Any tips on how to professionally re-attach a tooth tip?

Jaimin013

Hi everyone,

I recently brought a tooth and it arrived today. The seller told me the tip was reattached after being found in two. The sellers pics on their site showed the tooth was re-attached but along the way in its journey to me the tip must have detached likely due to not enough glue being applied or the heat loosening the bond (as it's been record high temps in the UK so could be due to this) or pressure when travelling from the US to the UK by air (unlikely but could be possible). Would PaleoBOND work to glue the tip to the main body of the tooth? As you can see from the pics below the tooth actually fits nicely back together and I feel no friction between the two parts of the teeth when putting them together, thankfully!

Would PaleoBOND work for what I want to achieve and does anyone know where I can buy it from in the UK or ship it from the US to the UK? Any recommendations on a brand of glue? The tooth is an albertosaurus according to the seller but looking at the location (Two Medicine) its likely Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus. Is this website a good starting point although it is a US based website: https://paleobond.com/

Thanks!

20180726_191730.jpg

20180726_191801.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Maybe @Troodon can help. Well maybe not. Will be able to help is a more accurate statement. Nice tooth btw! Great acquisition for any collection.

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

Ouch...looks like a good joint to fix

I use paleobond but any superglue should work.  Just make sure that any adhesive from the prior fix has been removed or you wont get a tight seal.  I use an xacto knife to remove that residue being very careful not to chip the edges.  Any excess glue that comes out of the joint can be removed with a little acetone and blade.  Its a big tooth so it will be easy to do, you dont need much glue.

• I found this Informative 2

Beautiful tooth!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@Troodon brilliant thanks alot the seller has suggested the following but I will take your advice (not sure if I can link to external sites here but will remove the link if I cant) https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Instant-0-47-Fluid-Syringe-1365868/dp/B0044F9KFI/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1532627443&sr=8-15&keywords=two+part+epoxy

@WhodamanHD Thanks! Yes it is incredible can't wait to see how it looks when I have reattached the tip. I love the jet black colour very cool!

11 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

What’s it from?

Seller says it's an Albertosaurus from Two Medicine near Browning Montana however Albertosaurus is not know from that locality. It's either Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus so it's Tyrannosaurid indet. 

32 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Maybe @Troodon can help. Well maybe not. Will be able to help is a more accurate statement. Nice tooth btw! Great acquisition for any collection.

Thanks alot!

31 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Beautiful tooth!

thanks! Yes it's amazing I love it

Most everyone I know repair teeth with a cyanoacrylate adhesive.  Any excess can easily be removed.  

10 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Seller says it's an Albertosaurus from Two Medicine near Browning Montana however Albertosaurus is not know from that locality. It's either Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus so it's Tyrannosaurid indet. 

You are spot on.     Daspletosaurus horneri or Gorgosaurus sp. 

• I found this Informative 4

25 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Most everyone I know repair teeth with a cyanoacrylate adhesive.  Any excess can easily be removed.  

thanks I am going to do some more research and find a suitable adhesive..im ideally looking for an adhesive that is already prepared to use as opposed to me having to prep parts to make up the adhesive

Just now, ynot said:

Do not use "gorilla" glue... it expands when it dries.

thanks for the advice! I will probably end up using what @Troodon has suggested!

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Ouch...looks like a good joint to fix

I use paleobond but any superglue should work.  Just make sure that any adhesive from the prior fix has been removed or you wont get a tight seal.  I use an xacto knife to remove that residue being very careful not to chip the edges.  Any excess glue that comes out of the joint can be removed with a little acetone and blade.  Its a big tooth so it will be easy to do, you dont need much glue.

which of the adhesives here from paelobond should i be looking at for my purpose if I end up choosing their product? https://paleobond.com/product-category/adhesives/

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I use PB002

Thanks so much I will see if I get it to the UK or source somewhere that will ship to the UK or i will go with the standard adhesive that most people use.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I use PB002

@Troodon Would I need to use a structural adhesive after applying PB002 as per the instructions below (step 3) as PB002 is only a stabilizer or will PB002 join both pieces together? Sorry it's a noob question but I am new to all of this. Thanks!

2018-07-26 22_52_25-Microsoft Edge.png

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I just use the PB2 its strong enough for the tooth

Thanks! :dinothumb:

2 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

that tooth is drool worthy......nice score! 

Thanks! Yes it's definitely a unique tooth. I like the dark colour of the tooth and the serrations are overall really nice as well.

• 2 weeks later...

They arrived in the mail. Tomorrow I will be working on re-attaching the tip of this tooth to the rest of the tooth! First time joining broken dinosaur tooth together. I may just only use PB2 on its own but I will see :dinothumb:

20180804_105928x.jpg

I wonted to  add  to this don’t uses too much glue a little will do the job. Sometimes if you use to much glue it will make the repair more obvious and as Troodon said acetone will remove any glue mess. Then” bob’s your uncle “ you have one beautiful tooth. All the best Bobby 

9 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I wonted to  add  to this don’t uses too much glue a little will do the job. Sometimes if you use to much glue it will make the repair more obvious and as Troodon said acetone will remove any glue mess. Then” bob’s your uncle “ you have one beautiful tooth. All the best Bobby 

Thanks I will likely only use PB2 and a small amount of it as it is pretty strong at joining! Thanks for the help and advice!