Mykkhul97

I have about 2 pounds of what I think is petrified wood, but could be agate? The patterns of grain look like wood, but have seen agates look like it also. Between 5-6 mohs. All of them range from light to dark brown, mocha and every shade of brown in between. Thank you 

1534193501672438569957.jpg

1534193308601-1387171053.jpg

15341934108231343372704.jpg

1534193438834-1526849518.jpg

15341935895901395270943.jpg

Edited by Mykkhul97
I need to put in better pictures

It's difficult to see any vascular structure in these. If you could post a photo that shows more detail, it would help.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

looks like mainly agate to me, nice ones though

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

How can you tell the difference between the two? I cut tons of wood every year and have a lot of bigger pieces of petrified wood... But never this small. When I started tumbling the small pieces, I honestly wasn't sure of what it was. That said, 98% of all of the lot of stones are the same patterns and consistency. So it's either petrified wood or agate or both?

If it is all the same then none of it is petrified wood. The banding is wrong and there is no cellular structures evident.

I would say it is most likely agate, but it could be banded chert.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you for your help again. I placed a bunch of pieces together and though it looks like wood, the bands do look like lake agate 

I don't. But there was 3 large blue agates at 2 lbs each and a gallon plus size of smaller pieces of a brown color. And that's the million dollar question. Being that uniform pattern and color is either agate or petrified wood. I just picked it up today and Im leaning on agate..

Interesting discussion with contraticting opinions!

You would need some definitive wood structure in some pieces to be sure (as already mentioned). But during silicification, the wood structure can be totaly destroyed, just leaving agate, chalcedony or something similar behind. Without textural proof of former wood, you can only use the mineralogical term.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 5

can we see the bottom piece in pic 2 blown up? the light colored streak with darker flecks reminds me of wood structure.

that worked well. It looks like wood to me. Just an opinion based on texture which may also occur mineralogically. Franzbernard made a good comment above.

Have you tried breaking any of it?

• I found this Informative 1

Still looks like wood to me too.  I have tumbled maybe 50lbs of smalls (pet wood) over the last couple of years.  Gotta remember that silicified wood is also called agatized wood.  Not really agate, which many point out must be banded, but like agate highly silicified, an  agatized pseudomorph of wood.

• I found this Informative 2

I see features within the banding that do not fit with wood but match up to agate fairly well.

0813181549.thumb.jpg.1146e7ded496b6cce86cef5e86ce2f14.jpg.213c45d05c0ea838fdd9a5ca01bd28bf.jpg

As for the bottom piece... the specks in it look like small balls (look at the translucent areas) rather than tubes, again fits better with agate than wood.

Another, more general question:

Are there any specimens out there that show both: Silicified wood (with clearly visible wood structure) and true agate (with typical banding) nearby, filling former open spaces. Both within the same specimen. Its just a gut feeling, that it could be possible to have both in the same specimen, but I dont know. Would be interesting to know ;).

Franz Bernhard

22 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Are there any specimens out there that show both: Silicified wood (with clearly visible wood structure) and true agate (with typical banding) nearby, filling former open spaces. Both within the same specimen. Its just a gut feeling, that it could be possible to have both in the same specimen, but I dont know. Would be interesting to know ;).

Franz Bernhard

It is possible to have both. Here is a limb section that is part permineralized wood and part wood cast with layered chalcedony (a close cousin of agate).

IMG_0491.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks, DPS, very nice! Thats what I wanted to see. A very, very clear example.

Some more out there ;)?

Franz Bernhard

10 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Here is a limb section that is part permineralized wood and part wood cast with layered chalcedony (a close cousin of agate).

Beautiful!! Is it yours? Very special!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I've only found the limb casts like that in Texas Springs, NV.  Can we see the side as well?

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

12 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

First off, not all agate/chalidone is banded. Check out Montana moss agate and plume agate.

There are many sites where the petrified wood will also have  or be agate/chalidone (The 2 terms are considered synonyms, and are mostly regional in use.) The preservation can be very good, showing the minutest details of cellular structures. Or it can be a complete cast of the original piece of wood, with no detail of cellular structures at all. Or anywhere in between the two extremes.

You can find petrified wood that runs the full spectrum in the Chinle formation (Arizona's petrified forest.)

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

You can find petrified wood that runs the full spectrum in the Chinle formation (Arizona's petrified forest.)

Is there somewhere a kind of "tutorial collection" with endmembers and everything in between on the internet or somewhere in a paper?
Franz Bernhard