game a bit.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Yay!
Is the hammer pick-ended or chisel-ended?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 minute ago, Auspex said:

Yay!
Is the hammer pick-ended or chisel-ended?

Pick ended.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Congratulations, Careful though, unless the hammer head is really large, you might want to get some chisels with larger heads/ guards because when you hit your fingers instead it will really hurt. I have painfully found this out several times. Wearing thick gloves might help a bit.

I heard that Estwing makes good chisels. A nice chisel is cheaper than a trip to the doctor's office.

http://www.geo-tools.com/fossil-rock-chisels

Yeah, I've had my fair share of what I'd like to call "Hammer thumb". Not a pleasant experience! :wacko:

That was my choice, back when, for massive shales and mudstones. I employed a pry-bar on laminated deposits.
Please use eye protection!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That’s a good start!  You will undoubtedly want to add other tools as you go, but wait until you have gone a few times to get a better idea of what you need.  And like everyone says, don’t do anything with those tools without eye protection.  Good hunting!

7 minutes ago, Auspex said:

That was my choice, back when, for massive shales and mudstones. I employed a pry-bar on laminated deposits.
Please use eye protection!

4 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

That’s a good start!  You will undoubtedly want to add other tools as you go, but wait until you have gone a few times to get a better idea of what you need.  And like everyone says, don’t do anything with those tools without eye protection.  Good hunting!

Got plenty of eye protection! Ask my dad, as we frequent the gun range, which also needs that. :D

I agree with the others...get yourself a nice pair of tough gloves... 12 bucks or so, and use at least the chisel hand glove.  

• 1 year later...