Chamelea Gallina Help

Liliana

Hello,

New to this. I found this while shelling/treasure hunting at the Sebastian Inlet Bonsteel Park in Florida. we recently moved to the area and I will most definitely be spending most of my time doing this.  I am fascinated by this find and would like to learn more about it. I found it about knee high in the ocean. I believe it to be a Chamelea Gallina shell. That's all I could find after hours of research. How I came across this site. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

IMG_20180427_150020625.jpg.d6d584d4bf25f6424692e77d5623bcdc.jpg

IMG_20180427_145840085.jpg

IMG_20180427_145930214.jpg

IMG_20180427_145854625.jpg

IMG_20180427_145906840.jpg

IMG_20180427_145843693.jpg

IMG_20180427_145810171.jpg

IMG_20180427_145954868.jpg

A very nice displayable piece. Beautiful!

I can't help with the ID, but I'll clear a space off my shelf if you decide to dispose of it. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Maybe one of the shell guys will weigh in. 

@MikeR  @Al Dente  @MarcoSr

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Interesting.  I don't have the slightest idea of where or what formation it might be from.  Nor age.  I have collected Upper Pleistocene Fort Thompson in that area inland and Lower Pleistocene Nashua is not too far away but there should not be any deposits directly on the shore so it might be derived from rip rap?

Chamelea gallina is recent European Veneridae.  Yours is closer to Clementia also Veneridae.  LINK

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

If it doesn't fit the area geologically, could possibly be from a ships ballast.  Nice fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

14 hours ago, Innocentx said:

If it doesn't fit the area geologically, could possibly be from a ships ballast.  Nice fossil.

Yep.  I once worked at the Gulf Breeze Environmental Research Lab which is located on an island inside of Pensacola Bay which was formed by ballast dump from English ships in the early 1800s.  Occasional construction would reveal clay pipes, buttons, etc.  but I found a couple of chunks of chert with Cretaceous English Echinoids. 

• I found this Informative 3

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Welcome to TFF!

That's a cool specimen! :wub: 

Unfortunately, ID is gonna be insanely hard for this one I'm afraid! First of all because it is very likely a "stray" rock, and therefore the age is completely unknown. Could be from any time, from the Pleistocene to the Cretaceous, Jurassic, or even earlier. It can also come from any place, so that means it's possible it comes from Europe or another continent. Also, the hinge area isn't visible, and the dentition can't be seen, so the shell could be of any group within the bivalves. Because of this, the furthest you could get without making wild guesses is  Bivalvia indet.  

Best regards, and happy hunting!

Max

@MikeR which Clementia species are you thinking of? I'm not seeing anything really similar... 

Firstly, because I don't think any Clementia species have such a flattened side like this one:

IMG_20180427_145854625.jpg.ef1820774e2b28fe183ef252b7de2763.jpg.744f30c6fe4fe19b7b0b0ef88deed53c.jpg

Secondly, because I don't see any Clementia species with (the other side) as round as this one. The Clementia species that I see all have a much straighter edge, as shown here by the red line:

IMG_20180427_145810171.jpg.791942ce657aeb60fbcf6befdf78449c_LI.jpg.7e27ed976a22a0f86a938a5cefe19202.jpg

Then again I am just using Google Images as a reference for the Clementia images, so it is very likely that other lesser-known Clementia species are much more similar to this one here. In that case I would much appreciate it if you point them out to me :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Could it be Mercenaria sp. ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Looks like a good match to me but I have no knowledge other than appearances.

15 hours ago, abyssunder said:

It's one of the many possibilities. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

I would like to thank you all so very much for your help!!!  I am so impressed by all of your responses. Soaking all the info and learning from you all. I was so thrilled when I found this fossil after hours of searching and fighting the rough waves. This place is full of shells, coral and more. My ankles were taking a beating!! Thank you again for your help and I am looking forward to sharing something cool again soon!!

Liliana :)

20 minutes ago, Liliana said:

I am looking forward to sharing something cool again soon!!

We are looking forward to this too!

And by the way, Florida is one of the richest regions in the world when it comes to fossils. If you haven't yet heard of it, the Peace River is a fantastic place to hunt.

So are many other creeks. Plus, many parking lots/roadsides/construction sites have sediments full of amazing fossil seashells with beautiful preservation. 

One thing is sure: living in Florida will definitely help to expand your fossil collection and knowledge exponentially! :D 

You can ask our many (local) experts here on TFF for any tips on where to hunt, and probably someone will also be willing to serve as a guide for you. ;) 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

Thank you so much Max!!!! :) I am so looking forward to it!!! Best to you as well and chat soon!! :) Liliana

On 4/29/2018 at 11:35 AM, Jazfossilator said:

Really cool find! And welcome to the forum:D

Thank you!!! :)

Nice find, Liliana, and thanks for posting it here. 

A very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Liliana said:

Thank you so much Max!!!! :) I am so looking forward to it!!! Best to you as well and chat soon!! :) Liliana

Thanks, and you're welcome ;) 

Good luck during your hunts!

Max Derème

On 5/1/2018 at 11:45 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice find, Liliana, and thanks for posting it here. 

A very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Thank you Tidgy's Dad!! :) :)