A varied collection

Metopolychas

Very nice collection! As others stated, I like the ones you have found the best. :)

Most of my fossils have been found, and a few I have bought or have been gifted to me. I have some really nice (to me anyway...) purchased specimens, but the ones I have found, and the memories that go with them, mean the most. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

The real ammonite (photo#3) is a Douveilliceras mammillatum, certainly from Madagascar.

The last photo does not have an ammonite on it.  The fossil on the upper left is the underside of a colonial coral.

The slab with the straight-shelled nautiloids in a black rock is certainly from Morocco, they are produced and sold in enormous numbers from there.  You can find examples in probably every rock shop in the world.   I have never seen them produced in this form from any Scandanavian or Baltic country.  They are often called Orthoceras, but that genus does not occur in Morocco.  It is not possible to ID the genus (or genera) on these polished slabs as the grinding/polishing removes essential features needed for an ID.

Don

12 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Glad I could help, I have one in my collection. Very nice collection, I especially like your plant fossil and teeth. Not many plant fossils in Florida but many many fossils! :) Happy hunting!

We're planning a trip to Svalbard again for maybe next year. If I find more plants I'd be happy to send you some! 

10 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

The real ammonite (photo#3) is a Douveilliceras mammillatum, certainly from Madagascar.

The last photo does not have an ammonite on it.  The fossil on the upper left is the underside of a colonial coral.

The slab with the straight-shelled nautiloids in a black rock is certainly from Morocco, they are produced and sold in enormous numbers from there.  You can find examples in probably every rock shop in the world.   I have never seen them produced in this form from any Scandanavian or Baltic country.  They are often called Orthoceras, but that genus does not occur in Morocco.  It is not possible to ID the genus (or genera) on these polished slabs as the grinding/polishing removes essential features needed for an ID.

Don

Thanks Don! I figured it would have to be an ammonite or a cross section of a coral. Wasn't sure if ammonite fit with the age which I think is silur (if I'm reading the map right). Was hoping though. 

And Moroccan on the black one might fit better, based on price at least. Quite large but I didn't pay much for it so if they're so common that sounds more correct. Bah. Would be fun to have something 'local', but I've found a place with LOTS of big ones! Not in black stone but should look good if I manage prepping anyway. IMG_20191031_084524.thumb.jpg.824e809e8594793039222e0838ac144f.jpg

Big one :D

17 hours ago, Metopolychas said:

We're planning a trip to Svalbard again for maybe next year. If I find more plants I'd be happy to send you some! 

That's very kind of you. I would love a fossil from Norway. My Grandparents were from Norway and Sweden. Thanks so much! 

15 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

That's very kind of you. I would love a fossil from Norway. My Grandparents were from Norway and Sweden. Thanks so much! 

Cool! I think a lot more have relatives from Norway/Scandinavia than I think. But fun! I'll let you know :)