Show Your Amber, Copal And Coal Collection!

Iskandar

Those are neat! Ive recently learned to pay more attention to the coal which falls from the formation Ive started collecting from.

The Grand Rapids in north central Alberta has a lot of petrified wood and I believe that this is a truly unique piece because it still contains a large amount of amber..or is this amber at all?

post-3345-12750650516551_thumb.jpg

pet 2.bmp

pet 3.bmp

Athabasca River, Grand Rapids the site of some of the worlds largest concretions and home to many fossils and petrified wood specimans. A very unique and remote location in north central Alberta. I can get you there! please visit our web page for more info. Thank You Darcy Zelman http://www.athabasca-river.com

Hi Iskandar, Well, I'm not entirely sure why I still have these but here are a few chunks of "hard coal", also known as Anthracite from Shamokin, Pennsylvania,USA.

My grandparents lived on the side of a large hill full of coal mine tailings and they used to have coal furnace for the house. Unfortunately, I dont recall the name of the particular mine it was extracted from, but it is Carboniferous "Pennsylvanian" in age. It is very hard and is made up of about 75-80% carbon. You do not see any remains of plants. You do see a very shiny black luster and some conchoidal fracture patterns.

post-1240-12751623229256_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris