My trilobite of the week.

rew

Trilobite of the week #282 is Morocops spinifer of Early Devonian (Emsian Stage) age and from the Khebchia Formation at the Assa Area, Morroco.  This is almost fully enrolled, but it's an interesting bug I didn't want to pass up.  This phacopid is covered with pustules, which extend to short spines on the head, giving it a fuzzy appearance.

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

right-cropped-small.jpg

front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

back-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

So many different varietys of trilobites you have shared, did not know they could have so many of those bumps .  terry

Trilobite of the week #283 is Pradoella tazzarinensis of Early Ordovician age from the Fezouata Formation at Jbel Kissane, Dra Valley. Morocco.  This is the largest species within the Calymenidae I know of.  This specimen is about 15.5 cm long.

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

right-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

1 hour ago, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #283 is Pradoella tazzarinensis of Early Ordovician age from the Fezouata Formation at Jbel Kissane, Dra Valley. Morocco. 

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

This one should be labeled Pradoella sp. Unfortunately, the name Pradoella tazzarinensis  is nomen nudum.

It has not been formally published with a systematic description. It exists only in an unpublished PhD thesis.

Vidal, M. 1996
Biofaciés à Trilobites dans l'Ordovicien de l'Anti-Atlas, Maroc: Paléoenvironnements et Paléobiogéographie.
[Trilobite Biofacies in the Ordovician of the Anti-Atlas, Morocco: Palaeoenvironments and Paleobiogeography.]
Thèse de Doctorat en Sciences de la Terre: Université de Rennes, 142 pp.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

13 minutes ago, piranha said:

This one should be labeled Pradoella sp. Unfortunately, the name Pradoella tazzarinensis  is nomen nudum.

It has not been formally published with a systematic description. It exists only in an unpublished PhD thesis.

Vidal, M. 1996
Biofaciés à Trilobites dans l'Ordovicien de l'Anti-Atlas, Maroc: Paléoenvironnements et Paléobiogéographie.
[Trilobite Biofacies in the Ordovician of the Anti-Atlas, Morocco: Palaeoenvironments and Paleobiogeography.]
Thèse de Doctorat en Sciences de la Terre: Université de Rennes, 142 pp.

Okay, another relabel.

2 hours ago, rew said:

Okay, another relabel.

We happily slog through the never-ending pursuit of the most up-to-date taxonomy...imagine the jumble of names 100 years from now! emo73.gif mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo12.gif&t=1685818996&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c0f-880033017500&sig=TxbTSZLEkmA7xerGF4Ph8w--~D

• Enjoyed 2

3 minutes ago, piranha said:

We happily slog through the never-ending pursuit of the most up-to-date taxonomy...imagine the jumble of names 100 years from now! emo73.gif mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo12.gif&t=1685818996&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c0f-880033017500&sig=TxbTSZLEkmA7xerGF4Ph8w--~D

I suspect in 100 years a systematics AI will sort it out for you and print the labels too.

11 minutes ago, Scylla said:

I suspect in 100 years a systematics AI will sort it out for you and print the labels too.

That would be an absolute disaster. The only way that AI can replace the human practitioner, is if AI is allowed to sort out humanity itself!  dalek smiley

• I Agree 2

55 minutes ago, piranha said:

That would be an absolute disaster. The only way that AI can replace the human practitioner, is if AI is allowed to sort out humanity itself!  dalek smiley

100 years is a loooong time for computers. They can already beat us at chess. They can beat us at Go. They can win in Jeopardy. They can almost drive a car. I'll bet they can count eyes and segments on a trilobite soon. They are not going to replace us, but wouldn't you like it if your image search actually gave you the correct trilobite once in awhile?

13 minutes ago, Scylla said:

They are not going to replace us,

Don't bet on it!

image.thumb.png.e6a06d7790e1f4ba2cadaeeef8dc67c5.png

• Enjoyed 1

I will continue to go to a human for the last word on trilobite classification.

• I Agree 2

Trilobite of the week #284 is Marocconus notabilis (= Cephalopyge notabilis) of late Early Cambrian age from the Wawrmast Formation at Assygene, Morocco.  This is my only trilobite in the family Weymouthiidae in the suborder Eodiscina.  This primitive agnostid had three thoracic segments.  My specimen is an internal mold, I've never seen one of these bugs with real shell.

