Official Fotm Oct

Phoenixflood

Hi everyone :)

You will have till the 7th of November to choose your best find from October. I encourage everyone partipating to include the name of your find, the date it was discovered, and perhaps a narrative about your discovery This will help us greatly in choosing fossils for the poll that will come after the 7th of November. We will only include what you provide.

You may only post ONE fossil per person. If you post more than one we will not consider either. It must have been found in OCTOBER for it to be eligable!

With that said let's see some great entries :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Hi everyone :)

You will have till the 7th of November to choose your best find from October. I encourage everyone partipating to include the name of your find, the date it was discovered, and perhaps a narrative about your discovery This will help us greatly in choosing fossils for the poll that will come after the 7th of November. We will only include what you provide.

You may only post ONE fossil per person. If you post more than one we will not consider either. It must have been found in OCTOBER for it to be eligable!

With that said let's see some great entries :D

I got some kick-butt stuff from a trade with a pal in Finland, but obviously not found, so no submission. But I'm still stoked!!!

this contest irritates the snarge out of me because i have no idea what i did yesterday even, so it's completely unreasonable to expect me to keep track of what i've done for a whole month and then post the best thing. i'm lucky to even remember what dimension i found stuff in. but i'm pretty sure it wasn't finland.

OK kids here's my first October submission, found the night of 10/3 in the Georgetown Formation of Texas (roughly 102 MYA). 2 things stand out about this specimen: It's so rare that I'm not even sure what genus it is, much less species; I'll tentatively call it Phyllacanthus sp. Its the only one I've ever found or seen anywhere, ever. But the real kicker is that I found it at night in the beam of my flashlight!!! Got some other goodies too including a Macraster, 4 Holaster simplex echinoids, and honkin' big fat 12-14 inch Big Bertha of a Mortoniceras that I couldn't extricate from the exposure that night, but Johnny has since magnanimously saved from the elements for me. So if tomfoolery afield weighs heavily in this contest, vote for this specimen.

post-22-12550403686025_thumb.jpg

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

this contest irritates the snarge out of me because i have no idea what i did yesterday even, so it's completely unreasonable to expect me to keep track of what i've done for a whole month and then post the best thing. i'm lucky to even remember what dimension i found stuff in. but i'm pretty sure it wasn't finland.

haha, well, maybe we'll create a Oct FOTM pratice thread :D

post-1313-12554685211742_thumb.jpg

Found this at my favorite collecting spot here in East NC while collecting in a light rain. Stood out nicely in the orange soil. It measures a little over an inch. I beleave this is a partial Eutrephoceras carolinenis.

Be true to the reality you create.

Transferd while I think on....

Its not very often I will find and prepare a fossil within the same month to enter it into the contest.... so I better post this as my October entry incase I dont find out else lol.... It prepped itself .....

Found on the 11th of October in quite a large nodule and it links the water with the land.... the scale of a very large predatory fish that flourished in the rivers during the upper carboniferous times that could grow upto 6 metres in length and a fragment of a tree fern that had washed or blown into the river during a storm....which finally come to settle slightly overlapping the fish scale in the sediments... the association is in such close proximity they actually fossilised together within the same nodule.... 300 million years later I hit it with a hammer and it 'popped open' to reveal my prize... so I only had to wash the mud off the outside....

Rhizodont Scale & Lavienopteris frond tip... Upper carboniferous Westphalian A, Lancashire Coalfield.....

post-1630-12555084923004_thumb.jpg post-1630-12555085246562_thumb.jpg post-1630-1255508591853_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

J'ai trouver aujourd'hui 16 octobre,

Notorhynchus primigenius (Agassiz, 1843) dans la matrice

est les dents rares en provenance de France

La chance assez pour moi je, l'ai trouver après 5 minutes:)

post-341-12557209806695_thumb.jpg

J'ai trouver aujourd'hui 16 octobre,

Notorhynchus primigenius (Agassiz, 1843) dans la matrice

est les dents rares en provenance de France

La chance assez pour moi je, l'ai trouver après 5 minutes:)

post-341-12557209806695_thumb.jpg

For those that do not speak french heres a rough translation

I find today October 16,

Notorhynchus primigenius (Agassiz, 1843) in the matrix

teeth is rare from France

Lucky enough to I, have found after 5 minutes:) très félicitations dent Nice

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

While I do like Dan's echinoid, here's my submission. Found last Monday, Oct 12th (Canadian Thanksgiving)

Nanillaenus conradi trilobite found at my local quarry. Unusual in that the level it was found in hasn't been worked in years. This little guy has either been sitting there all along waitng to be seen, or had very recently eroded out of the wall. I'd have to vote for the latter because it was too easy to see, and there are several other collectors who frequent this quarry. Also unusual is that it is in the prone position, most complete bugs from here are enrolled. Finally, this is far from a common species at this location. Based on my experience, I've found 4 other species, often as partials, with much more frequency. So here it is for your consideration in the same condition I found it -no prepping, not even a rinse.

post-77-12557964415494_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Transferd while I think on....

