DIANE DAWSON

I found this in schuyler county, Missouri about 3 or 4 miles from lancaster a few weeks ago. My grandson would like to take it to school but I felt we needed a bit more information.  I am not even positive it IS petrified wood and amber.  Whatever it is, I think it's extra pretty!  

20190930_204758.jpg

It looks like calcite and possibly another carbonate. Does a metal knife blade scratch each of the 3 colored layers? If so, it is not quartz or related silica.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I don't know?  Yes, it does scratch.  Btw.  He is 10.  So, it doesn't have to be super technical.  

It all three layers scratch then they probably are carbonates such as calcite and aragonite and probably were part of a concretion or cave deposit. It is not amber or petrified wood; just a very pretty rock.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thank you.  Well, We found a couple of things for him to take that I was able to Id from other members previous posts.  It's all mostly shells here.  He's going to take it along as an *extra*.  

Hi. Very nice specimen. I would definitely have added that to my collection if I saw it. 

P.S. -- Your forum ID says you are located in Lancaster, no. no is the abbreviation for Norway. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!