2 hours ago, piranha said:

Terataspis grandis  Posted ImagePosted Image  mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo57.gif&t=1566584610&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c5f-cc001b01dd00&sig=f6qI6OgERMERJ1cVg..fBg--~C

image.png.b14893ae8e79a235421875f6d9b6464f.png

WHAAA?!?! 

:default_faint::megdance::raindance::trilosurprise:

Thanks, Scott! I am over the moon!!

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

That is such an exciting find that I over-cropped your photo! eyepopping.gif   Here it is again showing the spectacular spines ... Congrats! :fistbump:

image.thumb.png.292b9e8664e4836a37daebb40d2eb17e.png

• I found this Informative 8

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hey Kane, me being a spoiled brat, most of that stuff does not do much for me but that little ammo is very interesting and that trilo is very very nice.  Cant believe that you can walk out your back door and walk a short distance and find fossils!!!   By any chance do you have a spare bedroom?  I also like my eggs over easy and just a little butter on the toast.   Ha!  :)

RB

I'm quite speechless still! I will definitely be returning to this site for more, and more. It also may confirm that the material imported may be Bois Blanc Fm. 

@RJB - Devonian inverts are definitely an acquired taste. :P I just love it that the developers bring the rock to me without knowing it. Certainly cuts down on any drive time. :D  

22 hours ago, piranha said:

Terataspis grandis  Posted ImagePosted Image  mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo57.gif&t=1566584610&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c5f-cc001b01dd00&sig=f6qI6OgERMERJ1cVg..fBg--~C

The giant trilobite that's never been found whole? I saw a replica on display once. It is like half a meter long!

2 hours ago, Scylla said:

The giant trilobite that's never been found whole? I saw a replica on display once. It is like half a meter long!

Complete specimens do exist... loosing-it-smiley.gif?1292867633

48 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Where are they, pray tell?

31 minutes ago, Scylla said:

Yes, where?:ninja:

Privately held: anonymous smiley collector smiley

• I found this Informative 3

Oh, they exist, but the chances of seeing one in person are about as good as your chances of meeting the Easter Bunny. I didn't think they existed either.

I have been hunting the papers for a long time now trying to find out where to find these, as it is literally my main goal as a collector at the moment to find them. (Not complete, I can't travel to the real pay dirt... or Kane's backyard...)

Very jealous. You and @Malcolmt are not allowed in my country anymore, lol.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

4 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

You are both still welcome in mine though:wub:

8 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

You stay out of this, @Scylla, lol! (I'm obviously kidding, I don't want anyone to get offended.)

Hey, they have the good trilobites dude:P

28 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Oh, they exist, but the chances of seeing one in person are about as good as your chances of meeting the Easter Bunny. I didn't think they existed either.

I have been hunting the papers for a long time now trying to find out where to find these, as it is literally my main goal as a collector at the moment to find them. (Not complete, I can't travel to the real pay dirt... or Kane's backyard...)

I’ll have you up here for a serious collecting tour one day. :hammer01:

On 8/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, piranha said:

Congrats Kane! That is awesome! :yay-smiley-1:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

An update on the site and its fossils...

I managed to visit six times in the last week, but with nothing spectacular since my initial round of finds. Reading these rocks is a distinct challenge as their provenance is not entirely certain, and they do not appear neatly in a stratigraphic order. Many of the rocks are also brutally hard, and so only shatter.

The rocks themselves appear as repeating recognizable types. I can order these by most to least abundant:

1. Brutally hard, light grey limestone with no apparent bedding planes. Sparsely fossiliferous, and mostly a few coral bits, or simply blank. Fractures to show either whitish grey chalky texture, light tan sandy texture, or dull grey and smooth. Some contain car tire sized corals/stromatoporoid domes.

2. Tan-coloured, sandy matrix. Very hard and only containing sporadic, white skeletal rostroconch and occasional small horn coral. I have seen far too many rostroconch in my trips there!

3. Light tan rock that fractures into jagged blocks, containing no other fauna but a smooth brachiopod that can easily be popped free from the matrix.

4. Greyish tan, more easily weathered matrix, mostly containing a massive tangle of thin corals that resemble miniature worm burrows. No other fauna present. This layer can have a thickness of between 10 - 30 cm.

5. Tan matrix that splits in sheets, showing a kind of muddy seabed environment containing mostly gastropod steinkerns and some nautiloids. Some significantly sized high-spired gastropod steinkerns can be found. 

6. Grey-tan rocks that split to reveal a darker brown, sandy matrix with abundant white skeletal material. Dominated by fenestellate bryozoans (many distinct species), various brachiopods, large corals (rugose and tabulate), presumably near-shore or high-energy environment given the number of disarticulated bits. Relatively abundant trilobite partials: Crassiproetus pygidia, and Pseudodechenella cheeks/spines. -- These rocks are by far the most promising, and in which I found that Terataspis fragment. Rostroconch also present in these rocks.

Challenges include the relative hardness of the material, the occasional pre-split rocks containing nothing more than a coating of black mineralization or blankness due to erosion factors, and the fact that some of the massive examples are buried under a lot of other rocks that take a great deal of time to "unlock." My resources for identifying these rocks in terms of stratigraphy are not particularly numerous or well described. I'm hoping that being able to read these rocks in terms of apparent taphonomy will better optimize my searches. It would certainly help if I can identify any key index fossils that can be correlated with very precise stratigraphy. 

• I found this Informative 4

Disarticulated trilobite fragment that contains some thoracic segments (not common in these rocks); curious mineralization on this Crassiproetus pygidium as this is the only example in these rocks where they come out orange instead of more whitish. 

P8280291.JPG

P8280293.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

The importance of completeness or just simply hoarding? Nearly a dozen Crassiproetus pygidia all collected from rock type #6. I will likely continue keeping these until I can find a complete example, but given the paleoenvironment in which these occur it is not highly likely to find more than just moults and bits. However, collecting these may tell me a bit more about the rock.

IMG_6270.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Assorted specimens. At the top is that wormy coral stuff from rock type #4. Beneath that is a Pseudodechenella cheek, matrix-free brachs from rock type #3, matrix-free and in-matrix rostroconch pieces, some Pseudodechenella pygidia. 

Attempting to systematically reconstruct all this from a jumble of imported rocks may seem a fool's errand, but the fact that they can all be grouped into distinct types does cut down on the "randomness" factor. I'd love to be able to pin stratigraphy to these rocks. There are elements here reminiscent of the Bois Blanc, Formosa reef, and the Anderdon Member of the Lucas Fm ("Columbus limestone"). 

There is a ridiculous number of rostroconch which I tend to leave in the field, but might make a special trip to retrieve as it would be nice to gift them to @Peat Burns (and if there are other Bois Blanc specimens you are looking for, let me know and I'll fill a few buckets!). 

IMG_6272.JPG

• I found this Informative 2