“show us your handmade display stands”

Bobby Rico

12 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Nice display!

Thank you! I like using Plexiglass because is almost invisible

1 hour ago, Kiros said:

handmade stand I created for the Oreodont skull I prepared some times ago. It's made of plexiglass, no glues where used. Each piece combine with each other. 

That looks brilliant and thanks for adding it to my thread. Nice skull too,

Edited by Bobby Rico

9 minutes ago, howard_l said:

Here is some of the display stands that I have made for some of my Mississippian age nautiloids 

Really nice display it all look beautiful together the wood stands, modals and fossils .  Thanks Bobby 

On 6/5/2020 at 12:39, Bobby Rico said:

Hoy hice el stand de una mandíbula de ciervo que tengo. El soporte para diorama o standarama está hecho con una base de madera, alambre para perchero y un poco de material de modelado. Pero debido al bloqueo no puedo obtener figuras de ciervos más minuciosas, pero agregué algunos flamencos que tenía en existencia solo para un lugar divertido. 

Doren me dio la mandíbula de ciervo. Más tarde me envió un mensaje al respecto y pensé que lo incluiría aquí porque simplemente muestra lo generoso que fue.

”Solo para informarles, la mandíbula de venado era de uno de nuestros miembros fallecidos que falleció el año pasado, Dominic Cioffi (FossilClaw). 

Se lo compré poco antes de que muriera, por lo que puede considerarse una pieza heredada ".

Es muy triste que Doren y Dom hayan fallecido, pero la Sra. R dijo que tengo que disfrutar de los fósiles que Doren me dio porque eso es lo que él realmente quería. También a Dom le gustaba hacer sus propias gradas. Si miras este hilo verás algunos stands que tanto Doren como Dom han hecho.

Gracias a todos por leer.

Mantente sano y salvo, Bobby

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It is always very sad to learn of the death of one of the members of a community. Although I did not meet or interact with them, it is clear that they were people who were very dedicated to their love for fossils and prehistoric life. I am that now he will be resting in peace knowing that his pieces will be in good hands, and that support he made reflects it perfectly, he is very sure.

1 hour ago, Josesaurus rex said:

It is always very sad to learn of the death of one of the members of a community. Although I did not meet or interact with them, it is clear that they were people who were very dedicated to their love for fossils and prehistoric life. I am that now he will be resting in peace knowing that his pieces will be in good hands, and that support he made reflects it perfectly, he is very sure.

Thank you very much,kind . Kind of you to say .The Deer jaw is a treasure indeed .  :thumbsu:

cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Thank You 1

In one of the supermarkets where I am going to work I saw this support that caught my attention. It is made of wood, and you can see that by the design it has, you could place some plates of fossil fish, or bones, and who knows what else. They did not sell it, because they had already bought it haha, but I hope it will inspire anyone who wants to do something similar. Later I will show you my brackets for megalodon teeth that I made a few months ago, I must take pictures of them first.

IMG_20210820_131038.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

56 minutes ago, vietnamfossil said:

This is my Oreodont display stand. The first one I have made. 

161924354_270043351325370_935912969652532624_n.png

162016981_838585476695260_3666785421697033233_n.jpg

162347768_829421707613820_1299468405185803652_n.jpg

162538844_297918351751601_499655378988272420_n.jpg

Nice! 

Not really display stands but a great way to hang small fish and other things.   2 part epoxy with quality and expensive pad hooks but super happy with them.  The two little fish on the left has the pad hooks and you can easily see the copper wire on the fish on the right.  Big difference. 

RB

P6120037.JPG

P6130043.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Not really display stands but a great way to hang small fish and other things.

What a clever idea, simply done. Cheers Bobby 

• Thank You 1

• 4 months later...

I have shown this before but it is so cheep and very effective way of  mounting fossil on the wall. All is needed to bend them to fit your specimens.

