Pennsylvanian Hunting Trip (Texas)

Roz

This trip consisted of two localities actually.

Locality #1 was an old quarry that has been reclaimed for other purposes hence our being able to get in.

The yellow sandy shale up high is abundant in the typical north Texas crinoids (Delocrinus?). Roz found a few other things I didn't.

post-11-12522790283998_thumb.jpg

The gray shale layers in the quarry produced mainly small Chonetina brachiopod shells and the chain corals Roz mentioned. post-11-12522816154761_thumb.jpg

post-11-12522790742527_thumb.jpg

================================

Locality #2 was a creek out in the country. We call this spot "Crinoid Creek" for the abundance of limestone plates full of crinoid hash.

post-11-12522797719288_thumb.jpg

This was our 2nd visit and going upstream we started to notice unusually good quality fossils in the gravel and loose chips of dark gray shale. We followed the creek maybe 100 yards but did not find the source of the fossils. post-11-12522800526004_thumb.jpg post-11-125228006892_thumb.jpg post-11-12522801092353_thumb.jpg post-11-12522816813523_thumb.jpg

We shall return!

Lance,

What is the gastropod in the center of the last row of fossil pix? I think I have found these weathered smooth, never with the ornamentation intact, so haven't been able to ID. It's beautiful and I think maybe uncommon Penn gastro.

Thanks,

fowells

Lance,

What is the gastropod in the center of the last row of fossil pix? I think I have found these weathered smooth, never with the ornamentation intact, so haven't been able to ID. It's beautiful and I think maybe uncommon Penn gastro.

Thanks,

fowells

I've looked in several sources and can't find a match.

Roz,

I think they are Girtyocoelia, as opposed to girtycoelia. I don't know anything about fossil taxonomy, but I learned to differentiate them from the lumpy stems of girtycoelia by imagining that Mr. Girty added the "o" because of their round shape.

You guys find the most amazing sites. I saved your post with the dermal denticles and go back and look at it from time to time because they are so exceptional.

Thanks,

fowells

Thanks, fowells

I saw both in the book but admit it confused me

and I wrote the wrong one. Handy way to remember it.

You are a fan of the dermals too! I just love them. I have

them all in a clear case where I can see them frequently.

Glad to know there are more dermal lovers out there......

Welcome to the forum!

Whats the ammonite looking one in the group shot? (maybe ammonite...) I found somthing that looks just like that on a road cut just outside of Abilene.

Those places look awesome. run into any snakes?

Tons of them at Jacksboro!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

• 2 weeks later...

Lance,that is very interesting and intriguing.I can't wait to hear what others think about it...because I sure as heck haven't a clue!

well, lance, i was hoping someone would id the thing that's seen a bunch of it, but i'm guessing it's oolite.

i can't think of what else it could be.

oolite

Lance, Roz,

This coral you found,

post-8-12534588911825_thumb.jpg

I found one like it in the Gunsight, Tx area. I have it identified as Acaciapora sp., Order Tabulata. If you have a specie name please let me know.

Nice fossils.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Loved looking at these. Eastern KY is also a great area for Pennsylvanian stuff, especially trees and plants. One of the coolest epochs in my book. Love the corals. B)

Lance, Roz,

This coral you found,

I found one like it in the Gunsight, Tx area. I have it identified as Acaciapora sp., Order Tabulata. If you have a specie name please let me know.

Nice fossils.

JKFoam

JK, I have been finding this in Wise County and thinking it is the bryozoan Rhombopora Lepidodendroidea.

Fowells,

The bryozoan genus Rhombopora is charaterized by the zooecium (pore openings) being eliptical in shape. Also, around the zooecium is a thickened ridge that is rhomboidal in shape giving rise to the genus name. And the pore size is very small compared to the size of the pore of the subject fossil. Also the pore opening of the subject fossil is generally hexanonal. If you have a copy, see "Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer, pages 168 and 170.

Some of the Tabulate corals can easily be taken for Bryozoa.

JKFoam

Guest N.AL.hunter

I think I have found some of these Worthenia things. I'll take a pic tonight and post it for correct ID. Wonderful fossils you have been finding.

Fowells,

The bryozoan genus Rhombopora is charaterized by the zooecium (pore openings) being eliptical in shape. Also, around the zooecium is a thickened ridge that is rhomboidal in shape giving rise to the genus name. And the pore size is very small compared to the size of the pore of the subject fossil. Also the pore opening of the subject fossil is generally hexanonal. If you have a copy, see "Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer, pages 168 and 170.

Some of the Tabulate corals can easily be taken for Bryozoa.

JKFoam

Thanks, JKFoam. I'd rather be finding coral than bryozoa anyway.

Lance, Roz,

This coral you found,

Nice fossils.

JKFoam

Lance, Roz,

In my response above I identified a coral you posted a picture of as Acaciapora sp. Today I was able to visit the U.of Texas Geology Library and spent some time reviewing articles in paleontology journals that discussed Pennsylvanian Corals. I must tell you that my identification of your coral as Acaciapora sp. was wrong. I now believe that the correct identification would be Striatopora moorei Wells 1944. As a reference see, Journal of Paleontology, May 1944, Vol 18, No. 3, pg 259-262, "New Tabulate Corals from the Pennsylvanian of Texas" by John W. Wells".

Lance, Roz,

In my response above I identified a coral you posted a picture of as Acaciapora sp. Today I was able to visit the U.of Texas Geology Library and spent some time reviewing articles in paleontology journals that discussed Pennsylvanian Corals. I must tell you that my identification of your coral as Acaciapora sp. was wrong. I now believe that the correct identification would be Striatopora moorei Wells 1944. As a reference see, Journal of Paleontology, May 1944, Vol 18, No. 3, pg 259-262, "New Tabulate Corals from the Pennsylvanian of Texas" by John W. Wells".

Yeah, was thinking that also, I have the PDF of that paper. Also we found ours in the same area bascially.

The corals are in fantastic condition, look new. They must be coming out of some soft clay/shale zone up the creek.

Also, found a paper that has a snail very similar in ornamention to my mystery snail. Mine seem more angular in shape . If it was just that one I'd say it was because of crushing but they are all that way. Anyways, not sure.

post-11-12542727355727_thumb.jpg

Edited by LanceHall

OK, one more fossil.... anyone know what this is? I'm not even sure it's a fossil.

post-11-12534005794897_thumb.jpg

Oolites?

Of course my first thought was frog eggs or roe...

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Oolites?

Of course my first thought was frog eggs or roe...

Yeah, think I'm gonna accept it as ooilitic limestone for now.

Also, found a paper that has a snail very similar in ornamention to my mystery snail. Mine seem more angular in shape . If it was just that one I'd say it was because of crushing but they are all that way. Anyways, not sure.

post-11-12542727355727_thumb.jpg

Lance, Too close not be, especially with that square shoulder at the top of the whorl. I'm labeling mine Cinclidomena texanum. - Fowells

JKFoam, This what you confirmed in your email, correct? - Fowells

Fowells,

Yes, thats it.

JKFoam