Its not very often I will find and prepare a fossil within the same month to enter it into the contest.... so I better post this as my October entry incase I dont find out else lol.... It prepped itself .....

Found on the 11th of October in quite a large nodule and it links the water with the land.... the scale of a very large predatory fish that flourished in the rivers during the upper carboniferous times that could grow upto 6 metres in length and a fragment of a tree fern that had washed or blown into the river during a storm....which finally come to settle slightly overlapping the fish scale in the sediments... the association is in such close proximity they actually fossilised together within the same nodule.... 300 million years later I hit it with a hammer and it 'popped open' to reveal my prize... so I only had to wash the mud off the outside....

Rhizodont Scale & Lavienopteris frond tip... Upper carboniferous Westphalian A, Lancashire Coalfield.....

post-1630-12555084923004_thumb.jpg post-1630-12555085246562_thumb.jpg post-1630-1255508591853_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's not too common! :thumbsu:

it was a beautiful october day. yesterday to be exact. as captain tracer and i were visiting a favorite pleistocene location of ours, we noticed a big hunka weirdness laying amongst the other rocks. "what the heck is that?" asked i, the magnificent tracer jr. "i'm not sure, but it'll probably end up in your room," replied captain tracer. after inspecting the object for a good ten minutes and throughout the rest of the day, the tracer crew could not seem to come to a conclusion as to what the object was. after thinking and thinking, the only thing that made sense was a monster sloth tooth. upon our arrival at the house, we posted pictures of the sloth toothy object. nate said it was a giant sloth tooth. giant sloth teeth are quite rare in texas. this tooth is pretty much on a level with the coolest things i've found.

found october 17 in the pleistocene of texas

Eremotherium sp.

giant ground sloth

approximately 5.5 inches x 2 inches x 1.5 inches

post-936-12559031286826_thumb.jpg

bottom

post-936-12559032301199_thumb.jpg

post-936-12559032683524_thumb.jpg

side

tj

Edited by Tracer Jr.

captain tracer ??? Thought he insisted on general tracer

Cool find tj so is it in your room

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

captain tracer ??? Thought he insisted on general tracer

Cool find tj so is it in your room

captain tracer, general tracer, king of the world tracer, it's all the same thing. you just gotta put something in front of "tracer" so he doesn't get mad. just kidding. and of course it's in my room :)

Edited by Tracer Jr.

WOW, nice sloth tooth. I did not know they

were close to that large..

Btw, wanna borrow your expression sometime, 'a big hunka weirdness'..

Love that one...:D

Welcome to the forum!

TJ! That's a handful of coolishness!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

TJ! That's a handful of coolishness!

Very cool! :) you rock :) :rock:

thanks everyone. even though its cracked i think it's quite rare for texas and it's definitely one of our most exciting finds.

Wow! Killer monster sloth tooth. In my 6 years of hard core Pleistoceneing I've only picked up 2 sloth teeth, one being a smaller Eremotherium tooth than yours so affirmative, these things are quite rare. Hats off to you and Master Chief Tracer.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

thanks everyone. even though its cracked i think it's quite rare for texas and it's definitely one of our most exciting finds.

I think those are quite rare no matter where you live. Well done!

Nick

OK kids here's my first October submission, found the night of 10/3 in the Georgetown Formation of Texas (roughly 102 MYA). 2 things stand out about this specimen: It's so rare that I'm not even sure what genus it is, much less species; I'll tentatively call it Phyllacanthus sp. Its the only one I've ever found or seen anywhere, ever. But the real kicker is that I found it at night in the beam of my flashlight!!! Got some other goodies too including a Macraster, 4 Holaster simplex echinoids, and honkin' big fat 12-14 inch Big Bertha of a Mortoniceras that I couldn't extricate from the exposure that night, but Johnny has since magnanimously saved from the elements for me. So if tomfoolery afield weighs heavily in this contest, vote for this specimen.

Looks like a Cidaris member.