Denton Creek (Duck Creek Formation) ID

KimTexan

I still have not figured out the formation the Crustacean fossils (I have 2 similar pieces, but they’re more worn) are from.

I’m looking for formation ID please.

I’m certain it is one of the Washita Group. I also realize now that it is not the Duck Creek (presumptions of a novice wanna be).

Anyway, other fossils I found there were a

a nautilus,

Neithea scallop

Pinna clam fragment

Macraster obesus? Echinoid

echinoid Holaster? maybe

Gryphea? oyster

Mortoniceras ammonites

Small Turitella gastropod.

the crustacean posted.

Am I cornering myself into the Weno? Mancos said it was Paw Paw. I’ve never hunted either so I wouldn’t know them when I’m in them. My second guess would have been Grayson after Duck Creek though, but I’ve never seen a Pinna or M. obesus or Turitella in the Grayson.

This is the exposure:

2643E987-1102-4F04-B718-0DE603A022B7.thumb.jpeg.7e67746cb4e4baa381ed367370f26798.jpeg

E3B96521-3742-4213-8443-0B52CAD94640.thumb.jpeg.57ecf5044e1ba5a12fcd249fe3422a5e.jpeg

@DPS Ammonite, @Uncle Siphuncle Or @BobWill. Is that enough info for any of you to ID the formation?

Any Help would be appreciated. If nothing else I can call it the Washita Group.

If all IDs are correct, could be Weno.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Kim, here is what I would do: search for literature about the formations in that area. Look for stratigraphic columns. Pay attention to the fossils present and the description of the formations. Consider going up and down section. Once you ID an adjacent formation then ID your area based on its relative position (above or below).

Lance Hall's Northtexasfossils.com site might be of help.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Most of those appear in many of the Washita formations. This looks like a tall column so it may expose more than one. Did all of those come from bedrock or undisturbed bank or were some fossils in the float? If the Waconellas were from a different site I don't know what would prevent this site from being Duck Creek.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 6:22 PM, Dantheman135 said:

Not sure if this helps

28E683E8-8D40-4347-9AD6-75C45FC4AF6E.jpeg

Yes that is helpful. What is the source of this? There may be other info in there that will help educate me further on these 4 formations. I’ve never hunted over by Denton.

I don’t think I have encountered the Denton marl.

Thank you so much for sharing!!!

8 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Yes that is helpful. What is the source of this? There may be other info in there that will help educate me further on these 4 formations. I’ve never hunted over by Denton.

I don’t think I have encountered the Denton marl.

Thank you so much for sharing!!!

The Denton is often loaded with innumerable oysters, more so than the other Washita fms, but I have seen a few Morts and Macs thrown in.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 9 months later...

I would have never guessed that was a crab or lobster piece. Has anyone ever found starfish around that area? Just curious because of all the marine life up in that part of Texas.