Cepholopods and Concretions of the Britton Fromation trip 3

KimTexan

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

Here is a pic of maybe a 1.5 square inch area and all the cepholopods in it. They still need to be prepped to better ID. You can’t fully see them from this angle, but you can see part of them. The numbers are just above each one. I’ll try to give genus of each layer. None of those numbered are baculites. A few species are heteromorphs.

DF8EFAD1-A4B7-459D-AA3D-6DE1A11876D5.thumb.jpeg.0bd3bd8ca0ff5a234cfc6dc9b74c0dd9.jpeg

A nice good sized heteromorph on the other side of the plate.

6041ADB5-999D-4FD7-9DE4-E4EB44C77833.thumb.jpeg.8699a9f0427ea26a4f33db8688e73ca2.jpeg

Nice cephalopod plate! The last heteromorph looks like Allocrioceras annulatum to me.

Allocrioceras annulatum specimens can be seen on page 89 here: FOSSIL COLLECTING REPORT July 2010 and on pages 97, 99, 105, 106, and 117 here: Late Cenomainian and Turonian Ammonite Faunas from North-East and Central Texas

• I found this Informative 1

49 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Under Kane's profile, he lists his website that may answer some of your questions: https://kanexfaucher.weebly.com/

The real mystery is what does the X in his name stand for: Xiphactinus (a Texas Cretaceous fossil fish)? Could he be saintly?  Maybe the X Man will tell.

Many other TFF members also list in their member profiles, their websites or include other biographical info.

I have not had time to go checking out anyone’s profile or reading their Bios on TFF. I may visit their profile to find something I remember them posting for reference, but I don’t have that much time to spend on TFF. I wish I had more time to do so. I’m often out hunting in my spare time, prepping or trying to practice IDing some of my stuff.

There is also the upkeep on my lawn and house. Now that summer has come I seem to spend quite a bit of time doing yard work, mowing the lawn,weeding the lawn and flowerbeds and trying to keep them up along with pruning and trimming hedges.

Then there is time with friends and family too. Live is way to busy for my taste.

1 hour ago, Heteromorph said:

Nice cephalopod plate! The last heteromorph looks like Allocrioceras annulatum to me.

Allocrioceras annulatum specimens can be seen on page 89 here: FOSSIL COLLECTING REPORT July 2010 and on pages 97, 99, 105, 106, and 117 here: Late Cenomainian and Turonian Ammonite Faunas from North-East and Central Texas

Matthew,

I agree on the ID. I couldn’t remember how to spell it. I am at work and was on break when I posted it. I don’t have my notes with me.

#3 is an Allocrioceras of a different species. I currently looks like it loops back on itself. There are at least 4 Allocrioceras on this plate.

I have that paper. I haven’t gotten to read all of it yet, but I did use it to help me with some of the IDs.

18 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Kim, check out the Dallas Paleontological Society Occasioal Papers Volume 9, 2012 for an interesting article by McKinzie about the fossils of the Britton Formation. The clam is Inoceramus pictus. The gastropods I cannot ID. 

Your posts are always interesting and your honesty is refreshing even when you go on a tangent of a tangent. Where else can we have a civil conversation about whether a man or a woman shall pay for a meal. I am more interested in finding out what fossils you found on the trip. Thanks for your great play by play coverage of your fossil trips.

Thanks for the tip. I have volumes 4, 7, 8 and 10, but not 9. I will have to see if they have it for sale at the DPS meeting. I got the 4 volumes for $30 at the Christmas auction. I have used the NSR one quite a bit. It  has definitely been worth the $30.

The DPS book on the fossils of the North Sulphur River has a sheet of errata (corrections) that goes with it. I cannot find mine to give. Make sure that you get one.

Also, I noticed another mistake: photos of Anomia argentaria on plate 5 are another unidentified clam. Check out my post for photos of the Anomia with the original pearly shells: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/58968-texas-north-sulphur-river-lagerstätte/&tab=comments#comment-627851

Also, I heard rumors that a new NSR book was in the works: have you any info?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

31 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The DPS book on the fossils of the North Sulphur River has a sheet of errata (corrections) that goes with it. I cannot find mine to give. Make sure that you get one.

Also, I noticed another mistake: photos of Anomia argentaria on plate 5 are another unidentified clam. Check out my post for photos of the Anomia with the original pearly shells: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/58968-texas-north-sulphur-river-lagerstätte/&tab=comments#comment-627851

Also, I heard rumors that a new NSR book was in the works: have you any info?

I think I recall them coming out with a second edition of something. As I recall it was an update. I don’t remember of which book though.

