My trilobite of the week.

rew

Trilobite of the week #256 is Salterocoryphe salteri of Middle Ordovician age from the Llanvirn Series, Volongo Formation at Northern Portugal.  This trilobite got skewed as the rock it's embedded in got stretched in one direction and compressed in another.  This bug is in the family Calymenidae.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5

Trilobite of the week #257 is Bailiella lantenoisi of Middle Cambrian age from the Xuzhuang Formation at Shandong, China.  This trilobite is in the family Conocoryphidae and it closest relative in my collection is the Czech trilobite Conocoryphe sulzeri .  Both trilobites are blind.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

On 11/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #256 is Salterocoryphe salteri of Middle Ordovician age from the Llanvirn Series, Volongo Formation at Northern Portugal.  This trilobite got skewed as the rock it's embedded in got stretched in one direction and compressed in another.  This bug is in the family Calymenidae.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

The pictures of this type of preservation always give me a headache :s_confused: My poor brain just demands to straighten it out

• Enjoyed 1

My trilobite of the week, a nice example of Bollandia trivignoi with associated crinoids and brachiopods.

Carboniferous (Duckmantian)

From Cáceres, Spain.

16705861654508027133437059452100.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

Trilobite of the week #258 is Teinistion sp. of Late Cambrian age from the Longha Formation of Wenshan, Yunnan, China.

This is a tiny trilobite, about 9 mm long, about the same size as my Meadowtownella trentonensis.  It belongs to the family Damesellidae in the order Ondontopleurida.  So its closest relative in my collection is the Damesella paronai.

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

• 2 weeks later...

Trilobite #259 is Wanneria walcottana of Early Cambrian age, a Redlichid from Kinzer's Formation at Brubaker's Quarry, Lancaster, PA. 

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 4

Trilobite of the week #260 is Sinosaukia distincta, of Late Cambrian (Jianshanian stage) age, from the Sandu Formation at Baise, Guangxi province, China.

Also, Merry Christmas, everyone.

• Enjoyed 5

It's a new year so in keeping with past years the trilobite of the week must be extra special.  I believe this one qualifies.

Trilobite of the week #261 is Drotops armatus of Devonian age from the Bon Dib Formation at Mrakib, Morocco.  Most members of the Phacopidae are buttoned down and conservative bugs, with no spines or fancy rostrums.  This is the punk rocker of the family.  It has spines for eyebrows.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

left-cropped-small.jpg

front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 11

Wow!!  That is a spectacular trilobite. Just when I think you must be out of really neat ones, you post this. Are there particular types of trilobites you focus on or do you try to acquire representatives of all families?  I don’t even know how many families of trilobites there are, I’ll have to look that up. I look forward to the next installment, thanks again for posting this thread. 

23 hours ago, ClearLake said:

Wow!!  That is a spectacular trilobite. Just when I think you must be out of really neat ones, you post this. Are there particular types of trilobites you focus on or do you try to acquire representatives of all families?  I don’t even know how many families of trilobites there are, I’ll have to look that up. I look forward to the next installment, thanks again for posting this thread. 

I like the spiny bugs and much as any other collector does, and try to get them when I can.  But I'll get a Plain Jane bug if I can get it at a modest price and it represents a family I don't otherwise have any representation of.  Of course some bugs are special for reasons other than weird rostrums or crazy spines.  I was happy to get that Ditomopyge artinskiensis because it was the only Permian trilobite I have.

You haven't seen the last of the boring bugs, nor the last of the spectacular ones either.

• Thank You 1

Trilobite of the week #262 is Acastoides zguilmensis of Middle Devonian age from Ziguid, Morocco.  This species, like all Acastid trilobites, had schizochroal eyes, but the lenses are not well preserved on this specimen, only the lenses at the front of the left eye are visible.

Sorry, this is not one of the spectacular trilobites.

left-cropped-small.jpg

front-left-cpr-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

• 2 weeks later...

Trilobite of the week #263 is Geesops schlotheimi of Middle Devonian (Eifelian Stage) age from the Ahrdorf Formation, Flesten Member, at Gees, Eifel Region, Germany.  The only other trilobite I have from this site is the Cyphaspis ceratophthalma (TOW #153).  This is a typically buttoned down and conservative member of the Phacopidae.  This was prepared with modern air abrasive techniques, the striations on the shell were there originally.

