Bugs

worthy 55

I never paid much attention to the sea roach (Trilobites) but they are really cool.These are not mine, I just ran across them looking at a web site just wanted to share the pictures with you all.

post-23-1204898793.gif

post-23-1204898812.jpg

post-23-1204898829_thumb.jpg

post-23-1204898847_thumb.jpg

post-23-1204898868_thumb.jpg

post-23-1204898891_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Guest Nicholas

I have about 18 Trilos, some very good quality some not. I used to love them and wanted only them but my tastes have changed over time. If I collect any more of them they will only be the ones I find or if I buy one it will be an interesting one. Those are excellent Trilos you have above!

Worthy

Most cool..I hate to ask, but is there anyway,

you could post that first lil guy a little larger?

Or are they in your gallery?

Welcome to the forum!

Are there any sites for trilos in the Southeast? Anson, have you ever come across any here in FL?

No Trilobites are from the Cambrian to the Permian, Florida is relatively young geologically surface outcrops are typically Eocene to Pleistocene so no trilo's in Florida.

Guest solius symbiosus
Are there any sites for trilos in the Southeast? Anson

Whole Trilobites are relatively rare(kind of like Crinoids), but in many Paleozoic rocks one can find partial pieces. Over the years, I have found ... probably over a thousand pieces; out of that, maybe 50 nearly complete ones, and 10 whole pieces.

Nice Trilobites Worthy. Is the first a Cryptolythus?

Those are not mine ,wish they were though. Look at the web site (Stones and Bones) to see them and more. I just wanted you guys to check them out.

post-23-1204915895.gif

It's my bone!!!

I never paid much attention to the sea roch (Trilobites) but they are really cool.

I'm impressed, Worthy. If these are your bugs, you have some deep pockets! This looks like American prep work (versus "local" or Moroccan prep), and that is expensive.

That is really a dramatic presentation of the Paralejurus (I think) in the third image!

Here's my rather prosaic, though large, Paralejurus (Scutellum) specimen. I forget the species name, and I can't find the label. This is the larger of the two Paralejurus species. Help me out here.

------Harry Pristis

post-42-1204915984_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry

Sorry, I don't know which species that is, but those eyes are huge..

Great specimens on here.

Seems like the ones that had eyes at all, had really small ones. May have

needed them that large to see in the murky waters, just a guess.

Welcome to the forum!

Guest Nicholas

Here a picture of my best and first sea roach! I am 99% sure it is a Phacops rana. It is my favorite. There are more pictures of it in my gallery.

post-163-1204917308_thumb.jpg

Harry: I know of P. hamlagdadicus and P.dormitzieri. I think the first one is the larger one. Does that ring a bell?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest solius symbiosus

As an undergrad, I found an undescribed lichid that I left with the Uni. Over years of collecting the same outcrop, I found 13 cephalons and 2 pygidia. The outcrop that I found them at is now a lumberyard, but a couple weeks ago, I was at an outcrop a couple of miles from that one, in the same bed, and found another partial Lichid pygidium. Not much there, and I need the cephalon to tell if it is the same specie, but neat none the less.

EDIT:There is a Gravicalymene glabella on the other side of this.

post-179-1204918767_thumb.jpg

Harry: I know of P. hamlagdadicus and P.dormitzieri. I think the first one is the larger one. Does that ring a bell?

Thanks, NS . . . Paralejurus hamlagdadicus doesn't resonate; but, that's not a name that might stick in mind like a passage of a song or an advertizing jingle from TV.

In fact, if we had a contest in which we submitted the least musical, least euphonious scientific names, Paralejurus hamlagdadicus would make a competitive entry. :blink:

Now there's a couple of contests for the Forum, Anson . . . submit and vote on the least euphonious and the most euphonious scientific names. I can think of some I'd nominate.

-------Harry Pristis :)

What seest thou else

The first trilobites is Harpes perradiatus normaly from Boudib (Morocco).