@BobWill May know. He attends the DPS meetings and is much more “in the know” than I.

I think there is some member of the DPS who works for one of the largest auction houses in the US who does publishing too. I think DPS was going to use them for publishing. That was back in December. So if it isn’t out already it should be soon.

It may have been the book on fossil collecting and prep. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info on the errata. I’ll have to see if they have any available.

Color plate 5 the pics are so dark you can hardly see the detail. I have some of those phosphatic clams.

What they really need to do is make another NSR book. The NSR is really hot. Maybe it always has been. 

Are you on Facebook? DPS has a Group on there that is quite busy. There are numerous weekly posts of NSR finds as well as many other locals.

20 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Yea Kim, you won’t be laughing if we go through a drive-thru window at a fast food restaurant, I am going to Super Size my meal and maybe even get 2 beef patties instead of 1- you won’t be laughing when you see the bill :). And to think, I don’t even eat fast food. 

If you come to Dallas I’ll take you to the best BBQ in town. It is this little hole in the wall shack of a place, but it is the best BBQ bar none. The guy is only open for lunch M-F, but does a ton of catering.  When that man dies there will be a lot of sad people in town. No other BBQ seems to hold a candle to his. His sides are pretty tasty too. It’s Mike Anderson’s BBQ.

If you don’t like BBQ I know a couple good Tex-Mex places. One has avacado enchiladas. Man I love those things. They aren’t on the menu, but I ask for them every time and they make it for me. There are lots of places I could take you. Dallas has just about anything you could want dinning wise. Probably not good Chicago style pizza though

Kim, whenever you have time I would like to see some closer pictures of ammonite #3. Maybe we could figure out what Allocrioceras species it is. According to HGMS’ ammonite book, there are 5 Allocrioceras species in the Britton formation: A. annulatum, A. conlini, A. dentonense, A. larvatum, and A. rotundatum (the last one is kinda sketchy since the original description was incomplete). 

45 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

If you come to Dallas I’ll take you to the best BBQ in town. It is this little hole in the wall shack of a place, but it is the best BBQ bar none. The guy is only open for lunch M-F, but does a ton of catering.  When that man dies there will be a lot of sad people in town. No other BBQ seems to hold a candle to his. His sides are pretty tasty too. It’s Mike Anderson’s BBQ.

If you don’t like BBQ I know a couple good Tex-Mex places. One has avacado enchiladas. Man I love those things. They aren’t on the menu, but I ask for them every time and they make it for me. There are lots of places I could take you. Dallas has just about anything you could want dinning wise. Probably not good Chicago style pizza though

I believe it was Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction that said - That’s a tasty treat. I could have it wrong, but I would love BBQ.

40 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Kim, whenever you have time I would like to see some closer pictures of ammonite #3. Maybe we could figure out what Allocrioceras species it is. According to HGMS’ ammonite book, there are 5 Allocrioceras species in the Britton formation: A. annulatum, A. conlini, A. dentonense, A. larvatum, and A. rotundatum (the last one is kinda sketchy since the original description was incomplete). 

Yes, I have taken notes on probably 15 species found in the Britton. Although Emmerson and Akers didn’t list all the ones Kennedy did.

I still need to remove a lot more matrix. #3 has #7 draped over it, but I have 7 at least Allocrioceras

heteromorphs.

I went outside on the back patio while still in my work scrubs to process some fossils a bit.

I just came inside from working on prepping one of my Britton ammonites and trying to cut a couple urchins out of Duck Creek material with my Dremel. I got some new diamond coated blades to cut off excess matrix and they work like a charm. I got about 75% of it off.

It was getting pretty dark so I came in and was shocked at how I looked. LOL 

136E588D-AE70-41A3-A7B3-FC8C8D814C9A.thumb.jpeg.5c7bc15815884f58d67decf42e8f9056.jpeg

I had a towel over my lap to keep myself from getting “dirty.” I’m still laughing at myself. I’m dirtier than the towel is. I’m happy as a clam though. Yes, I was wearing a respirator mask, but I looked like someone has dumped a bag of flour over my head.

I need to go take a shower and then I’ll see aboutva pic for you. It is broken too so I’m not sure a species level ID is possible.

• I found this Informative 2

11 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Yes, I have taken notes on probably 15 species found in the Britton. Although Emmerson and Akers didn’t list all the ones Kennedy did.

I still need to remove a lot more matrix. #3 has #7 draped over it, but I have 7 at least Allocrioceras

heteromorphs.

