Russian ichthyosaur tooth?

Cederholm

1 hour ago, Cartoonfossil said:

What is pliosaur specie?

See here for the post in which I identify the tooth as belonging to Liopleurodon sp., but here for @RuMert's counter-argument for the tooth being of Cretaceous age and therefore brachauchenine.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

18 minutes ago, RuMert said:

New Russian pliosaur species to existing genera have not been described for a long time,  if Liopleurodon, then ferox, but the genus is not that sure, see above

Seeing as both the Russian and UK sites are supposed to have been part of the same boreal palaeobiogeographical zone (see Madzia, Szczygielski and Wolniewicz, 2021) it is indeed likely that teeth of similar age and morphology with the same kind of ornamentation (including boldness of striae) would belie Ron the same species within a genus. However, as I get the impression insufficient research has been done to support this assumption, I prefer maintaining the necessary reservation and still identify the tooth as Liopleurodon sp., although the more proper identification would indeed be "Liopleurodon cf. L. ferox".

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

เมื่อเห็นว่าทั้งไซต์ของรัสเซียและสหราชอาณาจักรควรจะเป็นส่วนหนึ่งของเขตบรรพชีวินวิทยาทางเหนือเดียวกัน (ดูMadzia, Szczygielski และ Wolniewicz, 2021 ) มีแนวโน้มว่าฟันที่อายุเท่ากันและมีลักษณะที่เหมือนกันด้วยการตกแต่งแบบเดียวกัน (รวมถึงความกล้าหาญ ของ striae) จะปฏิเสธว่ารอนเป็นสายพันธุ์เดียวกันภายในสกุล อย่างไรก็ตาม เนื่องจากฉันได้รับความประทับใจจากการวิจัยที่ไม่เพียงพอเพื่อสนับสนุนข้อสันนิษฐานนี้ ฉันชอบที่จะรักษาสำรองที่จำเป็นและยังคงระบุฟันเป็น  Liopleurodon  sp. แม้ว่าการระบุที่เหมาะสมกว่าจะเป็น " Liopleurodon  cf.  L. ferox "

Thank you