First Post, ID Help and Best Practices

barbieje

Hello all,

I have been a long time lurker and decided to finally have a voice. I am a long time rock lover, and unfortunately am in the beginning stages of trying to learn everything I forgot as a child, ie. I am happy to take constructive criticism. 

I have been traipsing through muddy creeks and cut roads looking for rocks that are interesting. I happened across the embedded rock a week ago and I don't know where to begin in the identification process. 

The picture attracted is on a slope that leads to a creek in Richland Hills, TX, just east of Fort Worth. I assume the city cemented rocks together to prevent erosion and they did a really great job. This fossil(?) is about 8 inches by 10 inches and appears to be a rib cage. 

Would anyone be able to help me in determining the proper steps to take to identify what type of animal this was?

20181111_183058.jpg

Welcome to the Forum - we're glad to have you here :) 

I think you've got some kind of shell, probably ammonite (maybe oyster, tho...) :) Nice start to a great passion!!!

-Christian

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thank you so much. Your response is exactly why I signed up. My immediate thought was a rib cage, I wouldn't have ever thought about a shell.  I love it. Thank you. 

Thank you Darktooth (I giggled a bit writing your name)! I am excited to figure out what I have been bringing home with me the last few years. 

welcome to the Forum. It is part of an ammonite

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

12 hours ago, barbieje said:

Thank you Darktooth (I giggled a bit writing your name)

Ooo, he takes that name very seriously!

However, we have trouble taking him seriously because of it. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG