Yesterday my hunting buddy Lance, and I headed out to check
out some new places. Just a few highlights from the trip

The place where we were hunting
(pics by Lance)

post-13-12522673446568_thumb.jpg
post-13-12522678878885_thumb.jpg

Some of the fossils found there...

post-13-12522674240565_thumb.jpg

The ones that look like beads are a sponge (Girtyocoelai)
The spiral snail is a Murchisonia

Some of Lance's finds
post-13-12522675990982_thumb.jpg
post-13-12522676253361_thumb.jpg

One in a large rock (crinoid cup)
post-13-12522685378057_thumb.jpg

All in all a fun trip..

post-13-12522673802687_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

That stuff is so cool!

What are the little "pop-a-beads"?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That stuff is so cool!

What are the little "pop-a-beads"?

Auspex, they are the sponge, Girtyocoelai I thought they were cool too...

Welcome to the forum!

very nice places and nice pics

do you have find shark teeth ? :)

Yes, Lance found an old shark tooth at the first site.

Will have to wait for him to take a pic of it.

Welcome to the forum!

Whats the ammonite looking one in the group shot? (maybe ammonite...) I found somthing that looks just like that on a road cut just outside of Abilene.

Those places look awesome. run into any snakes?

Awesome,I love the Worthenia.It looks to be in great shape.I'm pretty shure I have been to that spot.Are there lots of Brachiopod shells on top of that cliff in the first picture?Those Gastropods look to be Straparollus.

Great finds!!

Whats the ammonite looking one in the group shot? (maybe ammonite...) I found somthing that looks just like that on a road cut just outside of Abilene.

Those places look awesome. run into any snakes?

Yes as Barry thought, Straparollus.

Not one snake to be seen anywhere....

Welcome to the forum!

I want to go camping in that first picture maybe forever looks like a nice place to hunt.

Roz you said Lance found a old shark tooth were you all looking for new ones???

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Awesome,I love the Worthenia.It looks to be in great shape.I'm pretty shure I have been to that spot.Are there lots of Brachiopod shells on top of that cliff in the first picture?Those Gastropods look to be Straparollus.

Great finds!!

Thanks...

No, not any at the top that I saw... I think Lance found some at that site though.

I loved the shuttle service there. Really nice people....

Welcome to the forum!

I want to go camping in that first picture maybe forever looks like a nice place to hunt.

Roz you said Lance found a old shark tooth were you all looking for new ones???

No, just me and didn't find any either...:P

Welcome to the forum!

This trip consisted of two localities actually.

Locality #1 was an old quarry that has been reclaimed for other purposes hence our being able to get in.

The yellow sandy shale up high is abundant in the typical north Texas crinoids (Delocrinus?). Roz found a few other things I didn't.
post-11-0-84001900-1324136890_thumb.jpg
post-11-12522790283998_thumb.jpg

The gray shale layers in the quarry produced mainly small Chonetina brachiopod shells and the pop-bead sponges Roz mentioned.
post-11-0-31888000-1324136230_thumb.jpg
post-11-12522816154761_thumb.jpgpost-11-12522790742527_thumb.jpg

================================

Locality #2 was a stop in Wise County. It has an abundance of limestone plates full of crinoid hash.
post-11-12522797719288_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-58685200-1324134978_thumb.jpg

The fossils in the gravel bar are unusually good quality.

A piece of "oolitic limestone":
post-11-12522800526004_thumb.jpg

A rare Cinclidonema texanum snail. The name is probably outdated since "Cinclidonema" is a much much older genus name:
post-11-125228006892_thumb.jpg

A Striatopora moorei coral:
post-11-12522801092353_thumb.jpg

And a closeup of the best Worthenia sp. snail I have ever found anywhere in north Texas:
post-11-0-13403100-1324135903_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roz

Very cool stuff. I am slowly working my way North--I need some new stuff although today I scored a ton of urchins.

Bob,

How 'bout a new thread to show us ur urchins. I really enjoy seeing your finds. BTW, I know a couple of Penn sites up north when you're ready to go.

Roz & Lance,

What a great day you had. It was even nice here in Austin (<100 degrees), giving me a chance to organize some of my outdoor fossil storage.

Rozzilla.... Nice fossils!..... Lovely scenery..... and hardly a cloud in the sky....you guys are so lucky.... I bet youve never heard of wellington boots....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Rozzilla.... Nice fossils!..... Lovely scenery..... and hardly a cloud in the sky....you guys are so lucky.... I bet youve never heard of wellington boots....

Well thanks, Terry... It is a bonus to hunt a good visual place.

Wellington boots? They don't sell boots in Texas. There is just no

need for them..:P:D

Welcome to the forum!

...They don't sell boots in Texas. There is just no

need for them..:P:D

Every time I visit friends in Texas, I have to bring hip boots :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Getting were you need them here sometimes

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Great finds!!

Is Worthenia the secong gstropod pic? I loooooove that shape! :wub: Wow! Is it Mesozoic? :blink:

Is Worthenia the secong gstropod pic? I loooooove that shape! :wub: Wow! Is it Mesozoic? :blink:

Yes,and it's a real beauty! I too love that shape.It reminds me of pointed mountain with a narrow trail around the edge.

I agree sometimes the mud that is spewed around these parts gets pretty deep :D:D

Auspex, they are the sponge, Girtycoelai I thought they were cool too...

Roz,

I think they are Girtyocoelia, as opposed to girtycoelia. I don't know anything about fossil taxonomy, but I learned to differentiate them from the lumpy stems of girtycoelia by imagining that Mr. Girty added the "o" because of their round shape.

You guys find the most amazing sites. I saved your post with the dermal denticles and go back and look at it from time to time because they are so exceptional.

Thanks,

fowells