What A Heartbreaker! Biggest Ptychodus So Far For Me.

barefootgirl

...nope. Been too busy picking them up, and you can be sure that I would hold on to a palm-sized Ptychodus mortoni- damaged, or not. It seems the Austin Chalk has been good to you. It's a wonderful find. ;)

Thank you John!! You and Barry have been very helpful indeed. Good luck on your next outing.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

That was from one big fish!!! Kenshu Shimada is writing a paper on a group of teeth with a jaw fragment I found this spring , and my teeth aren't near as big as yours, and Shimada is estimating the size of the shark to have been about 11 meters long. That's one big fish. When that paper gets in print, I'll see if I can post a link to it.

Ramo

post-40-12520256784568_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thank you. I would love to read the paper when it gets published. I wish I could find the upper or lower plate of this sucker I would die of happiness.

Wow, how cool for you to have found some jaw with yours. Is that common for this species?

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

There have been quite a few "complete" sets of teeth found in KS, but I don't think many actual jaw sections have been found. The piece I found was about a foot long, 5-6 inches wide, and about 2 inches thick. It was just a part of the lower jaw. There were no teeth attached to the jaw, but a few around it (about 15-20 I forgot how many exactly) Considering that these animals had hundreds of teeth, I didn't find many.

Here is a picture of the edge of the jaw section before 6 hours of hard labor to extract it.

post-40-12520290742308_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

I went out for a quick hunt today and found a really nice sized Ptychodus, my biggest one to date. Unfortunately, it was pretty banged up but it was still a nice find and I'm looking forward to finding more of this size. The smaller brown ptychodus was my biggest one till today.

Can someone please tell me if I am correct in saying this is a mortoni.

post-1082-12518366606377_thumb.jpg post-1082-12518364662648_thumb.jpgpost-1082-12518365969409_thumb.jpgpost-1082-12518366194715_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1251837019523_thumb.jpg

post-1082-12518370897124_thumb.jpgpost-1082-12518373738846_thumb.jpg

Barefootgirl,

Wow, that is huge. A big mortoni is anything around 1 1/2" wide so yours is unusually large. I think the largest Ptychodus belong to the species polygyrus but yours is up there in that magical "golfball" size range. Don't be surprised if you get some offers for that.

Barefootgirl,

Wow, that is huge. A big mortoni is anything around 1 1/2" wide so yours is unusually large. I think the largest Ptychodus belong to the species polygyrus but yours is up there in that magical "golfball" size range. Don't be surprised if you get some offers for that.

Thank you! Cierra has already claimed this tooth for herself and any future children she might have, so I think selling it is out of the question. ^_^

Alfred North Whithead

There have been quite a few "complete" sets of teeth found in KS, but I don't think many actual jaw sections have been found. The piece I found was about a foot long, 5-6 inches wide, and about 2 inches thick. It was just a part of the lower jaw. There were no teeth attached to the jaw, but a few around it (about 15-20 I forgot how many exactly) Considering that these animals had hundreds of teeth, I didn't find many.

Here is a picture of the edge of the jaw section before 6 hours of hard labor to extract it.

If you ever get it out of the matrix and have a good pict of what section you have I would love to see it. That is a wonderful find! I pity you, that matrix looks like some very hard stuff.

Alfred North Whithead

If you ever get it out of the matrix and have a good pict of what section you have I would love to see it. That is a wonderful find! I pity you, that matrix looks like some very hard stuff.

That is Fort Hays Limestone that is very hard. The reason I offered it for donation, was I thought some graduate students would come up and get that thing out. Unfortunately only Dr. Shimada and Mike Everhart showed up, and the three of us got it out. (I joked to them that if I knew I would have to do so much work, I would have just gotten it for myself!!) I'm afraid I don't have any photos of the jaw after we got it out, but I have seen the paper and there are some good photos of it all cleaned up. There were also a lot of little (1mm) black specks in the rock around the jaw, and they ended up being scales that look kind of like little teeth under a microscope. There are photos of those in the paper as well.

-Aldo Leopold

I cant wait to see it. For some reason it just bugs me that no one really knows what this thing looked like.

Alfred North Whithead

Thanks everyone! I cant wait to find more. Barry, Travis you need to get up here and help me.:D

Nice biggun'...... Don't forget about me :unsure::unsure:

Well of course you to.

Alfred North Whithead

I'm in Shreveport now, so I'm probably 2 hours closer, yeah!!!!

Hey Buddy Roux,did you get the coordinates I sent you??

And how far are we looking at?

I'm in Shreveport now, so I'm probably 2 hours closer, yeah!!!!

Your 2 hrs away. If you ever want a cool place to get away thats close to Shreveport try out Caddo Lake. Its wicked cool! They have some really cool cabins there. The lake reminds me more of a river/swamp than a lake and the fishing is awesome!

Alfred North Whithead