03C6681E-D9C8-4F3A-81F0-F85ABCC31134.jpeg

B79D6DDB-DF51-4A84-A7F4-FDBBA6C4D1A9.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 3

This is my first post here.  I am nearly 40 and was always interested in rocks/minerals as a kid, but after a trip down the lake with my family last summer we came across a lot of ammonite, my daughter (10) is really showing a lot of interest in fossil hunting and we may do trips down the lake to hunt for more. To relate to this thread, my wife had a piece that she found and we kept standing up in the house.  I thought a neat Christmas present would be to make a display stand for it.  So I modeled a simple 3d pocketed stand that allows the fossil to stand in and is lit from the underside with a set of RGB LED's.  It can cycle through colors, strobe etc...but we typically just leave it red.

The rock is raw and untouched as I don't have any skill with fossil preparation skills. However my daughter and I will be reading through the forum and picking up information on how to do so. I already have a blasting cabinet and even a CP pneumatic scribe along with various other equipment that would lend itself well to an amateur set of fossil hunters.

269980966_10159830891860350_5375664994839282772_n.jpg

270063959_10159830892060350_3805585035945646924_n.jpg

270044519_10159830892200350_7529075736571330501_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

5 minutes ago, Conrad_Turbo said:

I thought a neat Christmas present would be to make a display stand for it. 

Very cool stand and a thoughtful Christmas present. Thanks for adding this to my thread, definitely something different and love the lighting. The TFF is a kind place where you can get IDs for fossils , great advice on prepping and much more.

stay safe and sound Bobby 

• 2 months later...

Morning 

Yesterday we went though our loft looking for vintage or just nice goods that we could donate to our village sale that is raising money for the refugees of the Ukraine. We found  a box of glass-were from the 1950s that was my mum’s . I could not give them away before but it felt right now.

I did also find a mirror on a stone stand including a porcelain dancing figure. The mirror was MrsR’s she did not want it anymore . I thought is was constructed as a home project and quite cool . I am going to keep it as it as it makes a great fossil display stand but sadly the porcelain dancer is no more. I think it adds a vintage curiosity cabinet  look to my display ,

cheers Bobby 

C08BC9C7-71D2-49EF-8C3E-D612427DE5FE.jpeg

8FC84E72-9DAC-4217-9084-CB65E17F22A4.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think it worked out nicely 

I think so too Bobby! Looks good. :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I agree, that looks really nice. What a great piece too! That is a bunch of ammonites. 

• Thank You 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2022 at 9:14 AM, Sjfriend said:

I agree, that looks really nice. What a great piece too! That is a bunch of ammonites. 

Sorry I missed this. Thank you, it is a pretty fine piece. I am glad I kept the stone base and mirror. 
cheers Bobby 

On 1/30/2019 at 12:19 AM, Bobby Rico said:

I think that’s a fantastic fun idea and I have a fish that will probably fits in a sardine tin, As it is your idea I will make one if you do. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Hi Bobby,

I tend to save various tins and other containers too.  My collection has used a number of odd little boxes over the years.  I was just at a flea market last Saturday.  It was back for the first time since February of 2020.  One seller wanted something like $30 for a small tin that would've been maybe $5 just before COVID.

Jess

• 4 months later...

Here a very simple handmade stand I created for my Hoplophoneus mandible. Without teeth it's difficult to imagine what it is. So I printed the drawing a complete mandible and attached it behind for reference. The fossil is kept in position by some very thin fishing line

IMG_20220911_143833.jpg

IMG_20220911_143824.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

7 hours ago, Kiros said:

So I printed the drawing a complete mandible and attached it behind for reference. The fossil is kept in position by some very thin fishing line

IMG_20220911_143833.jpg

IMG_20220911_143824.jpg

That's a great way to display an incomplete specimen.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 3

I have to show the homemade display of my 11-year-old daughter. Maybe not the most spectacular display ever made, but still thought it was inventive of my little girl :b_idea:. She came up with her own idea, and made it. That makes daddies proud. Made of plastic pipe clamps glued to a piece of wood. Add labels and you're done :default_clap2:.

20220914_012554.jpg

Edited by Mart1980
  • Enjoyed 4