Keichousaurus - help please

Against better judgement, I acquired a "keishosaurus" fossil. I trust the dealer - but not necessarily their source. I'm attaching some photos - please let me know your opinion - do you think it's a real one, "restored/painted", or a complete/near complete fake. The chip in the left forearm looks concerning to me. Any insight is appreciated. 

IMG_1134b.JPG

IMG_1137b.JPG

IMG_1138b.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I like it. A peek under a Zoomscope at low power or a 10X loupe will quickly reveal any paint mischief. It's impossible to paint such tiny bones without slopping over and the lack of 3D is also apparent for areas that are totally paint.  Not sure about the chip on the forelimb. If it were mine, I'd pop a small flake off the edge of the matrix and see; if a light grey color appears that matches the area in question. 

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks good to me as well, not the best preparation of it, but without holding it, real as far as I can tell, especially with all the cracks that you see on the fossil. Also, if it was faked, they'd also do a better job with the tail, since it isn't complete. 

Doesn't look painted either, the colouring is fairly in line with other examples (including my own). 

• I found this Informative 2

This specimen looks genuine to me, quite typical of acid washed/mechanically prepped Keichousaurus.  The "chip" on the left arm seems to me a missing bone that was broken and detached when digging out.  Compare yours with the photos below.  The first one is a typical acid prepped one, the second one is a non-prepped, natural specimen.

IMG_5327.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

@Crazyhen Does the plate in the first image you posted belong to you? If so, I am curious for more detail. There appears to be a second tiny Keich along side the tail of the primary. Also the large ovoid mass on the plate - ID?

Some time ago I posted to the Forum my observation that fossils of these creatures were very common; but I had never seen a plate that included their assumed prey - fish, inverts. At that time folks replied that fish were known from the same formation - yet no one posted an example of Keich and fish (or any other animal for that matter) on the same plate. 

Has anyone ever seen such an arrangement? 

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Given that the chip looks a different color than the matrix, could the “chip” be calcite? It seems slightly translucent and is the same color as the calcite lines.

Usually defects like chips or out of place bones are a good sign it's not been fabricated!

Nice Keich

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

12 hours ago, snolly50 said:

@Crazyhen Does the plate in the first image you posted belong to you? If so, I am curious for more detail. There appears to be a second tiny Keich along side the tail of the primary. Also the large ovoid mass on the plate - ID?

Some time ago I posted to the Forum my observation that fossils of these creatures were very common; but I had never seen a plate that included their assumed prey - fish, inverts. At that time folks replied that fish were known from the same formation - yet no one posted an example of Keich and fish (or any other animal for that matter) on the same plate. 

Has anyone ever seen such an arrangement? 

Yes, @snolly50, you are very right, there is a hatchling at the tail of the adult, and the ovoid mass is a nodule of something.

And here you have two plates with both Keich and fish (the one with the big fish is just for fun ;))

IMG_5348.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

3 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

And here you have two plates with both Keich and fish

Thank you! After all the images of Keich fossils I have seen, I was starting to believe that they existed all alone! Seriously, there are so many well preserved Keichousaurus fossils, and obviously they had to exist in a well populated ecosystem; I am just surprised that associated creatures do not show up more often. Thanks for showing these.

8 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Thank you! After all the images of Keich fossils I have seen, I was starting to believe that they existed all alone! Seriously, there are so many well preserved Keichousaurus fossils, and obviously they had to exist in a well populated ecosystem; I am just surprised that associated creatures do not show up more often. Thanks for showing these.

It is indeed very interesting.  I have seen many Keich's plates and seldom see that they co-exist with other creatures.  I have also had this question in my mind, and asked the fossil seller in Guizhou.  He said it is very rare too.  

I just recall I have a plate with Keich and small shrimps, and here it is.

IMG_5355.JPG

IMG_5354.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

It is indeed very interesting.  I have seen many Keich's plates and seldom see that they co-exist with other creatures.  I have also had this question in my mind, and asked the fossil seller in Guizhou.  He said it is very rare too.  

I just recall I have a plate with Keich and small shrimps, and here it is.

A very nice plate. I infer that shrimp of that size would have perhaps been prey items for these frequently found reptiles. I am gratified that you have show at least a few examples of associated preservation. As I said I was wondering if the existed at all - so many Keich all alone. Perhaps it has something to do with their typical place of death. Maybe, if in distress, they moved to very shallow water, away from other aquatic creatures??? It's just an interesting puzzle.

59 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

A very nice plate. I infer that shrimp of that size would have perhaps been prey items for these frequently found reptiles. I am gratified that you have show at least a few examples of associated preservation. As I said I was wondering if the existed at all - so many Keich all alone. Perhaps it has something to do with their typical place of death. Maybe, if in distress, they moved to very shallow water, away from other aquatic creatures??? It's just an interesting puzzle.

Your hypothesis makes sense.  Also, it is interesting to note that normally one would find adults in a few layers and then hatchlings in another layer.