Harry Pristis, about paralejurus is Paralejurus spatuliformis, lower Devonian; FMC: Hamar Langhdad, from Ma'der (Marruecos). SCHRAUT & FEIST, 2004 before was named P. hamlagdadicus or campanifer.

Mines were bought directly in Morocco preparated with modern device, quality similar to photos.

The first trilobites is Harpes perradiatus normaly from Boudib (Morocco).

Harry Pristis, about paralejurus is Paralejurus spatuliformis, lower Devonian; FMC: Hamar Langhdad, from Ma'der (Marruecos). SCHRAUT & FEIST, 2004 before was named P. hamlagdadicus or campanifer.

Mines were bought directly in Morocco preparated with modern device, quality similar to photos.

Thank you, Trilospain, for the label, including the latest taxonomy. How would I write this label?

Paralejurus spatuliformis (Schraut & Feist, 2004)

Lower Devonian

Hamar Langhdad Fm

Ma'der, Morocco

There has been a lot of attention to Moroccan trilobites in the past 20 years, and I probably have some labels that need correcting. I appreciate the help.

I have seen some skillfully-prepared trilobites recently, prepared in Morocco. The technology to do that sort of prep work is filtering into the country. In 1992, I watched trilobites being prepared there using sharpened masonry nails with a socket wrench as a hammer. I would never say that Moroccans are not industrious and innovative.

-------Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

Guest solius symbiosus
Harry, I would but i'm not sure what euphonious means :huh:

I too had to look that one up.:)

Lower Devonian

Hamar Langhdad Fm

Ma'der, Morocco

There has been a lot of attention to Moroccan trilobites in the past 20 years, and I probably have some labels that need correcting. I appreciate the help.

I have seen some skillfully-prepared trilobites recently, prepared in Morocco. The technology to do that sort of prep work is filtering into the country. In 1992, I watched trilobites being prepared there using sharpened masonry nails with a socket wrench as a hammer. I would never say that Moroccans are not industrious and innovative.

-------Harry Pristis[/size][/font]

That's perfect, if you ned anything else about devonian trilobites from Morocco i will try help you.

About preparation, i have been in Morocco several time looking for trilobites. Ten years ago they prepareted trilobites like you said, but now they have bought technology and you can find very nice bugs from there and cheaper, the problem are the fake trilobites. They have improved the falsification technique as well.

Are the false ones completely false or are they extensive reconstructions from several different fossils? I have seen how they will recreate missing pieces of bugs and pass them off as whole. Not that I would ever be foolish enough to have purchased one of those and have it sitting next to me on the nightstand...

Jim

http://www.saharaoverland.com/faking_it.asp

... EDIT: deleted..

Here's a couple of helpful links showing how Moroccan trilobites are faked/repaired. I'd be very cautious about shelling out big bucks for any of those really spiny ones without an ironclad guarantee of authenticity.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Lower Devonian

Hamar Langhdad Fm

Ma'der, Morocco

-------Harry Pristis[/size][/font]

That's perfect, if you ned anything else about devonian trilobites from Morocco i will try help you.

About preparation, i have been in Morocco several time looking for trilobites. Ten years ago they prepareted trilobites like you said, but now they have bought technology and you can find very nice bugs from there and cheaper, the problem are the fake trilobites. They have improved the falsification technique as well.

Here's one I bought in Morocco. This is an example of good, "local" preparation in 1992. I see now some Psychopyge prepared with three spines on each segment of the thorax. Is there more than one species of Psychopyge?

----Harry Pristis

post-42-1205013072_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

The typical species from Morocco is the elegans and i think that it's yours.

The problem of the traditional preparation was that they did not clean the spines and the details were not appraised well, but at least they did not put them of artifical form as it happening now in the majority.

I have one phacops armatus from there bought in 1996 without spines as well.

Did you buy it in Erfoud?

I think this web page could help you:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jb.gayet/pages...ychoelegans.htm