RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

20 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Nice!!! Restoration sometimes goes hand in hand with preparation...

I figured I had too being that these parts were already there for 38 million years and then I come along and wipe them out.  I  used to build legs and such on crabs that had missing stuff but stopped doing that.  Now its only to rebuild stuff that was already there.  Trying to keep it the way mother nature preserved it.

RB

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 3

Hey you're my inspiration, dude! I just got an air compressor, and this weekend I'm going to take a crack at some of the pulalius concretions I found over the summer. I can see claws and legs sticking out on some of them, so I know that at least a couple are good for it! They're pretty small though, biggest one I found can't be bigger than 2' in diameter, and the smallest one that I know has a crabby in it is probably only about 1.25' in diameter, any tips for the smaller ones?

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, Neanderthal Shaman said:

Hey you're my inspiration, dude! I just got an air compressor, and this weekend I'm going to take a crack at some of the pulalius concretions I found over the summer. I can see claws and legs sticking out on some of them, so I know that at least a couple are good for it! They're pretty small though, biggest one I found can't be bigger than 2' in diameter, and the smallest one that I know has a crabby in it is probably only about 1.25' in diameter, any tips for the smaller ones?

If you're talking inches, then I think you should rather use this symbol: " :)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 hours ago, Neanderthal Shaman said:

any tips for the smaller ones?

Going slowly helps a lot.  The right air scribe helps too.  And maybe some magnification.  Some of these small concretions will have only a carapace if anything at all.  But, just take your time with the ones that do have a crab in them with claws and legs.  and best of luck. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got several crab preps going right now, but I did just finished this one.  His name is 'Poppa' crab.   Once completed, there will be a 3 part video series with 'Baby' crab, Momma crab and of course, Poppa crab.  Sounds silly, but I don't care.  These video's are a few weeks away though. 

RB

This concretion weighed 36.4 lbs when I started and still weighs almost the same cause the crab was very much on top of the concretion!  I was actually super glad when done.  Got very tired of constantly moving this thing around trying to prep it.  Uuuuugh!   But what a frikin beauty it is now!  and two tippy tippy's!   Woooooop  Woooooop!!!

P1040344.thumb.JPG.7efb6c95735c6daf313e90e80682ac47.JPG

• Enjoyed 13

5 hours ago, RJB said:

I've got several crab preps going right now, but I did just finished this one.  His name is 'Poppa' crab.   Once completed, there will be a 3 part video series with 'Baby' crab, Momma crab and of course, Poppa crab.  Sounds silly, but I don't care.  These video's are a few weeks away though. 

RB

This concretion weighed 36.4 lbs when I started and still weighs almost the same cause the crab was very much on top of the concretion!  I was actually super glad when done.  Got very tired of constantly moving this thing around trying to prep it.  Uuuuugh!   But what a frikin beauty it is now!  and two tippy tippy's!   Woooooop  Woooooop!!!

Wowzers !! WOWZERS I am looking forward to a link to the video...

• I Agree 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The prep job is on par with all your work.  Fabuloso!  The smoothed matrix makes the crab look like it's in the shallow water submerged into the sandy bottom eating some fish scraps.

I have 3 crab concretions I haven't even touched, yet, while I practice on the Utah found Cretaceous concretions and keep reviewing your past prepping videos.  I'll probably goof the first one but by the third I might have an exposed fossil crab of some sort. Chinese origin - not expensive. 

That has to be one if the best positioned tumidos (and prepped!) I’ve seen. Claws away from the front and legs nicely splayed. Gives it an open dramatic feel.

im presuming not a B-grade? 😜

making it into the collection? 😁

96BA804D-8541-46FA-9B5C-CA66B0660548.jpeg.fe104410656b45f4120b3708d89dd51c.jpeg

Edited by Doctor Mud
  • Enjoyed 2

19 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Wowzers !! WOWZERS I am looking forward to a link to the video...

Hi Jack, you may have to remind me with the link.  I dont post those here anymore but if you want, you can always go to my channel, RB Fossils, and check

17 hours ago, Brandy Cole said:

That is an amazing and beautiful prep!

Thanks Brandy.  I do try but am never quite happy with the results.  I sometimes have to stop looking at a project so that I can stop working on it.

16 hours ago, SPrice said:

The prep job is on par with all your work.  Fabuloso!  The smoothed matrix makes the crab look like it's in the shallow water submerged into the sandy bottom eating some fish scraps.

Thank you SPrice.  and best of luck on you crab preps.

9 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

That has to be one if the best positioned tumidos (and prepped!) I’ve seen. Claws away from the front and legs nicely splayed. Gives it an open dramatic feel.

Thanks Dr Mud.   It really was fun to prep this crab.  and yeah, this one goin into the collection.

RB

Looks amazing. Was looking at little ones else where but they looked nowhere near as good. :JC_doubleup:

• Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...

That last crab was Poppa crab.  I now have Momma and Baby crab completed.  I did the poppa crab first cause I couldn't get it out of my head the way it was shaped.   I also made prep video's of each crab including a time lapse of baby crab, a You Tube Short.  Poppa crab is coming out this Saturday.  All can be seen on RB Fossils if you like.   Here are both finished momma and baby crab.  Enjoy

RB

P1090415.JPG

P1090416.JPG

P1260049.JPG

P1260053.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

I started this crab about 3 months ago.  It was a concretion that was already split when I got it.  I had cut the top part of the top piece of rock and then glued the halves together.  I was kicking myself in the rear because I had not done a tiny bit of exploritory prep to find out weather or not it had any tippy tippy's?  That made me think that this crab wasn't as special as I had first anticipated and left if alone for about 2 months.   I finally got it done.

This is how it looked after the 2 halves where glue together and ready for prep.  This concretion measures 6.5 inches across

P1280062.thumb.JPG.cb925c6a077391ff88d98dfb56fb376a.JPG

Being that there was crab on both halves, I was fighting glue everywhere!  Even 1/4 inch of the right dactyl was missing and so was the rock!  This thing was looking as ugly as sin!

P1290086.thumb.JPG.68af4884bad8184ecfb6361f95322b9a.JPG

In the end, with a ton of prep work, it came out not so bad. 

P2050158.thumb.JPG.ea0d7601a18af772fa3a9d43eea69d07.JPG

• Enjoyed 8