The right time of the year to hunt

FossilizedJello

Something that I have always wondered about collecting fossils is it seems depending on the seasons and there are always better times to go. Of course, it entirely depends on the environment of deposition of the locality but in terms of areas like creeks or rivers that cut through formations, when is it really the right time to go? Of course there are variables like how much traffic is there, what times or weather does the area see, and temperatures. I can argue that spring can be the best time because fresh material and its been releasing fossils throughout the winter. On the other hand, I can argue that in the fall can be the best because of the amount of storms that must have occurred since the spring and material was being washed out all year. I believe there is correlation to higher temperature and more easily eroded material providing more fossils. I also believe in going when no one else will, like the winter. And there is always at the end of a big storm.

But no matter how much I like to speculate, one day you can go and have tremendous luck, and other days there just isn't as much material.

Thoughts?

It's a lottery as you've said and depends of a lot of parameters :D

At least don't forget to mention the experience of the collector.

I prefer hunting in the daylight because I find that the fossils hide at night.  <_<

I have said before that a fossil hunter's best friends are heavy rains and long droughts.  One washes the fossils out, the other exposes fossils in lakes and streams that are normally under water. 

As far as seasons go, that's regional to a large extent. In Texas, summer is a tough time to be outdoors for much of the day.  Winter is no problem.  Up north, winter covers everything with snow (and the fossils hibernate).  Rainy season is a good time.  Again, here in Texas, deer season is NOT a good time.  How well a site is known and when it was last trafficked is a factor.  How much you are on your game is another factor.  Whether are not you are willing to put in the extra effort to look where it is less convenient and where others might not look is still another factor.  

• I found this Informative 1

I live in Texas so I prefer hunting in the dead of winter. The cold and rain tends to keep most people away and the constant rises of the creeks and rivers wash out treasures. I also hunt when it's 100 degs but it's hard to make it a whole day. 

When I lived back east I was so excited to get to Big Brook a few days after a major tropical storm had passed over and dumped on us. It was a TOTAL BUST! Despite all the gravel and sand having been worked up and turned over the fossils were completely absent. It took a few more rain events to get things going again.

Here in Texas my collecting schedule is now all backwards. Back east I spent winter identifying and cataloging the stuff from the previous three seasons. Now, when its 100 degrees for weeks on end I do my cataloging. 

I just like to collect, but with that said, I would rather hunt in the +90 degree heat and humidity in Illinois rather than a below freezing day with no snow. Too much time is spent trying to get things out of the frozen ground in the Winter and on steep slopes I trust my footing more in the Summertime.

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I just like to collect, but with that said, I would rather hunt in the +90 degree heat and humidity in Illinois rather than a below freezing day with no snow. Too much time is spent trying to get things out of the frozen ground in the Winter and on steep slopes I trust my footing more in the Summertime.

I definitely agree with this. I tried hunting Mazon Creek this year on opening week, but the ground was still frozen. I came away with more bruises than nodules. But going in the summer, despite the bugs and heat, is much more enjoyable.

I hunt during the warmer weather and catalogue/try to identify in the winter months. I hate the cold. Always have. I’d rather work all day outside in 100 degree heat with 100% humidity (and I sometimes do!) than to walk to the mail box when it’s below freezing. I threaten the family with moving out west at least once a week during the winter. Lol 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Just now, FossilNerd said:

I hunt during the warmer weather and catalogue/try to identify in the winter months. I hate the cold. Always have. I’d rather work all day outside in 100 degree heat with 100% humidity (and I sometimes do!) than to walk to the mail box when it’s below freezing. I threaten the family with moving out west at least once a week during the winter. Lol 

Move to Wyoming.  In this party of the west winter can come any time between September and May, and even June.

FossilNerd's post proves that there are crazy people in this world.  (I say that is all friendliness).  100 deg 100 percent is misery squared.  

Wyoming's fossiling season is definitely summer, and however many days spring and fall last.  I tried to go hunting once at minus 20 F and the ground was frozen  I could not even dig into the solid ice to retrieve small samples o bones.   But I was bundles up and very comfortable.   : )

Best time to do anything is when you have the time.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

2 hours ago, jpc said:

FossilNerd's post proves that there are crazy people in this world.  (I say that is all friendliness).  100 deg 100 percent is misery squared.

:heartylaugh:

Oh, I never claimed to be sane... ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

3 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Best time to do anything is when you have the time.

Yup, I agree with this. 

Due to work and family commitments I have very limited free time. Have had only 1 opportunity to go fossil hunting so far. But will hopefully get out there again soon. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

On 8/30/2019 at 4:22 AM, jpc said:

Move to Wyoming.  In this party of the west winter can come any time between September and May, and even June.

Wyoming's fossiling season is definitely summer, and however many days spring and fall last.  I tried to go hunting once at minus 20 F and the ground was frozen  I could not even dig into the solid ice to retrieve small samples o bones.   But I was bundles up and very comfortable.   : )

We’re moving to Wyoming in late September or early October from England. I know it’s a little off topic, but what can I expect weather-wise for that time? 

More on topic, are there any good sites to legally go hunting at near Cheyenne? I’m excited for fossil opportunities there, but at a complete loss too!

It looks like you should expect cool temperatures with possible light rain or snow. Avoid the extremes of precipitation and cold; most of the time the weather looks delightful. 

See this for details: https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/cheyenne/wyoming/united-states/uswy0032

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I find the shoulder seasons to be best, but they can be quite variable and unpredictable. Obviously we can't collect up here in the winter, and summer can be a challenge when the mercury hits 40+ C. 

I have "fond" memories this year when, at the tail end of April when we had the TFF meetup dig in NY, I was collecting in horizontal-flying sleet. :blink: But up here, autumn is the best because water levels are lower, temps are reasonable, and the flora is thinned out. The only downside is less daylight.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 8/31/2019 at 5:56 AM, thelivingdead531 said:

We’re moving to Wyoming in late September or early October from England. I know it’s a little off topic, but what can I expect weather-wise for that time? 

More on topic, are there any good sites to legally go hunting at near Cheyenne? I’m excited for fossil opportunities there, but at a complete loss too!

I think you mentioned previously that there was some air force involved in this move, right.  So you will be here longer then just Sept and Oct.  Anyway, those months are when it starts to cool ff.  The fossiling weather is hit or miss and by Halloween it is mostly just plain cold.  Kids who go trick or treating as ballerinas are locals who are not afraid of cold.  

Cheyenne has no real public fossiling places, neither does northern Colorado (you will be 12 miles away).  The only local ones are way out west in the fish quarries.  On the other hand,if you can meet some ranchers who might let you on.... 

And don't forget to come visit the Tate Museum in Casper.  I'll show you around.  (if I am there that day). 

Just now, jpc said:

I think you mentioned previously that there was some air force involved in this move, right.  So you will be here longer then just Sept and Oct.  Anyway, those months are when it starts to cool ff.  The fossiling weather is hit or miss and by Halloween it is mostly just plain cold.  Kids who go trick or treating as ballerinas are locals who are not afraid of cold.  

Cheyenne has no real public fossiling places, neither does northern Colorado (you will be 12 miles away).  The only local ones are way out west in the fish quarries.  On the other hand,if you can meet some ranchers who might let you on.... 

And don't forget to come visit the Tate Museum in Casper.  I'll show you around.  (if I am there that day). 

Oh, and it will be windy.  

In my park of Alaska its spring-fall. Which is usually mid April thru late September.  All depends on ground temps and precipitation. This year we wete able to get out in early March due to a week of warm up. The coldest I've collected in was the TFF trip to DSR this April! In New York. Even we Alaskans know not to dig fossils in the snow!