Stained glass with ammonites.

ntrusc

7 minutes ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I had fallen a bit behind on this topic and just got caught up on the last couple pages. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks very much, I enjoy messing around with these :0)

A fossil chessboard I just made, I had made one previously with resin but didn’t like the finish so this one has a toughened glass surface set into the oak border,

Thanks for looking,

Regards

Neil.

4E5E7712-8685-4E31-81E2-60BE61A9B536.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

22 hours ago, ntrusc said:

Hi all, another clock I made in stained glass, 

thanks for looking,

Regards

Neil.

E34019ED-4A80-4D30-AD79-E0282EB2C785.jpeg

Sorry, what's the time? Ammonite o' clock, that's what!

Absolute gorgeous artistry here, Neil, this is incredibly impressive. Nice to see our beautiful UK material being put to use, eh? And, as a chess player, fully hats off to you on the chessboard, absolutely glorious, what I'd pay for that... :drool:

And as it goes for the pieces, as you said, I think belemnites would be a good fit. Incredibly common over here, and, thus, wouldn't be bad carving them! 

Also, I only just found this thread, and I think I'm in love - thanks for sharing! :BigSmile:

• Enjoyed 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Oh, almost forgot. Do you wanna know something funny? Just the other day, I was talking to someone (in real life - I know, I actually take some time off this forum, surprising!), and I was thinking of maybe in the future starting up some form of company to make stuff like this, with Ammonites in glass or resin tables, etc... Fossiliferous furniture, I think I thought the name would be! Fanciful dreams aside, I think yours trumps what I had in mind :tiphat::ammo3:

• Enjoyed 1

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Wow! These are amazing! You could carve something into dinosaurs to use as chess pieces... although chess is a very dignified game and I'm not sure if dinosaurs are classified as 'highbrow culture'.:BigSmile:

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

44 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Sorry, what's the time? Ammonite o' clock, that's what!

Absolute gorgeous artistry here, Neil, this is incredibly impressive. Nice to see our beautiful UK material being put to use, eh? And, as a chess player, fully hats off to you on the chessboard, absolutely glorious, what I'd pay for that... :drool:

And as it goes for the pieces, as you said, I think belemnites would be a good fit. Incredibly common over here, and, thus, wouldn't be bad carving them! 

Also, I only just found this thread, and I think I'm in love - thanks for sharing! :BigSmile:

Thanks very much, the ones in the clock are Madagascan ones but I do try and use uk ones whenever I can, I’ve been playing chess for a few months, getting better but still too many blunders!,

I will have a go at making some pieces at some point.

Regards

neil.

21 minutes ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Wow! These are amazing! You could carve something into dinosaurs to use as chess pieces... although chess is a very dignified game and I'm not sure if dinosaurs are classified as 'highbrow culture'.:BigSmile:

Thanks very much, dinosaur pieces sounds a good idea

thanks

Neil.

4 minutes ago, ntrusc said:

Thanks very much, the ones in the clock are Madagascan ones but I do try and use uk ones whenever I can, I’ve been playing chess for a few months, getting better but still too many blunders!,

I will have a go at making some pieces at some point.

Regards

neil.

Ah, very nice! Make sure to tag me with the pieces, although, I am already following this thread! ;)

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

A pair of bookends made with a septarian nodule I found in lincolnshire, also a random picture of my new puppy playing chess on the board I made.

Thanks for looking

Regards

Neil.

13CFE9F1-FFA7-4A05-B8B4-BBCA3E348FAF.jpeg

D76E510B-1CE2-489D-B56A-E32507143AB2.jpeg

AA224386-0B15-4CD7-A183-09C3C36126ED.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

I love the glasswork with the ammonite inlays. Simply stunning! :o

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Chess is one of my loves in life! So your creation is very appealing to me. Great job.  Can you going to tell us your "trade secret" on how you mastered this project? 

Mike

2 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Thanks very much, I enjoy making them.

regards

neil.

58 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Chess is one of my loves in life! So your creation is very appealing to me. Great job.  Can you going to tell us your "trade secret" on how you mastered this project? 

Mike

Thanks I’m not sure there is a secret, just kept trying different methods till I could work it out, the mitres and grooves on the wood border I find tricky to get right.

regards

Neil.

On 4/16/2021 at 6:35 PM, ntrusc said:

A pair of bookends made with a septarian nodule I found in lincolnshire, also a random picture of my new puppy playing chess on the board I made.

Thanks for looking

Regards

Neil.

13CFE9F1-FFA7-4A05-B8B4-BBCA3E348FAF.jpeg

D76E510B-1CE2-489D-B56A-E32507143AB2.jpeg

AA224386-0B15-4CD7-A183-09C3C36126ED.jpeg

That's a sweet pupper, what's their name? :wub:

26 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

That's a sweet pupper, what's their name? :wub:

Molly, she’s a pain at the minute.

• Enjoyed 1

2 minutes ago, ntrusc said:

Molly, she’s a pain at the minute.

Ah, they always are to begin with! I promise it'll get better, they're an absolute pleasure to see grow up! :wub:

Hi Neil..........Chess board looks great and the septarian nodules make good bookends.

Molly is very cute handful :) .

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

2 minutes ago, t-tree said:

Hi Neil..........Chess board looks great and the septarian nodules make good bookends.

Molly is very cute handful :) .

John

Thanks john

Neil.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:53 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Thanks very much.

Neil.

A panel I made in stained glass with translucent ammonites inset. (copper foil overlay for the tentacles).

Thanks for looking,

Regards

Neil.

927318A7-5977-4D7B-BACF-7EEB773954FE.jpeg

Been quite awhile since ive checked out your thread.  You are one creative dude.  Nice pieces!

RB

13 minutes ago, RJB said:

Been quite awhile since ive checked out your thread.  You are one creative dude.  Nice pieces!

RB

Thanks RB :0)

Regards

Neil.