Any tips on how to professionally re-attach a tooth tip?

Jaimin013

2 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Thanks I will likely only use PB2 and use a small amount as it is pretty strong at joining! Thanks for the help and advice!

Looking forward to seeing it and I am also interested in how you will display it. I am really into the display side of collecting. 

• I found this Informative 1

@Troodon @Bobby Rico can you use any regular acetone for removing old adhesive such as regular nail polish remover? I originally didn't think that the tooth had any residue however having a better look in natural light, I can see that the area circled below on the surface of the tip of the tooth is a different colour than the other part of the tooth. It's alot easier to spot due to the colour of the tooth so I will clean the surface just in case to remove any adhesive but may need to use a xacto knife to very carefully remove the hard to get areas of glue.

20180805_132305.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Fingernail polish remover doesn't have a whole lot of acetone in it. Lots of water, perfumes and skin softeners.

You should use straight acetone. Pretty much available anywhere they sell paint supplies.

Acetone evaporates very quickly. So work speedily and somewhere that there is good ventilation.

NOT UNDER THE COVERS! :P

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

24 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Fingernail polish remover doesn't have a whole lot of acetone in it. Lots of water, perfumes and skin softeners.

You should use straight acetone. Pretty much available anywhere they sell paint supplies.

Acetone evaporates very quickly. So work speedily and somewhere that there is good ventilation.

NOT UNDER THE COVERS! :P

how about this it has nail polish remover in the name but it says 100% acetone? www.amazoncouk/gp/aw/d/B006ISCFI8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1#

Jaimin, I think it would be much more cost effective to just go down to the local hardware and get a tin of acetone from the paint section. You will get more

( volume) for less $.  And likely get it sooner than waiting for the post to deliver.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Jaimin, I think it would be much more cost effective to just go down to the local hardware and get a tin of acetone from the paint section. You will get more

( volume) for less $.  And likely get it sooner than waiting for the post to deliver.

cool thanks for the advice and I will do 

Personally I use cyanoacrylate for nearly all my fossil repairs.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 3 weeks later...

@Troodon @ynot @caldigger @LordTrilobite Done! Wasn't too difficult to do, you can see the fracture but its hardly noticeable and I was fortunate the break wasn't worse. It was really easy to glue together. Within a matter of seconds the bond was strong.

@Bobby Rico Decided to display it in one of these plastic containers used for jewellery as I have an entire box of these. Now my incredible tooth is housed in this. I will add more padding later on just need to decide what material to use. I am trying to figure out one that I can use that doesn't disturb the surface of the tooth.

Display case with the tooth!

20180822_180049.jpg

20180822_125825.jpg

Natural feed wear on the tip, really nice!

Looks good, very nice tooth.   Have you considered using floating frame display case for your special teeth.  They are nice for display but also do a great job protecting them.

download.jpeg.1ca6d292da9c75d3cad904efb2fd998d.jpeg-17.jpg.ca5c9852e1ce71a352338713d766fb9e.jpg

48 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks good, very nice tooth.   Have you considered using floating frame display case for your special teeth.  They are nice for display but also do a great job protecting them.

Yes I have considered this as an alternative and I need to buy some of these. My Torvosaurus tooth came in one but I need to find the stand. Any idea on where I can buy more of these floating mounts? The popular auction site? They are usually provided with the tooth but it would be good to have a few additional ones.

20180822_190259crop.jpg

24 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Yes where I purchased mine direct from China

Thanks @Troodon I will order some! Do you know if they have floating mounts for 3 inch teeth like my rex? If you don't know don't worry I will look for some later this week.

Update: I think I have found one on the popular auction site from china - floating mounts which come in 9cm x 9cm with a stand