First time post, just found this...

Johnwick

• New Members

Hello, I found this specimen in a creek just west of Kansas City, KS. Kill Creek it's called. It was nestled behind a large rock. Not sure what it could be at all. Can provide more/higher res pictures if needed. Thanks. 

IMG_20190612_163841.jpg

IMG_20190612_163933.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I think that's a rugose coral. 

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

+1 for rugose coral

Welcome to the forum :)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

yes, a rugose horn coral :)

welcome to TFF

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yes, and a nice one !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Very nice solitary rugose 'horn' coral. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• New Members

A rugose "horn" coral eh? I'm thrilled!! I would have  never guessed it was a coral. Thank you everyone for the quick responses and warm welcomes! 

Welcome to the TFF from one forum newbie to another! I agree with everyone else. A nice little solitary rugose coral. Commonly known as "horn" coral as Tigdy's Dad mentioned. When I found my first one, the septal grooves (lines running vertically on the sides), were not very prominent. I thought it was a large tooth, until I did a little research. lol

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• New Members

Thank you for the warm welcome Ludwigia!

FossilNerd - thank you too for the warm welcome. I'm glad I'm not the only newbie on here haha! I too thought mine was a tooth or possibly a horn/talon, haha. I certainly will post more curiosities I come across as everyone here has been so warm and knowledgeable!

You are very welcome! The folks on TFF have been great so far and very helpful. They range from beginners to actual paleontologist and everything in between. Very cool place to learn and share with like minded individuals.

Just to give you an example of other solitary rugose corals and how different they can be. Here is one of the larger ones that I have, using a penny for size reference. Not my favorite way to show scale, but I wanted to follow what you did for comparison. 

Not my best specimen or pic, but it will do for a quick example. 

425FE9DA-28D2-44D6-8686-DBC1A3AC5B3A.jpeg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• New Members

Oh wow! That's a decent sized one, really nice specimen you have there FossilNerd!