The river gave the goods

garyc

Thanks everyone for the heart felt congrats! I remembered yesterday that Richard White in Arizona was actually doing research on capybara. I’ve sent him pics and he will let me know what species I have after comparing to his notes and literature. I’m also considering a trip to let him see it in person!

btw, how does one carry a skull onto a plane???

• I found this Informative 1

I just saw this now, Gary!  What an awesome find!  Congratulations. It would be great if there is more of it nearby. It must have felt terrific to see it and those molars intact...wow.

Julianna

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

53 minutes ago, old bones said:

I just saw this now, Gary!  What an awesome find!  Congratulations. It would be great if there is more of it nearby. It must have felt terrific to see it and those molars intact...wow.

Julianna

It was a little surreal. I had to sort of convince myself I was looking at the real deal and not some pseudofossil 

2 hours ago, garyc said:

btw, how does one carry a skull onto a plane???

Find a nice padded container for it but one that can be opened easily for inspection. I have plenty of experience taking things through TSA's x-ray machines that are to dense to show up as anything other than a blot. They tend to like to do the chemical testing swab thing to make sure it is not explosive (in anything other than scientific relevance). ;) Explain to the security folk that it is an fossil that you are taking somewhere so that scientists can get a look at it. Usually satisfies any lingering curiosity. Just don't trust it to a checked-in bag--that would be a mistake.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1