Something coiled

copacetic

Is this an ammonite? It's not exactly round, and I don't know if an ammonite would compress like this. It would be cool if my daughter had found one, though!

DSC06140-web.jpg

DSC06141-web.jpg

DSC06142-web.jpg

DSC06143-web.jpg

Welcome to the forum. That is most likely a cepalopod of some kind and could be an ammonite or another one of the ammonoids. I see some ornamentation so someone familiar with the fossils typically found at your site may be able to identify it but it's pretty worn and there don't seem to be sutures visible, the best key to ID. If you could find a geological map to determine the age of the deposits where it was found that might help. Sometimes a general location will be enough for someone who collects in the area.

Fossils can be crushed in preservation but it could have that shape if it were a scaphites too.

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I wonder if this isn't a gastropod. :unsure: 

I don't see any sutures that would indicate goniatite or nautiloid. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@doushantuo, I take it you're emphasizing that a fossil can be deformed? That's good to know, because I wouldn't think about something that seems like sold rock being squished! Though a heteromorph ammonite would be way cool, it's probably something less exciting. I wish I knew exactly where it came from, but I only know where it ended up: in playground gravel (which accounts for its terrible condition!).

I'm itching to get out somewhere where we can find things that are better preserved, instead of just unidentifiable fragments! There's nothing in our county, though. We might try to get to Louisville to look for some road cuts soon. 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I'm so glad the Fossil Forum exists so that know-nothings like myself can learn more about the things we find!