This bug is bent over, making it more troublesome to photograph.  The eye lenses are well preserved.

rear-left-cleaned-small.jpg

pygidium-cpy-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Trilobite of the week #264 is Hypagnostus parvifrons of Middle Cambrian age from the Marjum Formation at Millard County, Utah.

I know that when you're bored with another member of the Phacopidae you like the thread to be spiced up with an agnostid.

• Enjoyed 3

I appreciate your subject with all these trilobites. Could you indicate the size of your specimens? That would give us a more real idea of your trilobites. I suppose the trilobites are very small.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

The Hypagnostus parvifrons is about 5 mm long.  Agnostid trilobites generally span the range from small to tiny.  OTOH, the Drotops armatus is just under 14 cm long.  Drotops trilobites tend to be big.

Edited by rew
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Trilobite of the week #265 is Schizostylus brevicaudatus of Devonian age from the Belen Formation at Calamarca (La Pas), Bolivian Altiplano.  This has schizochroal eyes, but there are only a couple of lenses in each column.

This is another member of the Calmoniidae, and like other Bolivian trilobites, is found in a concretion.

As for the size, it's 3.7 cm long.

left-cropped-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 6

Trilobite of the week #266 is Olenellus fowleri of Early Cambrian age and from the Pioche Shale at Ruin Wash, Chief Range, Nevada.  I have four species of Olenellus and this is the last of them to show you.  The size is about 3.5 cm long.

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 5

Trilobite of the week #267 is Phaetonellus planicauda of Middle Devonian age from Jbel Issoumour, Alnif, Morocco.  This is an interesting proetid with small axial spines.  This specimen also has very well preserved lenses in the holochroal eyes, something you don't see very often in proetids.

Proetids were the late bloomers of the trilobites.  I've never seen a Cambrian proetid, Ordovician proetids are often pretty scarce, the order was ubiquitous in the Devonian, and they're the only trilobites that survived into the Carboniferous and Permian.

front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

back-cropped-cleaned-small.jpg

left-cropped-cleaned-small.jpg

left-eye-cropped-small.jpg

right-eye-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Trilobite of the week #268 is Megistaspis hammondi of Early Ordovician (Late Tremadocian) age, from the Fezouata Formation at Zagora Area, Morocco.

This is a large trilobite, 27.5 cm long, about the same length as the Dikelokephalina brenchleyi, but that includes the long tail spine.  The body is about 20 cm long.  What makes this a special specimen are the well preserved antennas, the best trilobite antennas I've seen if only because they are the biggest.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

antennae-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Trilobite of the week #269 is Chlustinia keyserlingi of Early Ordovician age from Tazzarine, Morocco.  This is an Ondopleurid.

front-cpy-small.jpg

back-cpy-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Trilobite of the week #270 is Liobole raclaviensis of Mississippian ((Tournaisian stage) age from Lower Silesia, Poland.  This humble member of the Phillipsiidae is a result of a simple split of the rock.  It could probably be improved with a bit of preparation.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

18 hours ago, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #270 is Liobole raclaviensis of Mississippian ((Tournaisian stage) age from Lower Silesia, Poland.  

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

This species has been misspelled over the years in some of the literature as 'raclavicensis'.

The correct spelling is raclawicensis named for a slope on the Racławka River near Kraków.

image.thumb.png.cee705f8ebf8f2d91ed201fc8d23375f.png

Jarosz, J. 1909.
Fauna Wapienia Węglowego w Okręgu Krakowskim. Część I. Trilobity.
[Fossil of Carboniferous Limestone in the Kraków Region. Part I. Trilobites.]
Rozprawy Wydziału Matematyczno-Przyrodniczy Akademii Umiejętności, Serya 3, 9:185-214

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

43 minutes ago, piranha said:

This species has been misspelled over the years in some of the literature as 'raclavicensis'.

The correct spelling is racławicensis named for a slope on the Racławka River near Kraków.

image.thumb.png.cee705f8ebf8f2d91ed201fc8d23375f.png

Jarosz, J. 1909.
Fauna Wapienia Węglowego w Okręgu Krakowskim. Część I. Trilobity.
[Fossil of Carboniferous Limestone in the Kraków Region. Part I. Trilobites.]
Rozprawy Wydziału Matematyczno-Przyrodniczy Akademii Umiejętności, Serya 3, 9:185-214

The ICZN code requires that the name be in Latin letters; ł needs to be rendered into a Latin letter. I am going to assume that an l is used instead.

E7AD303B-7A97-4812-84C5-F296EC5E76BB.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.