Incognito Rockhound

47 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

And also some lacy bryozoan fragments.

That’s from a type of shell we have here rather than a bryozoan (though we do find bryozoa now and then on bones and things)

EDIT: bad eyes, there is a bryozoan if you zoom in.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

25 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

That’s from a type of shell we have here rather than a bryozoan

Interesting! Can you shoot me a name?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

56 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Who needs beans for that? :wacko:

I've always heard from my grandpa that beans make you fart a lot. He even has a song about it :P 

Anyways, I suggest we step away from this rather silly discussion and go back to the best of the best: fossils!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

13 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Interesting! Can you shoot me a name?

Wait! I didn’t see it but there is a bryozoan on there very small. Sorry for my bad eyes, I’ll go edit my post. It’s on a chesacardium whose shell has many confusing bits that people get stuck on.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Good catch! My Ordovician eyes totally missed the bryozoan - the ones I am used to look like this (Disclaimer: photo not my own)

8D7B0F93-2FBB-4008-9AEA-32F7DF822B63.jpeg

Another interesting thing about the fossil is that it is composed of something that looks and feels very similar to the jasper I find in Tennessee.  Is jasper common in the Calvert Cliffs area?

11 hours ago, Incognito Rockhound said:

Another interesting thing about the fossil is that it is composed of something that looks and feels very similar to the jasper I find in Tennessee.  Is jasper common in the Calvert Cliffs area?

A fellow named Jasper Burns wrote a popular, if somewhat dated, book about fossil collecting in the area. Something tells me it may be as close as you're going to get. :)

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

A fellow named Jasper Burns wrote a popular, if somewhat dated, book about fossil collecting in the area. Something tells me it may be as close as you're going to get. :)

I’ll check it out - thank you!

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Question - is it Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States (1991)?

3 hours ago, Incognito Rockhound said:

Question - is it Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States (1991)?

That's it. Do keep in mind that some things have changed since then.

9 hours ago, Rockwood said:

That's it. Do keep in mind that some things have changed since then.

Noted - thank you :)