Official Fotm Oct

Phoenixflood

Now I know the rules state one fossil per month, BUT my son found this one :P I think it is the coolest piece I have seen in a while.

Fossil pearl

post-221-12564304242657_thumb.jpg

post-221-12564304394836_thumb.jpg

post-221-12564304529735_thumb.jpg

Hello all! Here's my entry. Its probably my best find yet! A mammoth milk tooth. From Sarasota County,FL

post-148-12564822046559_thumb.jpg post-148-12564822098105_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Dan

This is my entry Tapir jaw. B)B)B):)

WOW! I just watched 2001: a Space Odyssey and I wonder if it came from one of those guys? :P

Hello all! Here's my entry. Its probably my best find yet! A mammoth milk tooth. From Sarasota County,FL

post-148-12564822046559_thumb.jpg post-148-12564822098105_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Dan

This is a very rare and extraordinary find. In Florida, mammoth teeth are at least 10x rarer than mastodon teeth, and juveniles like this one, well I can count on one hand the number of quality examples that I've seen.

Was hunting a creek in Eastern NC. I had pulled out a large piece of Petrified wood found on Thursday of last week with the help of Monkeyfuss and a long tow strap. It was a nice warm day around 1130 on Saturday when we got the first piece of wood in the back of my truck and I decided to go back into the creek. I was not having too much luck finding anything else so I decided to to call it quits around 2pm. As I was heading back up stream I was in about 3 feet of water, there was a lot of algea growth and the water was very murky. I tripped over a log! Fussed alittle bit and started to continue a couple of steps then thought for a second and took my probe and poked the log. To my surprise it was solid and had that glass ting to it. I reached down and lifted one end and almost had a coronary. I pulled this "log" up to a sand bar and stood there trying to figure out how I was going to get this monster back up stream to my truck which was about 400 meters. I went back to my truck a retrieved a strap, went back to the log and pulled it in the water back up to the bridge. I stood there at the bridge for a couple of minutes trying to decide if the hernias I was about to suffer would be worth trying to carry it up the path to my truck. The path had a lot of rocks on it so I did not want to risk dragging it. I estimated the weight around 150 lbs. Finally I did manage to carried it up the 40 foot path to my truck with out injury and got this thing home.

post-1344-12566579706773_thumb.jpg

Rsmull, that's no stick in the mud...contemplating the logistics of a heavy find is a good problem to have...kudos to your effort.

Edited by JohnJ

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Was hunting a creek in Eastern NC. I had pulled out a large piece of Petrified wood found on Thursday of last week with the help of Monkeyfuss and a long tow strap. It was a nice warm day around 1130 on Saturday when we got the first piece of wood in the back of my truck and I decided to go back into the creek. I was not having too much luck finding anything else so I decided to to call it quits around 2pm. As I was heading back up stream I was in about 3 feet of water, there was a lot of algea growth and the water was very murky. I tripped over a log! Fussed alittle bit and started to continue a couple of steps then thought for a second and took my probe and poked the log. To my surprise it was solid and had that glass ting to it. I reached down and lifted one end and almost had a coronary. I pulled this "log" up to a sand bar and stood there trying to figure out how I was going to get this monster back up stream to my truck which was about 400 meters. I went back to my truck a retrieved a strap, went back to the log and pulled it in the water back up to the bridge. I stood there at the bridge for a couple of minutes trying to decide if the hernias I was about to suffer would be worth trying to carry it up the path to my truck. The path had a lot of rocks on it so I did not want to risk dragging it. I estimated the weight around 150 lbs. Finally I did manage to carried it up the 40 foot path to my truck with out injury and got this thing home.

That's a nice piece of pet wood. :wub:

OK, this will be my offical entry. I have found some god stuff this month, and it was hard to choose, but I think I have made my mind up.

I found these yesterday, Oct 28, 2009 Dallas County, Tx

Eagle Ford Group.

Dallasaurus 6 associated Verts.

(could be)Im still waiting final word from the pros at SMU next week!

These little babies washed out and I found them in mud. I will be returning to find the rest of this little guy!

Enjoy

post-221-12568604647088_thumb.jpg

post-221-12568604916789_thumb.jpg

post-221-12568605445011_thumb.jpg

post-221-12568605767969_thumb.jpg

post-221-12568605980223_thumb.jpg

Edited by jax

My entry for fossil of the month for Oct a hadrosaur jaw section found in Lumberton North Carolina thats right North Carolina Auspex this is for you. This has to be one of my rarest fossil, Dinos on the east coast. Thanks for all the help with the Id's

post-1253-12572143612017_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12572143713646_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12572143788338_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12572143868343_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12572143948435_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12572144150974_thumb.jpg

Guest Smilodon

My entry for fossil of the month for Oct a hadrosaur jaw section found in Lumberton North Carolina thats right North Carolina Auspex this is for you. This has to be one of my rarest fossil, Dinos on the east coast. Thanks for all the help with the Id's

Might I suggest that you contact someone at the NC State Museum in Raleigh. Don't know if Dale Russell is still there or some protege. I don't know how they will treat you (Dale is one of the best IMHO, but it's been years since I last communicated with him)

Yeah, October FOTM is...scary good! No need to post my October finds of a 3rd and 4th specimen of unknown Upper Cretaceous echinoid (coming soon to a blog near you). I'm thinking you don't bring an invert to a vert contest...this time. However, I'm stunned to be able to see so many amazing finds this month. Thanks for letting us see them. B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Any other fossils found in October? I most likely will close this thread late tonight and start the poll. :)

I'd like to thank everyone that entered! :thumbsu: It was really TOUGH narrowing it down from such a great assortment of fossils for the October poll! :wacko::D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.