My trilobite of the week.

rew

3 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Awesome bug! :drool:

-@fossilhunter21

Thanks.  No one will be shocked to hear that this is one of my favorite trilobites.  This is one of the bugs I show people to explain why I have this geeky hobby.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Man! That must've been one heckuva prep and restore job!!!

The prep is excellent.  I don't detect any restoration on that bug.  Of course it has the usual crack repair.

9 hours ago, rew said:

I don't detect any restoration

I thought that I could at least detect a few spines which had been glued back together.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

This is not to create controversy, nor detract from this sensational, and spectacular piece, indeed, it would be normal in these cases.
The only thing that I can appreciate is in those thorns, maybe some are stuck, or they are just cracks. :zzzzscratchchin:

Polish_20220102_111302615.thumb.png.5ca12d24623416d8faf24d8fc8ff3f29.png

Edited by Paleorunner
  • I Agree 2

It is quite common to have a few spines break in the preparation process (intentionally or otherwise), which might be prepared separately and glued on after, or to restore some tiny bits (tips, etc.). I can tell on my own example of Dicranurus where such minor restorations are performed, and it doesn't really detract from the impressive nature of these. 

• I Agree 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

As I said, there are crack repairs.  Including to some of the spines.  The main break in the rock runs from the upper left to the lower right, and quite a few spines were on that break (including the left occipital spine) so all have glued repair cracks.  There are a few repairs on spines in the lower left that may have broken during preparation.  The breaks along the main crack were of course inevitable, the trilobite wouldn't have been found otherwise.

There are also numerous fine orange lines running through the shell.  The are micro cracks in the shell that got filled in when mineralized water seeped in.  Nature's original crack repair.

Edited by rew

Trilobite of the week #210 is Kayserops tamnrherta of Middle Devonian age from Zuguid, Morocco.  This is yet another member of the Acastidae.  The lenses of the schizochroal eyes are readily seen in the second photograph, they are not so easy to see is real life, as the entire bug is just under 3 cm long.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

right-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 6

Trilobite of the week #211 is Asteropyge sp. of Early Devonian age from the Hunsruck Slate of Bundenbach, Germany.  The Hunsruck Slate is a famous site, with many crinoid, starfish, brittlestar, and carpoid fossils, along with other types of animals like sea spiders, Phyllocarids, Marrellomorphs, sponges, fish, and even an Anomalocarid.  And yes, it has some trilobites too.  This is the only Acastid trilobite I've seen from the Hunsruck Slate.  I'm certainly not saying it's the only one, but members of that family don't seem very common in that formation.

dorsal-rotated-cropped-small.jpg

full-plate-cpy-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 5

Trilobite of the week #212 is Acastella tiro of Early Devonian age from the Borschtiv Layers of Mel'nytsia-Podilsky, Ukraine.  This is my only trilobite from Ukraine.  So far there's no sign of me running out of trilobites in the Acastidae.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Trilobite of the week #213 is Kierarges morrisoni of Early Ordovician age from the Upper Fezouata Formation at Zagora, Morocco.  This is a member of the Asaphidae with a spade-like pygidium.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

On 5/11/2019 at 8:40 PM, rew said:

Now for the official trilobite of the week, #41, Akantharges mbareki, of Middle Devonian age and from Jorf, Morocco.  This is a clear relative of Basseiarges mellishae but is somewhat larger and more ornate.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

dorsolateral-cropped-small.jpg

Wow! This one is unlike any trilobite I've ever seen. Those genal spines are really something! Well, and the pygidial spines, too. WAY cool.

57 minutes ago, KathyGrant said:

Wow! This one is unlike any trilobite I've ever seen. Those genal spines are really something! Well, and the pygidial spines, too. WAY cool.

Yes, Akantharges mbareki is a wonderfully craggy lichid trilobite.  It was a reef trilobite and in life it probably had coloration that camouflaged it well within the coral.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

This one also has its species named after one of our forum members.

