ID for Bone found on beach

lynn w

Found on beach in Salvador Bay, Brazil. This is the best quality I could get with my phone. Photo with black background shows the curved part of bone well, note how smooth that part is. Color of bone in that photo is most accurate. Can anyone tell me what it is?

IMG_20190604_161144.jpg

IMG_20190604_161111.jpg

IMG_20190530_104539.jpg

4 hours ago, lynn w said:

Photo with black background shows the curved part of bone well, note how smooth that part is. Color of bone in that photo is most accurate. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Sorry, but it is not a bone.

The "smooth" part is a conchoidal fracture which identifies this rock as a piece of chert/flint.

Edit.. really missed this one.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

24 minutes ago, ynot said:

Sorry, but it is not a bone.

The "smooth" part is a conchoidal fracture which identifies this rock as a piece of chert/flint.

It's very light-weight and porous in spots, would a rock be like that? Up close there are the spongy looking or porous areas that a bone might have. 

I'm clueless, so am open to it being just a rock. 

Edit: here's a link to photos of a bison hoof core, shape and smoothness of the curved part is very similar: http://oldglassbottles.blogspot.com/2013/10/bison-antiquus-hoof-core-fossil.html

Edited by lynn w
Photo

2 hours ago, lynn w said:

It's very light-weight and porous in spots, would a rock be like that? Up close there are the spongy looking or porous areas that a bone might have. 

The porous / spongy looking areas on Your rock are on the outside (typical of chert/flint). With bone the porous / spongy areas are the inside marrow cavity.

The resemblance to a hoof core is a coincidence of nature. Aside from the general shape there are no other features of a hoof core.

Edit... this is all wrong.

• I found this Informative 1

Can we gat a shot of the "back" portion that connects to the phalanges.  Definitely looks like a hoof core.

Cheers,

Brett

11 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Can we gat a shot of the "back" portion that connects to the phalanges.  Definitely looks like a hoof core.

Cheers,

Brett

Will take a photo later, have to go to a meeting. Thanks.

I've increased the contrast .. that is porous bone and resembles a large bovid hoof core.

HoofCore_New.thumb.jpg.8cc8d3fb404668e936d743340e62fedc.jpg

For Comparison Bison:

Bovid_002.jpg.4483540e0280c8ad40129f21496a1297.jpg

Bovid_001.jpg.bc99812c1ffc9cec5f607e60c59d5ec1.jpg

Bovid_004.jpg.93f38e2ee73221565c01f82c74c77dfe.jpg

4 minutes ago, Xiphactinus said:

Looks like a small deer.

Ooops .. are those cm ?  haha .... ahh well.

Cheers,

B

1 minute ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Ooops .. are those cm ?  haha .... ahh well.

Cheers,

B

That would be one big ol foot if those were inches!

2 minutes ago, Xiphactinus said:

That would be one big ol foot if those were inches!

Haha ...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

For Comparison Bison:

The bison hoof cores are bilaterally symmetrical. The piece in question is not bilaterally symmetrical

The leading edge of the bison hoof core has a sharp edge and has a uniform curve. The piece in question has a rounded edge and has a straight line.

The bison hoof core's articulation surface extends from edge to edge and shows a typical bone surface texture.. The corresponding part of the piece in question does not.

I stick with this being a chert nodule with a conchoidal fracture that is suggestive of a hoof core, but it is not.

Edit... boy did I miss this one:DOH:

10 minutes ago, ynot said:

The bison hoof cores are bilaterally symmetrical. The piece in question is not bilaterally symmetrical

The leading edge of the bison hoof core has a sharp edge and has a uniform curve. The piece in question has a rounded edge and has a straight line.

The bison hoof core's articulation surface extends from edge to edge and shows a typical bone surface texture.. The corresponding part of the piece in question does not.

I stick with this being a chert nodule with a conchoidal fracture that is suggestive of a hoof core, but it is not.

I agree with the conchoidal fracture but would weathering cause the tubelike porous structures on the edges? I've seen pitting and things like it but not the pinhole sized "tubes". They might be grooves or scratches but they all seem to curve towards the center. 

Yeah .. those sure look like pores in a bone and are uniform in nature @Harry Pristis  the shot of the articulating surface in the back should help the ID.

Cheers,

B

Here are some more photos. Not sure what you mean by the 'the articulating surface in the back', please let me know if one of these doesn't capture it. I can stick the end of a paper clip 1/2" into some of the smaller 'pores', over 1" into the larger pores. Honestly, this piece sure looks a lot like some of the ones posted.

Edit: And thank you all for your time!

IMG_20190604_202350.jpg

IMG_20190604_201330.jpg

IMG_20190604_201553.jpg

Edited by lynn w

OK, I retract My previous statements, it is a hoof core.:DOH:

Maybe cow?

I would like to point out that bison never made it to Brazil.

10 minutes ago, ynot said:

I would like to point out that bison never made it to Brazil.

Yeah, no worries  ... for some reason I could only find nice shots of bison cores .... Google is a fickle beast.

Cheers,

B

What's the most likely animal, then? Cow? Horse? Something else? And is it from something that died last year, last century, or longer?

The quality and angle of my first photos wasn't good, seeing a rock is understandable.

1 minute ago, lynn w said:

What's the most likely animal, then? Cow? Horse? Something else?

Yes, most likely modern .. especially if it feels light, and the color suggests modern. Also, it is a bovid of some sort from Brazil .. as we suggested some type of cattle breed. Not sure you are gonna get much more specific than that ...

I pick up modern deer hoof cores on occasion on the river and they can be stained dark brown by the tannins in the water, or sometimes more bleached and dried out like your example.

Cheers,

Brett

11 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I pick up modern deer hoof cores on occasion on the river and they can be stained dark brown by the tannins in the water, or sometimes more bleached and dried out like your example.

Cheers,

Brett

Yeah, it had a lot of dark brown when I found it, got more bleached-looking when it dried out.

Many thanks to all of you for speaking up.