What are these from, if at all possible to ID

Tim.shrek

• New Members

Hi All,  hoping you can tell me what these may be from.  Found near Hamilton, KY.  I have included multiple pictures with a ruler as well.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Found on a creek.

bone.jpg

bone1.jpg

bone2.jpg

bone3.jpg

bone5.jpg

I would guess that the first specimen is not a fossil, the second one is an intriguing impression that I can't quite make out, and the final one a significantly eroded "deer heart clam" (at least by appearance, as I am not intimately familiar with the formation from which this was collected). I'll tag @Herb on these.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

Thanks.  The first two pics are the same one top and one bottom.  The last three are the same as well.  I never even hear of a deer heart clam until just now.  Would they be porous as this one appears to be?

The last rock is not a bivalve internal mold or dear heart. A close up photo might be revealing; a bone is possible. Does the rock fizz in acid? The top rock has possible shell.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Possible bryozoan on shell fragment?? the other looks like worn rock to me.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The first one is quite organized with shapes repeating along it's length. @Tim.shrek some close up photos of the surface of this one would be helpful in determining what it might be, if there are pores or striations or etc.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

• New Members

Does the first one feel like it could be clay? It sort of looks like a fragment, more specifically the bowl, of a clay pipe with a spur from sometime prior to the 20th-century.

The ribbed design is a pretty common feature, but is usually found on the exterior; there were thousands of different regional variations though so its not an exact thing.

http://suffolkarchaeology.co.uk/news/a-group-of-19th-century-clay-tobacco-pipes-from-college-street-bury-st-edmunds

• New Members

Definitely not clay, feels like stone, but I believe it to be bone (but I could absolutely be wrong).  The inside where the ridges are is concave, I have also attached a pic of what appears to be gnaw marks on it - but like I said this is stone like - I have found bones in the past but this is definitely not like it.  I also took more closeups of the deer heart like thing.  I was told someone found ground sloth bones and the like somewhere around there as well.

bonee.jpg

boned.jpg

bonec.jpg

boneb.jpg

bonea.jpg

@Tim.shrek. Your last group of photos are revealing a heart shaped bone fragment. The arrow points to foramen. This one probably an opening for blood vessel, maybe nerve.

Inkedboned.thumb.jpg.f608f7cd96ad1049910ac9cd1cb766c0_LI.jpg.002cbb5ff0127552c3127e4eae2a3881.jpg

I still can't quite make out the other.

Second item is the end of a long bone, probably a humerus, of a large mammal. First item is definitely bone, but I can't tell whether it is a chunk of jaw preserving the alveoli of the teeth or whether it is a synsacrum from a large bird, and the regularly-spaced ridges are sacral ribs. I would need to see somewhat better pics.

But, both of these are vertebrate fossils, almost certainly Pleistocene in age.

• New Members
2 hours ago, Innocentx said:

@Tim.shrek. Your last group of photos are revealing a heart shaped bone fragment. The arrow points to foramen. This one probably an opening for blood vessel, maybe nerve.

Inkedboned.thumb.jpg.f608f7cd96ad1049910ac9cd1cb766c0_LI.jpg.002cbb5ff0127552c3127e4eae2a3881.jpg

I still can't quite make out the other.

Thanks - I was thinking that was something along those lines, although I didn't know the terminology. (but now I do!!)

Hi @Tim.shrek. Sorry to bother you but I am still mystified by the smaller piece. 

Could you tell me if the areas marked with red dot are depressions or are raised up.

Inkedbone1.jpg.4d67a7425fb7cb041c43bfc0b9788be8_LI.jpg.6a5fc0263305ba633b7217b3e38bba55.jpg

Your other photo of it in different lighting seems to show a quite different orientation of depths.

bonea.jpg.7af6103229bbe6f30472d5544ba1087a.thumb.jpg.5f2c4f06b30f4536c840d05a118e0045.jpg

Thanks.