Yes.  The genus name is in honor of Carlo Kier, director of Back to the Past Museum, and the species name is dedicated to Scott Morrison, at the University of Oregon.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:36 AM, rew said:

Well, I'd like to make the trilobite of the week be one where I get the identification right.  This one is as unmistakable as Arctinurus boltoni.  Trilobite #52 is Bristolia insolens, an Early Cambrian bug from the Latham Shale of San Bernardino County, California.

dorsal-cropped-small.jpg

Looks like Jimmy Durante as an alien.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:09 PM, rew said:

A couple more pictures...

back-fixed-cropped-small.jpg

Those eyes!

Edited by Kane
Resizing photo

On 6/15/2019 at 12:36 AM, rew said:

Well, I'd like to make the trilobite of the week be one where I get the identification right.  This one is as unmistakable as Arctinurus boltoni.  Trilobite #52 is Bristolia insolens, an Early Cambrian bug from the Latham Shale of San Bernardino County, California.

dorsal-cropped-small.jpg

I haven't even found a decent cephalon of this one yet let alone a nice complete one. Great piece from that formation.

Trilobite of the week #214 is Selenopeltis longispina of Late Ordovician age from El Kaid Errami, Morocco.  This has macropleural spines at the second and eighth thoracic segments.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Crazy awesome trilos! I haven't heard of half of them, but dang they're cool! Really love the Asteropyge, as I am in to asteropygines at the moment.

Trilobite of the week #215 is Octillaenus marocanus of Late Ordovician age from the Upper Ktaoua Formation (Ouzregui layer) at Jbel Bou Ingarf, Zagora, Morocco.  This is a small member of the Illaenidae.  Most members of that family have ten thoracic segments, this bug has eight.  Hence its genus name.  I have seen big examples of this species as large as 2.7 cm but this one is a mere 1.6 cm.  Like all members of its family, its head is swollen and looks a size too big for its body.

dorsal-rotated-cleaned-small.jpg

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

On 8/23/2020 at 3:46 PM, piranha said:

Interestingly, the best-known taxon, Gravicalymene celebra, has been the subject of the most name changes, including Calymene blumenbachii, Calymene niagarensis, Calymene celebra, Flexicalymene celebra, Apocalymene celebra, Sthenarocalymene celebra, and Gravicalymene celebra."

Does this mean that Calymene niagarensis is no longer a valid classification, that bugs formerly known as C. niagarensis should now be classified Gravicalymene celebra? Sorry; I find the constant changes SO confusing.

30 minutes ago, KathyGrant said:

Does this mean that Calymene niagarensis is no longer a valid classification, that bugs formerly known as C. niagarensis should now be classified Gravicalymene celebra? Sorry; I find the constant changes SO confusing.

Calymene niagarensis and Calymene blumenbachii are still valid species. The quote from Kleffner et al. 2012 is referring to the general taxonomic confusion connected to the "celebra " group over the years. 

"This group is now recognized as the Gravicalymene celebra Association (originally published as the Sthenarocalymene celebra Association, Mikulic, 1999)...   ...Many of these taxa have been revised over the past 170 years since the first specimens were reported.  Interestingly, the best-known taxon, Gravicalymene celebra, has been the subject of the most name changes, including Calymene blumenbachii, Calymene niagarensis, Calymene celebra, Flexicalymene celebra, Apocalymene celebra, Sthenarocalymene celebra, and Gravicalymene celebra."

Kleffner, M.A., Cramer, B.D., Brett, C.E., Mikulic, D.G., Kluessendorf, J., Johnson, T. 2012

Lower Silurian of Western Ohio – The Case of the Disappearing Dayton, and unique Midwestern co-occurrence

of Pentamerid Brachiopods with the Gravicalymene celebra Trilobite Association in the Springfield Formation. 

Geological Society America, Field Guides, 27:1-18

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 minute ago, piranha said:

Calymene niagarensis is still a valid species. The quote from Kleffner et al. 2012 is referring to the general taxonomic confusion connected to the "celebra " group over the years. 

Thanks!

Trilobite of the week #216 is Ceraurus globulobatus of Middle Ordovician age from the Bobcaygeon Formation at Simcoe County, Ontario.  This is an imperfect specimen, there is missing shell to the right of the glabella and above the eye, and other, more minor defects.  I haven't seen a perfect one of these outside of a museum.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3