Beginner engraver.

LiamL

I'm planning on splitting the very hard yorkshire nodules on the beach and then tidying them up with an engraver at home.

I'm looking at the DREMEL 290 for my first tool or would you recommend another?

Also if you could recommend some additional tip sizes that i should buy. It would be very helpful.

Thank you

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Hi Liam

Just using an engraver will take you quite some time to prep the Yorkshire stuff, which beaches are the fossil from?

I have a dremel multi tool that I use for grinding and smoothing the matrix down after penning them out.

Gary

• I found this Informative 1

Where are you Ichthyosaur.  

9 hours ago, longbow.1 said:

Hi Liam

Just using an engraver will take you quite some time to prep the Yorkshire stuff, which beaches are the fossil from?

I have a dremel multi tool that I use for grinding and smoothing the matrix down after penning them out.

Gary

I'm spending a week fossil collecting in 8 days. I'm planning on visiting Saltwick bay, Runswick Bay, Port Mulgrave and sandsend.

3 minutes ago, LiamL said:

I'm spending a week fossil collecting in 8 days. I'm planning on visiting Saltwick bay, Runswick Bay, Port Mulgrave and sandsend.

I love Runswick Bay. Make sure you know the tide times. Looking forward to seeing your finds.:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

Runswick and Kettleness are my favorite hunting places, but Mulgrave is a close second.

Attacehd are one or two finds from the area, think one of the elegan's is from Sandsend.

Have to see the photos of your finds when prepped.

Gary 

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

tenu 1.JPG

latest 2.JPG

Where are you Ichthyosaur.  

20 hours ago, longbow.1 said:

Runswick and Kettleness are my favorite hunting places, but Mulgrave is a close second.

Attacehd are one or two finds from the area, think one of the elegan's is from Sandsend.

Have to see the photos of your finds when prepped.

Gary 

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

tenu 1.JPG

latest 2.JPG

I’m surprised mulgrave isnt your top, given the amount of finds. I’m really hoping I can find some kind of reptile remains and an uncommon/large ammonite on my visit. I’m guessing over the weekend the beaches will be pretty well picked given the kids are off school.

Hey @LiamL, i used an engraver many  years ago.  Once I recieved my ME9100 there was no going back.  The engraver I used just slowly pulverized the rock where the 9100 removed rock much much faster and I learned to use the side of the stylus to 'smooth out the rock.  The problem is,,,  air scribes can get very expensive and they also need a compressor.  Good luck

RB

DSCN0152.JPG

DSCN0153.JPG