What A Heartbreaker! Biggest Ptychodus So Far For Me.

barefootgirl

I went out for a quick hunt today and found a really nice sized Ptychodus, my biggest one to date. Unfortunately, it was pretty banged up but it was still a nice find and I'm looking forward to finding more of this size. The smaller brown ptychodus was my biggest one till today.

Can someone please tell me if I am correct in saying this is a mortoni.

post-1082-12518366606377_thumb.jpg post-1082-12518364662648_thumb.jpgpost-1082-12518365969409_thumb.jpgpost-1082-12518366194715_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1251837019523_thumb.jpg

post-1082-12518370897124_thumb.jpgpost-1082-12518373738846_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

That's a Large Marge for sure! I like the patterning too :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a Large Marge for sure! I like the patterning too :wub:

Thanks Auspex!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Wow ,you weren't kidding.Can you say ba,ba,ba,,biscuit.Great find girl!There has to be more around that area.Be persistent and keep a lookin.That was one muy grande fish right there.

The teeth of Ptychodus mortoni are easily distinguished from all other Texas species of Ptychodus by the presence of a high conical cusp with radiating occlusal ridges.

Looks like you have a winner!!

Thanks everyone. When i saw it I was shocked at the size. It is a Ptychodus Mortoni correct?

Alfred North Whithead

It is a Ptychodus Mortoni correct?

Your right.

You either have small hands, or that thing is giant!!

You live in the land of giant ptychodus!

Thanks everyone! I cant wait to get out and find some more that size.

Alfred North Whithead

I couldn't see it well enough from your cell phone pic. That's definitely the one that fell out of my truck when I picked up that hitchhiker. :)

Thanks everyone. When i saw it I was shocked at the size. It is a Ptychodus Mortoni correct?

Cool - size matters!!!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

That looks great

But if you don't mind

It's not Dino so without looking to tupid

What are we talking about here:blink:

Thanks everyone! I cant wait to find more. Barry, Travis you need to get up here and help me.:D

Alfred North Whithead

...Can someone please tell me if I am correct in saying this is a mortoni...

I think you'd be correct calling it a "muffin". ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I think you'd be correct calling it a "muffin". ;)

That's funny, cause that's exactly what went through my head when I saw it. I had found a muffin top!! Hmmmmm.... are u out there planting fossils again John?

Alfred North Whithead

That's funny, cause that's exactly what went through my head when I saw it. I had found a muffin top!! Hmmmmm.... are u out there planting fossils again John?

...nope. Been too busy picking them up, and you can be sure that I would hold on to a palm-sized Ptychodus mortoni- damaged, or not. It seems the Austin Chalk has been good to you. It's a wonderful find. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