Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

I’m always interested! And hard stuff just means i can spend more time at my favorite hobby!

@RJB @Ptychodus04

LOL! I’m interested in everything! 

But I think I’d win. Full list

meniers disease, ocular migraines, A.C.O.S, R.A., DDD, spinal stenosis, spinal instability,  sciatica, knees need replaced, torn rotator cuffs, and 5% disabled in rt shoulder, C.R.P.S. still with all the damage I did to myself in my youth I wouldn’t change a minute of it. Except that I would have collected fossils in my youth to stockpile for now! LOL!  Anyway anyone who wants to can pm me and we will let kris get back to showing us his amazing stuff!

On second thought I seem to remember you’ve got back problems too and also had a stroke... I’ll settle for a draw if you will.

• I found this Informative 2

:default_rofl:the mods ozoned a couple of @RJB posts that makes my last 2 posts seem out of context!:heartylaugh: I’m not crazy people really I’m not! (Well I like to prep so maybe a little)

• I found this Informative 1

58 minutes ago, Randyw said:

So. If I may ask. Do you use anything as a coating on your fish when finished?

Yes, you are crazy! But so am I!

i typically put some Vinac/Paraloid/Butvar on the fish because they like to flake off. I am currently using the last of my Vinac and then will be switching over to Paraloid B72.

Thanks! I’ve been thinking about getting some b72.

Does the b72 give it a wet appearance?

They all have a bit of a sheen. It’s caused by a layer of plastic that deposits on the surface of whatever you apply it to. I wipe the surface with an acetone soaked rag if I need to reduce the sheen after consolidating a specimen. 

I also spent a good bit of time on this Diplomystus and plant slab. The branch might continue under the fish, but I don’t think I want to take the chance of ruining the fish to find out.

7464A306-6A0E-407F-96FC-4E7E34AE4DFE.thumb.jpeg.d03d39c1b4e31ceae551a31c0ea6facd.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Diplomystus and plant slab

Very nice fish, mate and great prep work.  :wub:

Love the diplomystus and plant:wub: I’ve always had a soft spot for plates like that. It gives you a glimpse into where they lived (and died)

• I Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Love the diplomystus and plant:wub: I’ve always had a soft spot for plates like that. It gives you a glimpse into where they lived (and died)

Me too. I like them with a bit more going on than just a fish at times.

Some nice little fish Kris but im going to do some bragging here.   Ive got a diplo/plant slab thats gunna blow your diplo/plant slab out of the water!!!   My diplo/plant slab is gunna  kick your diplo/plant slabs rear end!  Your gunna throw your diplo/plant slab away when you see my diplo/plant slab!   Ok, got that out of my system.  :)   Just kidding.  Just giviing you the business like eddie haskle used to do to the beav.   Not sure how a slab of rock can kick anything also?    Keep up the good work.   I know your having some fun with these fish.  Absolutely nothing like the split fish material.   I myself have been quite busy with these fish an  I know we both will be busy for a long time.   What do you say we go trilobite hunting next year?

RB

18 hours ago, RJB said:

Some nice little fish Kris but im going to do some bragging here.   Ive got a diplo/plant slab thats gunna blow your diplo/plant slab out of the water!!!   My diplo/plant slab is gunna  kick your diplo/plant slabs rear end!  Your gunna throw your diplo/plant slab away when you see my diplo/plant slab!   Ok, got that out of my system.  :)   Just kidding.  Just giviing you the business like eddie haskle used to do to the beav.   Not sure how a slab of rock can kick anything also?    Keep up the good work.   I know your having some fun with these fish.  Absolutely nothing like the split fish material.   I myself have been quite busy with these fish an  I know we both will be busy for a long time.   What do you say we go trilobite hunting next year?

RB

:heartylaugh: You’re one funny guy you know that? You got my hopes up with all the noise about a killer Diplo slab!

Trilobites would be fun as a side stop but I’m a little lukewarm on them on the whole. They can’t hold a candle to these fish in my opinion. You’re right about the being busy with these fish for a while. I haven’t hardly put a dent into my supply. Funny thing, I was just talking to Joe a couple days ago and we got to talking about a trip back to Kemmerer next year.

I finished up this nice Knightia/fly/banana leaf plate yesterday. 

917926F2-7364-434F-A382-FFCD5E9FFEC6.thumb.jpeg.9fba0b5241bad64e7708502a6b80054d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I finished up this nice Knightia/fly/banana leaf plate yesterday. 

Nice.  Im gunna have to show you one of my fish preppin tricks sometime.   When you gunna start of of the big guys?

RB

18 minutes ago, RJB said:

Nice.  Im gunna have to show you one of my fish preppin tricks sometime.   When you gunna start of of the big guys?

RB

I’m about there. I have been trying to get through some of the smaller fish in order to free up some space in the prep lab.

prep tricks? I’m all ears.

Here’s an update on the larger Diplo I started. The Knightia abd small Diplomystus wound up being placed unfortunately on top of some of the more interesting parts of the larger fish, namely the skull. Also, they weren’t in the best state of preservation, so they had to go. I think the big fish will wind up looking better without them.

I’m not tracking hours spent since this isn’t for a client (It’s rather interesting to not care how long a prep takes) but this is somewhere around 5-6 hours.

149BDA1E-403B-4403-AD2B-1C93C085E20D.thumb.jpeg.862a8d3406457eb49caf895a2b7352bc.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Holy smokes! That is a big diplo. Looking good (as usual ).

I haven't put a tape measure to it yet but it's definitely a beast. As soon as I reach the distal tip of the caudal fin, I'll see if it's a legal size or if I have to release it. :P

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I'll see if it's a legal size or if I have to release it

Funny!  :)   Problem is,,,,,,,,,  My diplo can beat up your diplo!!!    

RB

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I haven't put a tape measure to it yet but it's definitely a beast. As soon as I reach the distal tip of the caudal fin, I'll see if it's a legal size or if I have to release it. :P

As acting fish and game warden for the Eocene I'm happy to help :thumbsu:

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Funny!  :)   Problem is,,,,,,,,,  My diplo can beat up your diplo!!!    

RB

You have some unresolved issues sir. :DOH::P

2 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

As acting fish and game warden for the Eocene I'm happy to help :thumbsu:

Awesome! Why don’t you come on over this evening and take a look at it? :P