ID shark centra to type of shark

fossilnut

From my attempts to get information about the types of sharks matched to centra has not been successful. I understand that it is complicated and one reference said there were 14 specifics to ID but it did not provide those criteria. I want to display these shark centra for a "Shark Week" display for the Natural History society of Maryland. Any information that TFF can provide me would be helpful. There are 3 differing pattern on the sides of the centra as shown in the attached pictures. Can we associate any of these types with the megalodon shark? Thanks for your help.

DSCN5150.JPG

@sixgill peteSince I did not receive  any responses to this post, I am reaching out to you since you have helped me in the past for any help you can provide or suggest someone else. I have become very confused as to what type of shark correlates to the different centra. Thanks for any consideration you can give to this request I would really appreciate it. The last picture is the most common of the centra that I have found. If I have done something wrong in my posting please let me know so I can do better.

It is My understanding that there is not enough associated pieces (teeth with verts) to be able to put a genus on most shark verts.

I know that some are oval and are considered to be ray or angel shark.

Maybe @MarcoSr can shed some light on this.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for your encouragement and passing this on. Maybe there is enough info for family of sharks. I would be especially interested if a type of centra could be associated with the family of megalodon because as part of shark fest at NHSM they are unveiling a reproduction of a meg's jaws with real meg teeth. Size of the centra would play a role in id (I think) but still the edge pattern is telling I would expect. One other example I would be interested in id'ing is the tiger shark Galeocerdo. I read that there is a pattern of pores that look as if machined stitched. They have an interesting story to tell about their feeding on sea turtles and then emitting their stomachs to discard the shells. I think this would interest both kids-disgusting and some adults. :hearty-laugh:I Appreciate any help from TFF

Edited by fossilnut
added a sentance about pore pattern

19 hours ago, ynot said:

Maybe @MarcoSr can shed some light on this.

Not much is written on shark vertebrae.  A previous TFF post of mine at the link below might help you a little:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/71769-identifying-sharkraybony-fish-vertebrae/&tab=comments#comment-755584

Your last two vertebrae are definitely not meg.  I don't think your first one is meg either.  I think the damage to it may make it look like it might be from a meg.  Look at Otodus vertebrae on e-bay (There are usually lots of Otodus vertebrae  and usually no meg vertebrae) for an idea of what a meg vertebra looks like.  Below is a picture of an Otodus vertebra from ebay:

image.thumb.png.a692f59d142719d3bd7f6c2921ce2bb7.png

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

@DrMudd Back in 2/17 in response to MarcoSr post about identifying shark centra you indicated you had a number of papers. I hope I am not being impolite in requesting that you post papers or links or info on such papers. A number of members on Tff would greatly appreciate it. Hope I am not out of line with this request.