Thanks! I didn’t know that there were that many Allocrioceras species in the Britton formation. Would you also be able to share the Kennedy paper which you referenced? 

5 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Thanks! I didn’t know that there were that many Allocrioceras species in the Britton formation. Would you also be able to share the Kennedy paper which you referenced? 

Ok Matthew as you requested. Even in this pic there are 7 different species of cephalopods.

Sorry I didn’t get this one rotated to match the other pic.

50CA7487-22F2-40A3-872E-08F32AFA73F4.thumb.jpeg.3dbf74c9e7c12e4806d3b3c29366d07b.jpeg

This is another view zoomed out a bit. There’s another Allo on the right.

1E44A449-1E9F-4D25-99A9-412F983D7B28.thumb.jpeg.3d6c9b7ab2290217ff28d9a96805787a.jpeg

@KimTexan Kim I also was going to post a pic today of my shirt after I was done cracking open Mazon Creek concretions, but then I looked in the mirror and decided against it. Why you ask? Because, “I’m too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt, so sexy it hurts”. Lol -Great song.

Oh #7 is on the bottom left of pic 1. It currently appears to be U shaped. I’ll work on it some more this weekend if I don’t get called in again. I’m on call the next 8 days. I’m going to be worn out by the end.

1 minute ago, Nimravis said:

@KimTexan Kim I also was going to post a pic today of my shirt after I was done cracking open Mazon Creek concretions, but then I looked in the mirror and decided against it. Why you ask? Because, “I’m too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt, so sexy it hurts”. Lol -Great song.

I’ve never seen you so I can’t comment on the validity of that statement. LOL I know you’re joking around.

There is another difference between men and women. Men seem to have a lot of confidence or at least present themselves as such. 

I can’t imagine a single woman I know prancing around thinking she’s so sexy. Even the ones that are very attractive. We women often lack confidence in that area especially.

Still I had to laugh. When I hear that song I remember back to my college days when it came out. A few male classmates I knew actually strutted around as if they were God’s gift to women singing that song. They were quite serious. I was dying laughing on the inside and rolling my eyes all the while trying to keep a straight face.

1 hour ago, Heteromorph said:

No, not that many Allo. I have at least 9 different Allo specimens. Among the 9 there are at least 2 species represented, possibly 3 or more. I’m not sure yet. I’ll be able to tell more once I get it fully prepped out. I think there are 5 Allo on this one plate.

I have noted between Emerson/Akers book and Kennedy’s paper at least 16 different species of cephalopods from 7 different genus. I don’t have all 16 species represented in my specimens though. I believe there may be more. 

I have not found a complete fauna list yet in on place. At least as complete as it is currently known. I’m sure over time things will be added.

I counted wrong. I changed the 7 to 9.

Edited by KimTexan
Counted wrong

On 5/25/2018 at 7:52 PM, KimTexan said:

I think I recall them coming out with a second edition of something. As I recall it was an update. I don’t remember of which book though.

@BobWill May know. He attends the DPS meetings and is much more “in the know” than I.

I think there is some member of the DPS who works for one of the largest auction houses in the US who does publishing too. I think DPS was going to use them for publishing. That was back in December. So if it isn’t out already it should be soon.

It may have been the book on fossil collecting and prep. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info on the errata. I’ll have to see if they have any available.

Color plate 5 the pics are so dark you can hardly see the detail. I have some of those phosphatic clams.

What they really need to do is make another NSR book. The NSR is really hot. Maybe it always has been. 

Are you on Facebook? DPS has a Group on there that is quite busy. There are numerous weekly posts of NSR finds as well as many other locals.

Sorry I've been out to lunch out of touch. I haven't seen the NSR book errata list but I know there is an effort to re-do it by Mark McKinzie. I don't believe it will be an official DPS Occasional Papers volume this time though. He re-did the Pennsylvanian volume  a while back and it is much better but I have found a few things to fix in it too if anybody wants a copy of my list and I also made a species index for it which is available to download on the DPS website.

Heritage Auction in Dallas has been very kind with their print shop facilities many times over the years and often prints our publications at cost or even free.

Sadly the O.P. Volume 9 is no longer available but I will gladly loan you my copy if that would help. I managed to gather a set of all issues of the Occasional Papers from used book stores and member's spare copies.

Great finds! You're much better at assessing sites from Google Earth than I am. 90% of mine end up duds once I visit them on the ground. lol! 

13 hours ago, gwestbrook said:

Great finds! You're much better at assessing sites from Google Earth than I am. 90% of mine end up duds once I visit them on the ground. lol! 

Good to hear from you Gary. I hope you are feeling better.

