Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m withholding judgement on the Knightia for now. If I can safely trim it close enough, I’ll leave it in place.

Good call man. 

RB

This prep is coming along nicely. I spent a couple more hours on it yesterday. The Knightia is in good shape and the matrix is very stable so it looks like he’s going to stay! I’ll trim the matrix as close to the fish as possible in order to reveal as much of the Diplo as I can. Thankfully, it’s not an inch further to the right or it would be a goner.

0AA3EC7D-6989-47A4-B685-5123451DD925.thumb.jpeg.cf56862ee296930fb72a9388d5833834.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thankfully, it’s not an inch further to the right or it would be a goner.

Its really in a good place.  Not covering much of the head and the dorsal fin is not covered in any way.  You couldn't ask for much better placement.   In my opinion its going to add a lot to the 'coolness' factor!   Nice job man.

RB

Looking good mate. I will have get myself one of these fishes they pretty nice. Keep up the good work 

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Its really in a good place.  Not covering much of the head and the dorsal fin is not covered in any way.  You couldn't ask for much better placement.   In my opinion its going to add a lot to the 'coolness' factor!   Nice job man.

RB

Yah, I’m pretty happy with it. I just uncovered a bug hanging out right at the tip of the dorsal fin too. :raindance:

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Looking good mate. I will have get myself one of these fishes they pretty nice. Keep up the good work 

Thanks. I know a guy who has a bunch of these when you’re ready. :ninja:

• I found this Informative 1

Here is sits after 3 more hours prep this afternoon. The Knightia is pretty well preserved and is well adhered to the slab. I’ll probably trim it a bit closer when I’m finishing up the slab. My only complaint on this one is the Diplo’s dentary is shoved up under the maxilla.

8F8A134D-8864-42BB-BBD0-6E58663C6D39.thumb.jpeg.83277ad1f8b718c15509ebe5286f2062.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Spent 5 more hours on this prep today. Still have a bit of the caudal fin to expose but it is looking really good. Uncovered the pelvic fin and am working between the ribs.

D1351D5C-B678-489F-82C0-E08743BF6377.thumb.jpeg.d8b5bec0a2f5ad513314be81c0810dd1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

I have not been keeping up with this sub forum and it looks like I have been missing a lot of good stuff.

Amazing fish and (as always) great prep on them.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

I have not been keeping up with this sub forum and it looks like I have been missing a lot of good stuff.

Amazing fish and (as always) great prep on them.

Thanks. These have been some fun preps.

Looking good! Some really nice preservation on this one. Love that you left the knightia on top.

That dorsal fin is really nice.

No ifs ands or butts, saving that knightia was a good call.  Lookin real good Kris.  That anul fins looks like its gunna turn out real nice too. 

RB

23 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Looking good! Some really nice preservation on this one. Love that you left the knightia on top.

That dorsal fin is really nice.

20 minutes ago, RJB said:

No ifs ands or butts, saving that knightia was a good call.  Lookin real good Kris.  That anul fins looks like its gunna turn out real nice too.

Thanks gents. The unfortunate part of this prep is that the layer immediately beneath the fish is pretty soft. Once I get out to the very tips of the fins, they want to peel off the slab. Even when I turn the pressure way down on the abrasive. Uff da!!! :angry:

Oh well as @belemniten said "Einen Tod muss man ja bekanntlich sterben" :P

On another note, this is my first prep using Paraloid B72 instead of McGean B15 (PVA) for stabilization. I am using the same 50:1 ratio of acetone to plastic as before. The Paraloid is far superior thus far to the PVA. I find that it dries with less sheen, is harder, and doesn't trap dust as readily. The main benefit is the hardness. When you stabilize with PVA and have to continue scribing matrix in the area, the PVA is always a little gummy (even after days of drying) and sticks a bit of matrix to the bone. The Paraloid breaks away more cleanly so there's less chance of the plastic pulling part of the fossil off when it goes. :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 4

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Oh well as @belemniten said "Einen Tod muss man ja bekanntlich sterben" :P

I see you are learning fast :D 

I always enjoy updates in this thread! This current fish is tremendous! Keep up the good work :fistbump:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

6 hours ago, belemniten said:

I see you are learning fast :D 

I always enjoy updates in this thread! This current fish is tremendous! Keep up the good work :fistbump:

Thanks. This is by far my most interesting green river prep to date. 

On 8/23/2019 at 8:51 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

I’ll probably trim it a bit close

Yes.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

@snolly50, it definitely needs a close shave. I plan to stabilize the matrix around the Knightia heavily with Paraloid and then come in with my Micro Jack to cut a channel right next to the fish. This will give the tightest trim with the least opportunity for structural failure. Then, I'll stabilize the edge of the matrix to ensure it doesn't try to peel off in the future.

• I found this Informative 2

5 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

olly50, it definitely needs a close shave. I plan to stabilize the matrix around the Knightia heavily with Paraloid and then come in with my Micro Jack to cut a channel right next to the fish. This will give the tightest trim with the least opportunity for structural failure. Then, I'll stabilize the edge of the matrix to ensure it doesn't try to peel off in the future.

It's going to be a wonderful display piece. The trimming will mean extra work and creates some extra risk, as you outlined; but I think it is the right aesthetic choice.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

23 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

On another note, this is my first prep using Paraloid B72 instead of McGean B15 (PVA) for stabilization. I am using the same 50:1 ratio of acetone to plastic as before. The Paraloid is far superior thus far to the PVA. I find that it dries with less sheen, is harder, and doesn't trap dust as readily. The main benefit is the hardness. When you stabilize with PVA and have to continue scribing matrix in the area, the PVA is always a little gummy (even after days of drying) and sticks a bit of matrix to the bone. The Paraloid breaks away more cleanly so there's less chance of the plastic pulling part of the fossil off when it goes. :thumbsu:

Thanks for the review of this. I have been thinking about ordering some. I guess I’ll have to break down and do it 

26 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Thanks for the review of this. I have been thinking about ordering some. I guess I’ll have to break down and do it 

So far, it seems to be superior to the B15. Plus (and it's a big plus) it's readily available and currently in production.

Great fish prep! After seeing all this fish prep posts, I just have to trick wife into letting me drive 5000 miles to get a few myself... any hints? Probably  not gonna happen :shakehead: Oh well, at least I get to drool (though it's making it hard to hold the ohone)

5 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Great fish prep! After seeing all this fish prep posts, I just have to trick wife into letting me drive 5000 miles to get a few myself... any hints? Probably  not gonna happen :shakehead: Oh well, at least I get to drool (though it's making it hard to hold the ohone)

The truck is to go on and on about it. Eventually, she will consent just so you’ll change the subject. :heartylaugh:

5 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Tell you'll be out of her hair for a while. :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.