Note that the head is foreshortened in the dorsal picture, because it is bent into the rock.  (At least I think it's the head.  As with many other agnostids, I have to guess which side is the head and which side is the pygidium.)

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

side-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Trilobite of the week #285 is Fallotaspis hollingsworthi of Early Cambrian (Atdabanian) age from the Waucobean Series, Montezuman Stage, Fallotaspis biozone of the Campito Formation, at the Montezuma Range, Esmeralda County, Nevada.

This is a very early trilobite, although a bit younger than my Archaeaspis macropleuron.  It was still a new idea to be a trilobite when this Redlichid was crawling about.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

13 hours ago, rew said:
Trilobite of the week #285 is Fallotaspis hollingsworthi

Stewart Hollingsworth has published many papers on Cambrian trilobites, however, the specific epithet 'hollingsworthi' does not exist for any trilobite genus.

Lemke, U. 2022
Catalogue of the Available Names and Non Available Names of the Species and Subspecies for the Class Trilobita.
[Katalog der Verfügbaren und Nicht Verfügbaren Namen der Arten und Unterarten der Trilobita.]
Self-Published by Ulrich Lemke, 551 pp.  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 4

36 minutes ago, rew said:

Maybe this bug was named in the last year.

There is not likely any article on trilobites that piranha does not know about it. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

42 minutes ago, rew said:

Maybe this bug was named in the last year.

There is only a single Google result for this fictitious name. Just by coincidence...listed on your website.

I'll see if I can figure out where that name came from.  I won't be surprised if its from an unpublished thesis or something like that..

I have found that Fallotapsis hollingsworthi is in a paper not yet submitted for publication.  So while that may become a valid name it isn't one at present.

21 minutes ago, rew said:

I have found that Fallotapsis hollingsworthi is in a paper not yet submitted for publication.  So while that may become a valid name it isn't one at present.

Taxonomy experts: does mentioning unpublished and unofficial taxonomy names invalidate them for future use? If so, maybe we should hide them in this thread. Or, we could fuzz it up a bit by saying it is a proposed specific name of a trilobite named in honor of Stewart Hollingsworth.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The mistake was not made by the authors of the paper.  I don't think they deliberately released the name.

Trilobite of the week #286 is Acadoparadoxides briareus (?) of Middle Cambrian age from Toughach, Tinjdad, Morocco.  The question mark is there because Morocco has several very similar species of Acadoparadoxides and this is my best guess as to the species.  This is decent sized specimen (20 cm) with no restoration.  Some years ago it wasn't hard to get foot long Acadoparadoxides bugs from Morocco, they seem to have been quarried out.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Trilobite of the week #287 is Isoteloides flexus of Early Ordovician (Blackhillian stage) age from the Fillmore Formation at the Southern House Range in Utah.   This is another member of the large Asaphidae family.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Trilobite of the week #288 is Walliserops tridens of Middle Devonian age from Ziguid, Morocco.  There are several species of short forked Walliserops and W. tridens is just my best guess of which one this is.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

right-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

3 hours ago, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #288 is Walliserops tridens of Middle Devonian age from Ziguid, Morocco. 

There are several species of short forked Walliserops and W. tridens is just my best guess of which one this is.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

Walliserops tridens has sub-parallel tines less curved and with more of an anterior direction of the three tines.

Your specimen is Walliserops lindoei  with wider outer tines than the median tine and curved inward anteriorly.

image.thumb.png.e1329df6beb9b01415942879e7b365ea.png

Chatterton, B.D.E., Fortey, R.A., Brett, K.D., Gibb, S.L., McKellar, R.C. 2006
Trilobites from the Upper Lower to Middle Devonian Timrhanrhart Formation, Jbel Gara et Zguilma, Southern Morocco.
Palaeontographica Canadiana, 25:1-177  PDF LINK

Chatterton, B.D.E., Gibb, S. 2010

Latest Early to Early Middle Devonian Trilobites from the Erbenochile Bed, Jbel Issoumour, Southeastern Morocco.

Journal of Paleontology, 84(6):1188-1205