My trilobite of the week.

rew

Trilobite of the week #307 is a bonus trilobite.

You've already seen my American Ceratonurus, C is for a Ceratonurus sp. of Devonian age from Erfoud, Morocco.  It is prepared free standing with even the little cross spines on the down spines freed from the matrix.  For much of the time I was planning the alphabet series this was going to be the main C trilobite.  In a couple of days you'll see what knocked it off its perch.

dorsal-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

Hi,

What a preparation job !

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Beautiful.:trilo::b_love1:

But  I doubt very much it was actually found in Erfoud.

This type of prepping takes a huge amount of time and is pretty much exclusively carried out in Erfoud, the main prepping centre in Morocco. 

But the fossils are sent there from all over the south of the country and then often sold as being from Erfoud. 

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

One of the more likely places Ceratonurus occurs is in the Ihander Fm in Jbel Oufatene. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Danielb said:

Amazing preparation on that piece. Must be hard to store without breaking the spines.

As with other most other spiny bugs, I keep it in the plastic tub it was shipped in.  Of course, I'm always worried I'll break something while doing the photography.  That one survived and is safely in its tub.  The preparation is over the top, it's like the preparator was showing off.

Edited by rew
  • Thank You 1

Trilobite #308 is a main trilobite.

C is for Cybelella coronata of Late Ordovician age from the Kukruze Level of the Alexeevka quarry in the St. Petersburg region of Russia.  This is arguably the most spectacular of the Encrinuridae.

There is a different species in the genus called Cybelella rex, so that's the king, but this one has the crown.  When I got this it one one of four complete specimens that had been found.  So this is an uncommon trilobite.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

front-cleaned-small.jpg

front-left-cpy-small.jpg

back-cropped-small.jpg

rear-right-cpy-small.jpg

right-cpy-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 6

What a job of clearing !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

This week is brought to you by the letter D.  There will be two bonus trilobites.  The three trilobites are from three different orders and three different periods, but all the bugs this week will be American.

Trilobite #309 is a bonus trilobite.

D is for Dicranurus elegans, of Early Devonian age, from the Haragan Formation at Black Cat Mountain, Carita, Oklahoma.

right-cpy-small.jpg

front-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

15 hours ago, rew said:

D is for Dicranurus elegans, of Early Devonian age, from the Haragan Formation at Black Cat Mountain, Carita, Oklahoma.

Dicranurus hamatus elegantus Campbell 1977 emo73.gif happy0144.gif

Campbell, K.S.W. 1977

Trilobites of the Haragan, Bois d’Arc and Frisco Formations (Early Devonian), Arbuckle Mountains Region, Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Geological Survey Bulletin, 123:1-227  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

6 hours ago, piranha said:

Dicranurus hamatus elegantus Campbell 1977 emo73.gif happy0144.gif

Campbell, K.S.W. 1977

Trilobites of the Haragan, Bois d’Arc and Frisco Formations (Early Devonian), Arbuckle Mountains Region, Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Geological Survey Bulletin, 123:1-227  PDF LINK

Well, at least it's still a "D" trilobite.  Time to fire up the label maker again.

Trilobite #310 is a bonus trilobite.

D is for Dolichoharpes reticulata of Late Ordovician (Late Ordovician (Sandbian stage) age, from the Platteville Formation at Grant County, Wisconsin.  This genus is arguably the most beautiful of the Harpetidae.

left-cropped-small.jpg

right-cpr-small.jpg

front-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Trilobite #311 is a main trilobite.  In my opinion, every bug this week deserved "main" status, but this is the one that got it.

D is for Dicranopeltis nereus of Middle Silurian (Wenlockian stage) age from the Rochester Shale at Caleb's quarry in Lockport, New York.

This rarer relative of Arctinurus boltoni is probably the most sought after trilobite from Caleb's quarry.  There is a small brachiopod attached to the left side of the thorax.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

I have been having issues reacting to posts so I just have to reply saying those D trilobites are truly spectacular! All of them are amazing and I know your photography helps to show that! So amazing fossils, amazing preparation, and amazing photography!

• Thank You 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I get "There was a problem reacting to that post" every time I try to react to a post.  I guess it's not just me.

Awesome collection. By the looks, you could open up your own little museum. I would happily pay entry. Kidding aside, it must have taken quite some dedication and time to aquire all these bugs. Thanks for sharing it with all of us here.

43 minutes ago, rew said:

I get "There was a problem reacting to that post" every time I try to react to a post.  I guess it's not just me.

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

I have been having issues reacting to posts so I just have to reply saying those D trilobites are truly spectacular! All of them are amazing and I know your photography helps to show that! So amazing fossils, amazing preparation, and amazing photography!

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

56 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I was aware, but knew that you guys have been hit by many people saying the same thing and that you are doing what you can. I figured you didn't need another person telling you about an issue you already know about. ;)

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 hours ago, rew said:

Same here just happened on another thread.

Go to the top in the URL browser line and remove the "s" from https, then hit enter. Fixed it instantly...for me.

• I found this Informative 2

This week is brought to you by the letter E.  There will be two bonus trilobites.  They will all be Moroccan this time.

On 10/18/2023 at 1:25 AM, rew said:

D is for Dolichoharpes reticulata of Late Ordovician

Years ago, I found one just like this. Seeing your find brought back many memories for me. Dolichoharpes reticulata is a beautiful trilobite!!!!!!

7 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Years ago, I found one just like this. Seeing your find brought back many memories for me. Dolichoharpes reticulata is a beautiful trilobite!!!!!!

I bought mine.  It was found by Al Scheer.