Oh dear! Maybe it depends on what you define as a success or maybe it is where you hunt and what you’re looking for. Knowing formations is key. Sometimes I’m looking at the color of exposure in sat images and use that to make the determination.

If you go to find shark’s teeth and only find ammonites or echinoids it isn’t a dud if you’re me.

If hunting in Tarrant County I haven’t found a complete dud yet, that I can recall. They may not have been as abundant or great as I’d like always though.

Dallas and Collin Counties are another story. I’ve had a few duds. But I am pretty easily entertained and I’ll be happy with crystals too.

I need to post 3 trips I had in the past 8-9 days. I found lots of ammonites, a few echinoids and what I believe are 3 pieces of lobster or crab legs along with a sunburn on the upper part of my middle back. I couldn’t reach the spot to put sunscreen on, but didn’t realize that was the case.

Maybe you need to find a buddy and come join me on a fossil trip in the area or I can get a buddy to hunt with me. There seem to be numerous people who want to hunt with me, but we can’t get our scheduled lined up. I’m often a spontaneous or spur of the moment hunter.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:06 PM, BobWill said:

Sorry I've been out to lunch out of touch. I haven't seen the NSR book errata list but I know there is an effort to re-do it by Mark McKinzie. I don't believe it will be an official DPS Occasional Papers volume this time though. He re-did the Pennsylvanian volume  a while back and it is much better but I have found a few things to fix in it too if anybody wants a copy of my list and I also made a species index for it which is available to download on the DPS website.

Heritage Auction in Dallas has been very kind with their print shop facilities many times over the years and often prints our publications at cost or even free.

Sadly the O.P. Volume 9 is no longer available but I will gladly loan you my copy if that would help. I managed to gather a set of all issues of the Occasional Papers from used book stores and member's spare copies.

Holy cow! I just went looking for Occasional Papers on Amazon the NSR one is selling for $155 and another for $345 yet another for $1310!!!! That is crazy! I got mine for under $10. The DPS needs to be putting out more books if those books are actually selling for prices like that.

Holy cow! I just went looking for Occasional Papers on Amazon the NSR one is selling for $155 and another for $345 yet another for $1310!!!! That is crazy! I got mine for under $10. The DPS needs to be putting out more books if those books are actually selling for prices like that.

That's insane. We had so many extra copies of those we actually gave away several cases of them at the Heard museum in Mckinney a few years ago. Everyone who came to the unveiling of the mosasaur we donated got a free copy! I think we finally got rid of most of them.

I doubt that anyone is buying them for that price, I see that all of the time on Amazon. 

My experience with collecting literature(admittedly little:P:ninja:) is that the effects of the laws of supply and demand are variable,to say the least.

Like Bob Will illustrated: one day you can get literature for free once you tanked two gallons of gas,another day outrageous prices prevail.

Although i must say Kim mentioned outrageously steep prices,the kind you expect from e.g. Sp**n*er or *lse*ier

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, Nimravis said:

I would gladly do that. :)

Hey, hurry up, i'm still waiting for you.

5b116adfce0e9_9bbb92a040b1f748674e44ccf64ca7db1.thumb.jpg.f13b2a90aeea0fd64a44a8fe95908002.jpg

I'm in front of the restaurant

5b116b56514b2_andy-hayler-les-pres-eugenie-view-of-entrance-w709-h5321.jpg.a23ce307cf8abc80e647290c098a6b02.jpg5b116b5bac19d_536080_58_z1.jpg.756d01b43ec33fd3602fb50cee8a2420.jpg

And the Chief is waiting for us.

5b116c037a757_l12809751.jpg.1731e8fc1538c0d0f38106585e2b069f.jpg

5b116b09c776e_Les_Pres_Deugenie_Chef_MichelGuerard21.jpg.db1778ca13fcc4557a4c56b12c1cff5b.jpg

Hurry up, look, there's nobody !

5b116b9bc2d92_l12900471.jpg.0a08c3b5b456aea93db2336f4d761563.jpg5b116ba70a934_P11504271.thumb.jpg.10051366eed2360bef11d2065641c0f9.jpgthBI2H2B3A.jpg.3bb1394dedb0993efbfb08a5db325761.jpg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

7 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Hey, hurry up, i'm still waiting for you.

5b116adfce0e9_9bbb92a040b1f748674e44ccf64ca7db1.thumb.jpg.f13b2a90aeea0fd64a44a8fe95908002.jpg

I'm in front of the restaurant

You look stunning and absolutely amazing for 50 something. :D

One look at you and I’d never have guess you were a fossil hunter.:P