Quick trip to a new site by Centralia

Sean976

Prior to today, the sites I have checked out were from the Devonian in the Mahantango Formation, but had heard of a spot around Centralia (yikes) PA, and decided to venture out. Carboniferous, not sure what formation? These were the most interesting items I found and wasn’t there for a very long time. Any help at ID would be great, there is a lot of leaf patterns in the slabs but they, for the most part seem identical, and also what appears to be a stem or bark of some sort. Thanks! 

C2AC40D6-8BBB-4C43-B396-CAADA90FC624.jpeg

A514084E-632A-4E77-8044-3B849F654945.jpeg

9DBB7425-9510-46BA-BEB5-2F065AA5759E.jpeg

The Bottom one is a Calamites. The top two look like Pecopteris.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Theco correctly ID'd the larger one as Calamites.  I believe the other to be the same.  The formation is the Late Pennsylvanian Llewllyn Fm, made famous by the white ferns.

There are exposures of this and the Pottsville Group all along Route 80 through that area, including some rather sizable trunks.

• I found this Informative 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

4 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

Theco correctly ID'd the larger one as Calamites.

I've been struggling with that. Is that a branch ? Wouldn't it need to be associated with a node ?

• I found this Informative 1

For those not in the know, Centralia PA is a ghosttown which is home to a coal fire that has been burning under the town since the 60s. Centralia is the real-world inspiration for the Silent Hill franchise.

Cool ferns! Please let me know if you get any vertebrate material. We know very little about the animals from those rocks.

Yes I should have explained that more thoroughly, I will update following a more detailed excursion there, especially if I come across anything other than the typical plant material from that period 

• 2 weeks later...